Need help with protein powder

Options
The only "powder" type I have used is Slim-Fast a year or two ago...so I'm not familiar with protein powder...I keep seeing lots of recipes and things made with protein powder, when I think of this, I think of a guy trying to bulk up, DEF not something I am trying to do. Is there a certain kind of powder that is made for just using as a replacement in shakes, smoothies etc. or are they all the same? I despise breakfast so a smoothie in the morning would be perfect for me plus the idea of protein is great, I'm just not too familiar with this product. Thanks!!

Replies

• jlewis121186
    Options
    no, you need protein to rebuild muscles you tear down while working out...so, using a protein powder isnt going to bulk you up if you arent body building like that. i eat protein bars in the hour after i workout every day, and i never bulk up because i dont do the exercises that will bulk me up. use a powder in your smoothies, it will help you out
  • RussianLynx
    Options
    Protein powder in general is a great way to add protein and if mixed with milk (soy or cow's) to up your calcium intake. I use Whey Protein powder, which containes the highest concentration of BCAA (branch chain amino acids) of any food source. It's great for building muscle (it will not make you look like He-Man) and for getting lean protein into your diet. I have a smoothie for breakfast every morning because I don't like eating a ton of food so early. I make it and drink it on my commute.

I use "Show Me the Whey" natural vanilla flavored whey protein powder. It's sweetened with Stevia instead of sugar or nasty artificial crap, so it allows you to get protein without consuming a ridiculous amount of carbs. Show Me the Whey is a whey isolate powder and can be found in the health foods section of Kroger as a generic. I live in the midwest and if you don't have Kroger or a local health food co-op (which is where I buy mine), I'm not sure where to find it.

Mix 1 scoop of protein powder with 1 cup Silk Unsweetened Organic soy milk. Blend for a few seconds until powder is mixed thoroughly. It will froth up a little, which gives your smoothie the fluffy texture of a milkshake.

You could use cow's milk, but I don't like the taste of cow's milk. Even if you make this smoothie/shake with soy milk, it's absolutely delicious, trust me! I've made this for friends and they just thought it was a milkshake!

Next, add frozen fruit of your choice. You could blend ice into the powder/soy milk mixture and then add fresh fruit. I use frozen fruit because it doesn't spoil and it means I don't have to deal with the hassle of chopping ice in my blender.

I like to use about a third of a cup of mixed berries (blueberry, blackberry and red raspberry) and half a cup of strawberries. If you use whole frozen strawberries (which I do) put one in the smoothie and blend it thoroughly before adding the next one. If you have some sort of mega awesome blender, you could probably just add all the frozen fruit at once. I have a tiny, cheap blender so I do my strawberries one at a time.

One scoop of Show Me the Whey, One cup of Silk unsweetened Organic Soy Milk, and 0.3 cups mixed berries and .5 cups strawberries adds up to the following:

Calories: 213
    Total Carbs: 13
    Fat: 5
    Protein: 26
    Fiber: 4
    Calcium: 39%

If I had a larger blender, I would probably add more fruit, but my blender holds a maximum of 16oz. I also sometimes add a packet of Stevia for extra sweetness, but that's a personal preference thing.

It took me a while to find a way to add Whey Protein to my diet and not have it taste chalky and nasty or require A LOT of sugar to disguise the taste. I wanted to share in case someone else had the same problem.

I am lactose intolerant, so Whey Protein Isolate is easier on my stomach. This is also (in addition to not liking the taste of cow's milk) that I use soy milk in my smoothies.

I have entered this shake as a meal "Whey Shake -- mixed berries and Strawberries" if you'd like to check the nutritional facts yourself.

I've spent the past few months easing processed sugar out of my diet. I drink one of these shakes before/after working out (especially on days I lift) and sometimes at the end of the day when I'm craving sweets.
  • BrendaleeHarrisHills
    Options
    I've used protein powder often in the past. Just started to use "Herbalogica" Nutritional Shake - Strawberry Flavor. Got it from my chiropractor, Dr. Ray in Penn Hills. It does taste great and I mix it with soy milk. I will grab anything for breakfast so this saves me from myself. I use my Bullet to mix and just take it with me in the morning. Good luck!
  • brity77
    Options
    Bump! I have the same questions: )
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    I drink a protein shake every day. Usually after I workout but sometimes for breakfast. I am not getting bulky by any means and I like that I have increased my protein intake in a low calorie way.

I have a strawberry banana one that I get from GNC and it only has 115 cal 24 protein 2 carb 1 fat for a scoop and it mixes with water. I use this one when I want to keep my calories low or when I need/want 2 shakes that day.

I have another unflavored one I bought from superstore and it has 120 cal 25 protein 2 carb and 1 fat for a scoop but has to mixed with milk, juice etc. I like to add frozen mango or berries and sometimes yogurt for a super filling smoothie but this one is usually between 200-350 calories depending on what I all add to it.......so I prefer to use this one when I've done a super workout or as a meal replacement.

Both taste really good.
  • tatdantri
    Options
    Hi, if you need meal replacement, Try Tony Ferguson, from Terry White pharmacies. Tastes good and it works. Good luck.
  • marinamoreno
    Options
    Wow thank you all so much! The information was SO informative, I feel so much better about trying a protein powder!

I will def be trying your recipe, RussianLynx....We don't have a Kroger's but I will look around for it. I'm lactose intolerant as well so it sounds perfect for me! Thank you all again! :)
  • lilwashee
    lilwashee Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    you can drink those pedisures for breakfast!