From Housekeeping Monthly, 13 May, 1955

Options
13»

Replies

• Wendi_S
    Wendi_S Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    After teasing and funning around is done I can`t imagine very many men (at least around this area I live) who would really want a wife as described.
    I wouldn`t,it really doesn`t sound like a lot of fun to have more of a servant then a friend and soul mate.

Hell I'm looking for a servant!!!!
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options
    AHAHAHA um no
  • SmartFunGorgeous
    SmartFunGorgeous Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    The sad thing is, that was the reality. Until my grandmother passed away, she still waited on my grandpa hand and foot. If he was out of tea, he'd rattle the ice in his glass. My uncle, who never moved out of their house, would do the same. She'd just get up and get them some more. It may seem hilarious to people today, but it is heart-rending to know that was the reality for women 55-60 years ago. Thank heavens those ladies said to heck with that crap and started changing things!

p.s. That dress IS way cute. I can't wait until I feel comfortable in dresses again. I loved to wear dresses when I was smaller! :heart:
  • ChelseaRW
    ChelseaRW Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    This article would seem illogical to most with the vast majority of women out of the house today as compared to 1955...the only thing to glean now is be nice to your man and he will be nice to you( and yes it works both ways!) Speaking as someone who gave up a career to stay home...There IS a deep satisfaction in making someone else happy. However...the idea that a man was ever MASTER to woman...HA HA HA HA HA. Just know that every little effort you make to show him your love won't go unnoticed if enough time is spent in doing so....(if not....I pity that man for his idiocy)