sugar and salt

Options
I just added sugar and salt to my diary and I am going over most days. I thought I was eating fairly healthy...any suggestions on how to cut them back?::frown:

Replies

• 6Janelle13
    6Janelle13 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    any reason you are tracking sugar? are you diabetic? If not you know when you eat non natural sugar and this site doesn't distinguish between that, as a result you will always be over.
    As for salt you are eating a lot of processed foods and restaurants are famous for a heavy hand with sodium. when i cook at home i don't add salt to anything. when i eat out i accept that i will kill my sodium.
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Yeah, easiest ways to cut back on either of them is avoid any and all prepared foods. Sugar and salt are nifty little fillers that are cheap so they're in just about everything processed.
    Depending on where your sugar is coming from ie fruits don't stress too much on it.
    For salt, I've started checking my recipes. There's already tons of sodium in my baking soda so if there's baking powder or soda in a recipe I omit the salt. Cuts back that little bit more.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    Make sure you aren't eating any processed foods. That will drastically cut down on your sodium. And make sure your sugar is coming from natural sources like fruit and milk. If you go over on sugar and it's natural, don't worry about it. You only need to worry about refined sugar that is added to foods.
  • alienblonde1
    alienblonde1 Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    When you eat out tell them to not add salt to your food. I forgot last time and ordered fries and they were so salty I couldn't eat them. I asked for a fresh order with no salt and they were fine, I didn't even have to salt them.