EA Active Sports VS. My new Polar FT40 HRM...

Lisa__Michelle
Lisa__Michelle Posts: 845 Member
edited September 24 in Fitness and Exercise
I just received my new white Polar FT40 in the mail today and decided to put it to the test against the results EA Sports Active 2 gives me. I burned double the calories of what EA active sports said I was burning and for 10 more minutes than the game said. Here are the results...

EA Sports Results:
Calories burned: 245
Minutes Played: 40 min.
Average Heart Rate: 139
Maximum Heart Rate: 184

Polar FT40 Results:
Calories Burned: 480
Minutes Played: 50 min.
Average Heart Rate: 149
Maximum Heart Rate: 184

Another interesting fact is that my HRM that has NO chest strap (my old one...MIO drive) read that I burned double of what my new one with a chest strap said (760). I knew there was NO way. So my advice is to DEFINITELY get a HRM WITH A CHEST STRAP! You can't fail if you have one. My other advice is that if you have EA Sports Active 2, to get a heart rate monitor so you will be eating back your calories correctly because it turns out I was undereating this whole time! That explains why my weight loss has been VERY SLOW and minimal!

Replies

• dracobaby82
    dracobaby82 Posts: 380 Member
    I completely agree... an hrm with a chest strap is a must! I was wondering the same thing with Your Shape (xbox kinect) seems like I burn more then what the game is saying that I am... haven't tested it yet, soon tho!
  • Natural
    Natural Posts: 461 Member
    the chest strap rules. it's the best IMHO and most accurate.
  • BigBoneSista
    BigBoneSista Posts: 2,389 Member
    I completely agree... an hrm with a chest strap is a must! I was wondering the same thing with Your Shape (xbox kinect) seems like I burn more then what the game is saying that I am... haven't tested it yet, soon tho!

You are burning more. I've tested it.
  • might4
    might4 Posts: 99 Member
    Getting ready for my evening walk with my new Polar FT7 and I can't wait to see what I actually burn during my walks!
  • Lisa__Michelle
    Lisa__Michelle Posts: 845 Member
    Yea I am never going to go without it when working out.
  • Nigel99
    Nigel99 Posts: 498 Member

In my case, I found Your Shape was underestimating my calories burned by up to 50% over a 30 minute combination of fitness and trainer exercises. Have to go with the chest strap HRM for sure.
This discussion has been closed.