How do I think of fast food/unhealthy food in a way to make

Options
Hi there!

This is my first day on myfitnesspal and I've realised that the department of fast food/chocolate/etc is the first habit I really need to tackle. I was talking with one of my friends and she said she trained her mind so that whenever she imagined say a burger and fries, she imagined them with fat globules running down the food and therefore was disgusted and not at all tempted.
For a while there I tried to use an inspirational photo of a thinner me in my wallet, therefore when I reached for my credit card to buy unhealthy food I'd think twice. It didn't work in the end cause I used my card so much it was never in my wallet.

So I'd like to know how you all manage to resist the temptation of buying unhealthy food!

Replies

• ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    Personally, it helps me just to think of it in terms of calories. I have only so many calories in a day. I think of them kind of like money: I wake up in the morning with 1250 calories to "spend" for the day. A burger "costs" a lot of calories, so for the "price" of one burger, I could have a tuna salad sandwich and an apple with room in my calorie budget to spare.

It might not work for you, but that's what makes it easier for me to avoid it when the temptation is really hitting me.
  • chuckanderson
    Options
    I don't go to the grocery store hungry, I already know what I'm buying and I only buy things that I would not feel guilty about eating. Don't kid yourself if you buy cookie dough and act like you're not going to eat it except 'special occasions'.

And I just don't eat out.
  • BigBoneSista
    BigBoneSista Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    I do exactly what your friend does. I think of the nasty fat oozing from it. And now after last night watching my kids go through what they went through. I know I'm definitely not ever going back. Not even for an allowance.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/172789-my-kids-fast-food-is-done

I was a 1st hand witness to fast food sending my kids to the hospital. My son is still upstairs recovering from being dehydrated. My daughter is doing fine.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    Watching Super Size Me worked for me. Knowing just how unhealthy that type of food is and what it will do to your body always makes me think twice.
  • miss_emma_joey
    Options
    I just say to myself "Nope, I don't eat like that." If I absolutely cannot resist something, I think I'll save it for my cheat day. On that day I work out as normal, but I can have one bad meal. Don't over eat! But you can treat yourself to a burger or a slice of pizza once a week or so. I think occasional cheat days were what kept me sane and made my dieting so successful!
  • gibbsgirl
    gibbsgirl Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Supersize Me is a great inspiration never to eat fast food!
  • Altiv
    Altiv Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I now always think of eating more =) I mean, I can get a burger, one burger with whatever you want on, or eat a lot of peanuts (which I absolutely adore) and a cereal bar latter on or even tuna for the same amount of calories

When I started I did something similar as your friend did, wherever I imagined a burger/pizza/whatever I though of tons of grease dribbling at the grill, enough to make me sick, so I trained my brain to feel disgusted when I though or saw fast food.
  • rainonurparade3
    Options
    Thanks guys - and keep them coming!

Also please add me - I'm new to this so it'd be great to meet some people who can encourage me on my journey :)
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,239 Member
    Options
    I personally have no issue with fast food. That is, I don't mind eating it, and do not start eating like crazy if I do. If you can't control it like that, I am that way with chocolate--if I have some it takes every bit of energy I have not to eat all the chocolate in the house and then go to the store for more, keep it out of the house and avoid it completely except for days where you choose to eat some in a setting where you can not easily get more. Then start back with your diet right away. As mentioned, record the calories in your MFP food diary and try to eat within your calorie budget with those foods. You will quickly start to prefer eating other less calorie dense and fiber rich food. Not to mention if you track sodium, you will quickly see how even one meal at a fast food place (or any restaurant for that matter) is usually very high in sodium. All that will eventually start to curb your appetite for fast food.

Oh, and in terms of fat globules, my first response was, "MMMMMmmmm fat globules."
  • JulieBoBoo
    Options
    Look up the sodium content of the food. Then measure out how much salt is in a burger, an order of fries, etc. Measure out how much sugar is in a can of pop or a milkshake.
  • eteezie
    eteezie Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Watching Super Size Me worked for me. Knowing just how unhealthy that type of food is and what it will do to your body always makes me think twice.

YES INDEED! That documentary changed me forever. I think it should be required "watching" in schools! Nutritionists say that he ate more McDonald's in that 30-day period than a person should have in 8 YEARS! It was amazing.
  • loric23
    Options
    I've just started, and I know that you shouldn't go to the grocery store hungry and that if you drink water before you eat you will feel full faster. My problem is having the chips in the house because the rest of the family eat them and not having the willpower to say NO! I love the one comment that said she treats it like money. Where do you spend your best calorie selection! I'm hoping this will work for me.
  • loric23
    Options
    I've just started, and I know that you shouldn't go to the grocery store hungry and that if you drink water before you eat you will feel full faster. My problem is having the chips in the house because the rest of the family eat them and not having the willpower to say NO! I love the one comment that said she treats it like money. Where do you spend your best calorie selection! I'm hoping this will work for me.
  • RussianLynx
    Options
    I would recommend reading the book Fast Food Nation or watching Food, Inc. (a documentary about the food industry) which is available as a "watch instantly" option on NetFlix or hopefully, at your local library.

Either of those will change the way you look at fast food forever. I used to love chicken nuggets, but after seeing how they're made, I would rather eat nuclear waste than put that crap in my body.

The more you know about fast food, the less appealing it will be. Trust me.
  • 2hdesign
    2hdesign Posts: 153
    Options
    Start recording every single little bite that goes into your mouth. The first week or so I was on here, I was logging 2500 to 3000 kcal a day. Hmmm... i wonder what my problem was? LOL! So I started experimenting to figure out what I could eat a decent volume of and be satisified and make it on 1600 kcal a day. Trail and error. And while I'm not perfect, I know have a better grasp on how much something is going to cost me kcal wise. It's only been about 1.5 months into the journey and I've still got plenty to learn, but the progress is definitely paying off. Keep at it!
  • JenBrown0210
    JenBrown0210 Posts: 985 Member
    Options
    If I really want something fast food I make it myself. I want a hamburger, I make a turkey burger and wheat or a flatbread. I want french fries I make steak fries or ill have some vegie straws. Just try to find a healthy alternative to what you want. Plus since I have stopped having fast food. No more breakouts and my face is not as greasy! No more shine. That crap was liiterally oozing out of my skin. YUCK!!
  • rainonurparade3
    Options
    Thanks everyone!

I also went down to the video store and rented Fast Food Nation and Supersize Me :)