Calorie Burning Question

Options
Hi All: Okay after reading some of the blogs I see it's proper to introduce yourself.
I'm Babsy Baby ( the cute one on the left ) I don't have a pic. of just me. I suppose I could have chopped him out, but that seemed rude. I'm in Washington State. 44, 4 teenagers..........I like to say I'm in the alcohol stage of my life!
I have always had a great self esteem, known I was chubby, but loved me anyway.......until I went to buy some new clothes. What a slap in the face. size 20? yikes.
So I decided to give it a shot yet again. I've bought all the books and wear the tshirt, Jenny / Weight watchers ( barely got my bookmark ) Nutrisytem, you name it.
However this looks like fun. I joined a gym, and have a guy advising me on workouts. I'll be happy to share what I'm learning and you'll save the money!
I'm 245 and want to knock off 60.
I'm only at day 2, but I've never seen or used a site like this.
So here we go.

This is my first blog.........ever! How many calories burned equal one pound of fat loss? Not sure if that is a correct question I just found my BMR 1800 and I'm consuming 1650 and burning 300. ( in general in a day ). So I was wondering is there a number that if you burn X amount of calories to lose 1 lb. of fat?

Replies

• babsybaby
    Options
    Hi All: Okay after reading some of the blogs I see it's proper to introduce yourself.
    I'm Babsy Baby ( the cute one on the left ) I don't have a pic. of just me. I suppose I could have chopped him out, but that seemed rude. I'm in Washington State. 44, 4 teenagers..........I like to say I'm in the alcohol stage of my life!
    I have always had a great self esteem, known I was chubby, but loved me anyway.......until I went to buy some new clothes. What a slap in the face. size 20? yikes.
    So I decided to give it a shot yet again. I've bought all the books and wear the tshirt, Jenny / Weight watchers ( barely got my bookmark ) Nutrisytem, you name it.
    However this looks like fun. I joined a gym, and have a guy advising me on workouts. I'll be happy to share what I'm learning and you'll save the money!
    I'm 245 and want to knock off 60.
    I'm only at day 2, but I've never seen or used a site like this.
    So here we go.

This is my first blog.........ever! How many calories burned equal one pound of fat loss? Not sure if that is a correct question I just found my BMR 1800 and I'm consuming 1650 and burning 300. ( in general in a day ). So I was wondering is there a number that if you burn X amount of calories to lose 1 lb. of fat?
  • kayla_larsen
    kayla_larsen Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I've read that approx. 3500 calories is equal to 1 pound...
  • babsybaby
    Options
    Thanks for the info. Gee you are a cutey, how much are you trying to or have already lost?
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Options
    welcome babsybaby,

Iamm is correct, 3500 calories is about 1 lb.

Be careful about how many calories you burn in a day, if you
    get too low (somewhere around 1200 calories) with your
    consumed calories, your body will go into starvation mode,
    and start hoarding fat! You don't want to do that.
    The slow burn wins with weight loss!
  • aslavich
    aslavich Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Welcome babsybaby!!!
  • katiechakos
    katiechakos Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Welcome Babsy! I love that you wrote you are in the "alcohol stage"! LOL! You'll love it here. We all have different numbers in mind for a goal, but the overall focus on this site seems to be on being healthy and changing our past habits. I hope you stay with us. It's really fun! This is my first time ever being a part of an online support/friendship group, too. Welcome!!! By the way... I moved to Orlando about a year ago from Oregon! I miss the Northwest...
  • cardgrl
    cardgrl Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Welcome, Babsy! You will learn much here! It is a great place to socialize, vent, ask questions, and keep track of it all....while having fun at the same time. You are in the right place! Thanks for sharing!
  • neverbeenskinny
    neverbeenskinny Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Hi Babsybab, Weldome to this wonderful site. I'm from Washington myself. SW Washington. I have found great support from these wonderful people here and hope will feel the same way. :flowerforyou:
  • kayla_larsen
    Options
    Thanks for the info. Gee you are a cutey, how much are you trying to or have already lost?

Thanks, my original goal when I started in August was 32 pounds and I've alread lost 16, so I'm about halfway to my goal! =] What about you?
  • babsybaby
    Options
    I'm 245 and 5'7. and would be downright gorgeous at 180. So I'm only at day 4, but so far so good.
    16 lbs, that is great! That has to keep you motivated, I'm sure you can already feel a big difference.
    Good for you.
    b
  • kayla_larsen
    Options
    Yeah, I can tell a HUGE difference and it's wonderful. I'm trying to get back down to the weight I was when I graduated from high school a few years ago. I gained 30-35 pounds in the two and a half years I've been in college. I'm trying to nip it in the bud now while I still can! :smile: Good luck with your diet and keep us posted on how you're doing!
  • cltimes2
    Options
    Welcome! Where in WA? Good luck on your journey!
  • babsybaby
    Options
    I'm in Bothell
  • Eve23
    Eve23 Posts: 2,352 Member
    Options
    Welcome Babsy! I love that you wrote you are in the "alcohol stage"! LOL! You'll love it here. We all have different numbers in mind for a goal, but the overall focus on this site seems to be on being healthy and changing our past habits. I hope you stay with us. It's really fun! This is my first time ever being a part of an online support/friendship group, too. Welcome!!! By the way... I moved to Orlando about a year ago from Oregon! I miss the Northwest...

Where in Oregon were you from Katie?

I am near Roseburg but grew up in Medford.
  • baday
    baday Posts: 35
    Options
    Medford, Oregon huh! I grew up in the other "famous" Medford....Medford, NJ
    :bigsmile:
  • meghan0813
    Options
    Hello and Good Luck on your journey. Take your time, slow is better than fast. You've been eating one way for so long its going to take time to retrain yourself on how to eat properly. Don't get discouraged easily, just hang in there and it'll be worth it in the end.:smile:
  • katiechakos
    katiechakos Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    [[/quote]

Where in Oregon were you from Katie?

I am near Roseburg but grew up in Medford.
    [/quote]

I lived in Portland for 10 years. It is my all time favorite city. My husband works for a big video game company, though, and moved to Orlando for his job, so when we got engaged I came here, too. It's not too bad, but I sure do miss Oregon! I love the Roseburg area... the whole stretch of i 5 is beautiful.