Trying to figure effects fo going over calorie

Options
I found this little experiment with the MFP goals settings very helpful to me to get an idea of the effects of going over (or under) calorie. I went into my goals, which I have set for "lose 1.5 lbs. per week," and changed it to .5 lb and 1 lb. to see what daily calorie amount it would give me. (pick some values around what you have your goal set at). I found that, for me, if I am about 200 calories over, I am in the range of losing only 1 lb. per week. It made me feel not so bad about the couple "bad" days this week, because even though I was over calorie, I realize I was still in the calorie range of projected weight loss, not a gain.
:heart:

Replies

• Alison_84
    Options
    Cool I'm going to go try that! Although I already have mine set at 1 pound... :)
  • Alison_84
    Options
    Woo hoo! I can eat an extra 250 cals a day and still lose 1/2 pound a week! Haha
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    I like knowing what my maintenance number is. Then if I have a totally craptacular day, as long as I'm under that number, I know I won't gain. But then there was the day that I ate like 700 cals over maintenance... that was a bad day. :sad: But it was the only one in a long time, and I haven't done it again since. Don't plan to either!
  • angel2296
    angel2296 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting this!! It does give perspective! I have been trying so hard to stay under the calorie goals because I don't want to gain! It make sense though that there is a "window" for weight loss! Thanks for the reminder!!
  • sandram82
    sandram82 Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    I figure if you go over your calories as long as its healthy calories than I wont beat myself up.. however if I start snacking on chios and chocolate than I am in trouble!! LOL ... havent splurged on that yet.. but have had some chocolate in moderation and within calorie goal!
  • lynnseyt
    Options
    Your picture reminds me of myself, as do your goals! I wish you all the best! I just started this on Tues., so this is my first post. It is really awesome and encouraging to see others on the same journey!
  • lynnseyt
    Options
    Oops! That post was to angel 2296...see, you can tell i'm new. lol