How much water???

Options
I attended a program on health and weight loss today and the speaker, a nutritionist, said that to stay healthy we need to keep our bodies well hydrated. The body uses the oxygen in water to help it burn fat stores. He said to drink 1/2 your body weight, converting pounds to ounces.

So, if you weigh 200 pounds, you should drink 100 ounces of water each 24-hour period. I'm pretty close. I weigh 170, and manage to drink 78 ounces. I'll need to find a way to swallow another 7 ounces I guess. It shouldn't be too hard. In the beginning I didn't think I could drink 8 glasses (64 ounces).

I've found a couple of ways to make drinking that much water palatable. I use a 28 ounce water bottle. I micro 2 ounces of water with two green tea bags. Once steeped, I pour it in my bottle along with a teaspoon of natural honey, or just enough Stevia to sweeten. Goes down easily. I also put two tablespoons of raw (unfiltered) Braggs Apple Cider Vinegar in my bottle with enough Stevia to make it palatable and then fill with filtered water. My third trick is to use a low-calorie drink mix, or Joint Juice fitness water powder in the bottle (in the little straws). And last but not least, I pour 6 ounces of pulp free orange juice in my bottle and then fill with water.

Note, please that I'm refilling the same bottle each time - no pile of plastic water bottles in my recycling bin.

Replies

• BigBoneSista
    BigBoneSista Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    I just started drinking 128 oz. I purchased a rubbermaid bottle from Wal-mart that is 64 oz. I'm so happy I found it because I have two steel 25 oz water bottles and I just couldn't get in 64 oz a day drinking from those. I'm almost finished with my 2nd 64 oz bottle.
  • Belle_Fille
    Options
    i have a hard enough time drinking 64oz/day! idk how i'm supposed to get in 127oz!
  • Skolls081102
    Options
    Read an article about water consumption (can't find it now...sorry). Basically what it said was, yes, the closer you get to 8 bottles of water a day the better. However, you don't need to drink 8 glasses of water. It explained how even a cup of coffee will give you part of your 8 cups of water (yes, caffiene is a diaretic but you will retain more water from the cup of coffee than lose in waste). Also, fruits and vegetables all contain water (Ihave no idea how you figure out the water content- but it all goes to your 8 cups).
    So for example, I use water in my proetien shake in the morning- so this morning there was 16 oz. water in my shake. Add in my 16 oz. cup of coffee- I've consumed say 3 1/2 cups (1/2 cup waste from the diaretic effect of coffee).
    Thats just an example, hope it helps.
  • nsueflorence
    nsueflorence Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I also just picked up two 64oz water bottles. I fill them up using my water filter and put them in the fridge. That way I aways have some cold water at had. I have been drinking almost 3 of them a day. Its a easy way of keeping track and the handy handy makes it easy to carry to and from work.
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    half my weight would be less than I drink now. It is a great idea to drink that much water - it has really helped me!!