Has anyone actually looked at the SUBWAY nutritional info?

Options
Just looking at their website and I noticed that the wheat bread is not the lowest calorie bread availalbe...its the italian. Oh and the wraps are the highest calorie/carb option too. Just another example of how marketing leads us astray when we are trying to make good decisions.

Anyone else find examples of this out there?

Replies

• emilyhbrown
    Options
    When i logged a subway sandwhich in my diary it had sooooo much sodium in it. More than my daily intake..now i'm not too sure if subway is really a healthy choice
  • hippo_hips
    hippo_hips Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I get the 9 grain bread. I was just reading their nutrition menu thing yesterday.
  • oshmom
    oshmom Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I noticed the sodium too. I had all fresh veggies (no pickles, olives or peppers) and no spreads with 2 pieces of ham and 2 pieces of turkey, no cheese and it was 550 mg sodium!
  • Naomi91
    Naomi91 Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    The only way subway is a healthy choice is if you get a salad i think.

The meats are very processed, all high in sodium, the bread have about 439420 ingredients in them, and the wheat isnt even 100% whole wheat

I find that subway sandwhiches are yummy, but not a good option IMO
  • MelissaL582
    MelissaL582 Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    Yeah, the sodium is ridiculous. I've been to a few restaurants and got a salad with grilled chicken..came home and saw the sodium- I was shocked! Ugh, might as well just stay home.
  • AggieCass09
    AggieCass09 Posts: 1,867 Member
    Options
    This is why I no longer go to subway.

Also for the meat-eaters out there....check out the ingredient list for the meats...I didn't realize ham was made from turkey...eek (so glad I'm a vegetarian!)
  • courtneykrueger
    Options
    Yea! The one day (since I have started) that I had Subway it ruined my day! The calories were crazy and it didn't fill me up! I was hungry all day with no calories left. I haven't eatten there since.
  • jrueckert
    jrueckert Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    Subway is a great fast food option. It's the best you can get calorie wise. Get a 6 inch and it's fine.
  • legacysh
    legacysh Posts: 464
    Options
    I choose to eat there a lot, because I know what I am getting and can plan it in for my lunches. I also have the option of apples as a side... I drink more water when the sodium levels are higher..
  • james3302
    Options
    anytime you get out you are going to get alot of sodium. On top of that add the fact that more sandwiches use lunch meat an you get alot of sodium. I cannot think of any place where I can eat a meal for under 350 calories(6 inch turkey on wheat) and be full.
  • dawnkitchen
    Options
    If I'm going to have to grab some fast food, I'm going to go to Subway. Yes, the sodium is high - but so is any kind of packaged/processed food.
  • crazytxmom
    crazytxmom Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I usually get the grilled chicken made into a salad. Skip the cheese. Then I add on more veggies. You've got to be very light on the dressing too.

It works in a pinch, but nothing "fast food" is good food.
  • kkuhly
    kkuhly Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Subway is a great option for fast food if you compare it to say...Burger King. Yes there may be A LOT of sodium in the processed meat but compare that with the sodium in a hamburger and I would say you are doing pretty good. Plus, you can get a veggie sub with apple slices and yogurt or milk on the side and you have a pretty balanced meal that is low in calories and decently nutritional.
  • MassiveDelta
    MassiveDelta Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    Subway is a horrible option if your watching sodium. Its an amazing opiton if you are in a bind and need a semi healthy fast food option.

subway tastes great and isnt horrid. Make your choice. A double whopper form the burger king or a 6" Veggie Delight. I know what I would choose. Lets not bash on subway they are probably one of the most health conscious restaurant chains available to the public as a chain.
  • ms_april
    ms_april Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    IMHO the main thing is to look at the nutrition info BEFORE you go out to eat and plan your food choices using that as a guide.
    Nothing worse than ordering a salad only to realize you could have had a burger with less calories, fat or sodium. Plus if a restaurant doesn't make their nutrition info public it say a lot to me; like "stay away".

Chic-fil-A is a good option for fast food.
    http://www.chick-fil-a.com/Food/Healthful-Lifestyle

Arby's also has a couple of ok options if you just leave off the mayo most the sandwiches on their value menu are around 200 calories but the sodium could be an issue with the ham or fried chicken sandwich and they only cost a buck.
  • portlandsundevil
    portlandsundevil Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Yep, and it's definitely not as healthy as they want you to think. However, still a better option than 90% of the other fast food places out there. Their sodium is a killer for sure.
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    Yeah, even a Veggie Delite has like 840mg of sodium for a footlong. Still, it's okay once in a great while if I don't have anything prepared for lunch at work.
  • lisawest
    lisawest Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    We do eat at Subway very infrequently. When I do, I get the roast beef. It's lowest in sodium of the meats.

The shocker I got was at Applebee's last night. I order the chipotle lime chicken. I didn't eat the black bean and corn cole slaw (which they don't seperate out on the website). I DID eat the rice. On the menu it said it was 13 WW points, so I knew it wouldn't be TOO expensive calorie-wise. Got home and logged it. Only 500 calories, but 5,250 mg sodium!:noway: I have no idea how much of that was in the slaw that I didn't eat, but still!
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    Yep, and it's definitely not as healthy as they want you to think. However, still a better option than 90% of the other fast food places out there. Their sodium is a killer for sure.

Exactly, which is why when i find myself in a jam and have to do FF. I go to Subway.

I even have Ms Vickies Jalpeno chips. But don't tell anyone.
  • jimmydeanbakker
    Options
    The healthiest choice when it comes to Subway is not to eat there. The sodium is through the roof.