I've heard of plateau's...

Options
but this is ridiculous. I started in January and lost 19 lbs. For the past six weeks I have not lost or gained a single lb. :sad: What am I doing wrong? Ok so I am down to my last 10 lbs which I know is the hardest to lose. I have been on 1200 cals. plus my exercise cals. while losing my weight. I thought as you get closer to goal, your cals. go down. I can't go down any further because you're not supposed to go below 1200. I am only 5 ft. tall and I sit at a desk all day, although I do exercise between 30 and 90 minutes most days. Do you think this is where my body just wants to stay. :cry: In my younger days I use to weigh between 110 & 115. I am not even trying to get that low. I was aiming for 120, but at this point I would be happy with 125. I feel like I am on maintenance because it is not going up or down. I am currently 129. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Replies

• wtchywmn
    wtchywmn Posts: 193
    Options
    but this is ridiculous. I started in January and lost 19 lbs. For the past six weeks I have not lost or gained a single lb. :sad: What am I doing wrong? Ok so I am down to my last 10 lbs which I know is the hardest to lose. I have been on 1200 cals. plus my exercise cals. while losing my weight. I thought as you get closer to goal, your cals. go down. I can't go down any further because you're not supposed to go below 1200. I am only 5 ft. tall and I sit at a desk all day, although I do exercise between 30 and 90 minutes most days. Do you think this is where my body just wants to stay. :cry: In my younger days I use to weigh between 110 & 115. I am not even trying to get that low. I was aiming for 120, but at this point I would be happy with 125. I feel like I am on maintenance because it is not going up or down. I am currently 129. Does anyone have any suggestions?
  • tuna33
    tuna33 Posts: 12
    Options
    possibly try changing up your workout routine... I know when lifting weights i would plateu doing certain exercizes, then i went to a different exercize that works the same muscle part and when I went back to the original exercise I was able to do more...

example...Max bench at 225....work out doing dumbell press for a few weeks....go back to bench press and did 225+

I'm not sure if this would be the same with losing weight but it worked for me when building muscle, maybe check out some other forums too like on bodybuilding.com... good luck!
  • sindyb9
    sindyb9 Posts: 1,248 Member
    Options
    I just got off of one for about 6 weeks, hang in there. I looked at what I was logging for my exercise and realized I was over estimating my speed when I walk I adjusted that and wa la 5 pounds lost. I also made sure I was drinking enough water. Change up you eating a little or go over your calories a little once or twice this week. Good Luck I know how hard it is but you can do it. :bigsmile: :drinker:

Also try taking your measurements. I lost inches during that time. It also made me feel a little better.
  • gabi_ele
    gabi_ele Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    maybe you're not eating enough? For instance if you eat a lot of vegetables that take more calories to digest then are in them ( like celery) then you could be undereating and that could keep you from loosing. The other thing is are you underestimating your exercise calories? If you exersize 30 to 90 minutes a day you can burn a lot of calories depending on what you do.And even if you are just sitting at a desk you are still burning a little. If I was you I would get me a HRM if you can afford it (maybe a little present to yourself for working so hard already) or log everything you do for a day , walking in the grocery store ,going up and down stairs in your home, washing dishes and taking showers.
    I did my exercises yesterday, then I helped hubby with yardwork, went to the store and walked there for half an hour and I had over 3000 calories to burn.( I couldn't eat them all but that's ok I have ton's more to loose) I mean what do you have to loose by upping your calories for a little while? Maybe you will get off your plateu if not at least your not hungry? I hope this helps . I wish you success:drinker:
  • PrincessLaundry
    PrincessLaundry Posts: 2,758 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry for your plateau! Work through it and keep up the great work! YOU CAN DO IT!
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    Another possibility if your body refuses to budge, is to work on lowering your body fat % instead of focusing on weight. Usually those last 10 pounds are a massive struggle, and it may work better to approach it from that angle then to go for the uphill battle.
  • age1389
    age1389 Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    Maybe try upping your calories for a week. That can shock your metabolism and you might see a loss.

-Adrienne:heart:
  • mholmes
    mholmes Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    Maybe try upping your calories for a week. That can shock your metabolism and you might see a loss.

-Adrienne:heart:

Absolutely! Your body gets in ruts and routine's just like we all do. Trick it, then shock it back into place! But don't trick it by eating less cause you'll risk your body going into starvation mode... Just raise it a lil then back down to 1200.
  • wtchywmn
    wtchywmn Posts: 193
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I will try you're suggestions and let you know if it worked. Have a great day everyone:flowerforyou: