What would you do?

Options
porcelain_doll
porcelain_doll Posts: 1,005 Member
Let's say you're in the following situation with your job:

You have a degree in graphic design. You're relatively good at it. Your boss said so when he hired you. You understood upon being hired that the job would not be glamorous at first, but after some time there would be more opportunities. A few years pass, and you are still doing menial tasks. You ask your boss about the opportunities and agreements are made that you can do these other things now. However, the menial tasks continue to be given to you, leaving little to no time for these bigger and better things to be worked on. Over the next few years, a few meetings are had between yourself, your supervisor, and your boss about this very same thing. During each meeting, promises are made but the menial tasks continue to be placed on your desk.

Six years of your life have now gone by. You feel depressed. You are angry and resentful inside. Your experience as a graphic designer has now suffered because of the work you have/have not been doing this whole time. You wonder if another employer will even want you after looking at your resume. Do you stay at the company and keep holding out hope that your superiors are going to keep their promises, or do you focus your energy on finding a new job?

Things to consider:
1) Your job is secure. If you stay, you will likely never be laid off.
2) You live in an area where the economy has taken a huge beating (MI).

Thanks for your advice. :smile:

Replies

• Holton
    Holton Posts: 1,018
    Options
    Sounds like a bad marriage to me. You cannot change the other "person", you can only change you and how you react. Six years of promises and no results means 6 more years of the same. I certainly would not leave my job without another job secured given the economy and the fact that you know you have a decent job, just not what you signed up for and below your qualifications. Personally, I would continue to do a great job where I am, while I create a new resume and start a job search; but with that you have to be willing to accept that what you move into may not be the icing on the cake either. Pray about it and take your time.
  • rebecca_goss0
    Options
    “The best way to appreciate your job is to imagine yourself without one.”...Oscar Wilde

Don't be afraid to give your best to what seemingly are small jobs. Every time you conquer one it makes you that much stronger. If you do the little jobs well, the big ones will tend to take care of themselves. Try to find some joy in the small stuff let go of the hurt and anger and your job won't be so bad. :smile:
  • stella77
    stella77 Posts: 282
    Options
    I never quit the job unless I have a new one! That is my number one rule.
    Now, other things to consider - what are the menial tasks and how good are you at them?

As a middle manager - I admitt relying on people who do these jobs really well, because you need them and it is hard to find someone really good and responsible which probably prevents those people from moving up.
    (I don't stall it myself, but I kind of hope they stick around)

So, I would try and not be so good at the menial tasks! (esp if the job is secure). I would take a project and let the menial tasks slide and if asked about it say that you needed time to concentrate on ... (whatever). I would try and make sure that they don't rely on me as much with menial tasks. I would just not do them too well, forget some, do some (don't drop it all at once)

Are there any new people around? can you pass on some of your menial tasks to others.

There is a lot of things to consider but I would probablu ry and make it work at my old job but I would certanly be looking outside as well.
  • mrmarius
    mrmarius Posts: 1,802 Member
    Options
    I agree continue to improve be the best at even the menial jobs while keeping an eye out for a new better one. This happened to me a few years back then I read in the bible "do all things as unto the Lord" it changed my attitude so I went to my manager and told him I would take some load off his shoulders and started learning new tasks here and there. A few months later I was promoted to supervisor...so dont be bitter or discouraged do your best either you will get promoted or find a better job
  • Carl01
    Carl01 Posts: 9,370 Member
    Options
    Are there other jobs nearby that possibly would be more to your liking and if so can you casually and silently send out feelers to see if they would be interested?
  • porcelain_doll
    Options
    Now, other things to consider - what are the menial tasks and how good are you at them?

Menial tasks = data entry. Adding products to our website. A high school intern could do it blindfolded. I get to make basic graphics about 5% of the time, and they are usually repetitive in nature (promotions for the same exact thing).

Our department is very small. There are four of us, and one of them in my supervisor. Another guy works solely on the electronics portion of our website (I work for a company that sells appliances and electronics online), so it is just myself and another girl that was hired a couple years ago that do the menial tasks. So even with her around, there still seems to be plenty of grunt work for me to do...
    So, I would try and not be so good at the menial tasks! (esp if the job is secure). I would take a project and let the menial tasks slide and if asked about it say that you needed time to concentrate on ... (whatever). I would try and make sure that they don't rely on me as much with menial tasks. I would just not do them too well, forget some, do some (don't drop it all at once)

I actually did this a couple years ago and got into trouble for it. When I said I was doing the other things, I was told that the menial tasks were priority and I needed to stay focused on those.

I would never leave without having another job lined up, I agree 100% with that. I appreciate everybody's answers. Lots of good advice here. Thank you!
  • timetripper42
    Options
    I agree with Holton Its easier to find a better job when you have a job. You deserve the challenge and happiness or fullfillment of a job thats right up your alley. Continue to do a good job and look around an opportunity will prsent itself. I am going thru something at work myself I have made a plan for the next year and if things dont imove at work I will be in buisness for myself or off to another job. The things is I have made a plan with three different outcomes and will make a informed decision when the time is right. As always I am rooting for you. Johnny
  • Vicky14174
    Vicky14174 Posts: 715 Member
    Options
    Don't quit the job you have but put your resume out there. See what happens.
  • porcelain_doll
    Options
    Are there other jobs nearby that possibly would be more to your liking and if so can you casually and silently send out feelers to see if they would be interested?

There have been a few that I have come across, but the issue right now is that because of what I have been doing at my job this whole time, I don't really have the experience or skill set that they are looking for. So I have been trying to hone up my abilities on the side. I am taking an online course right now in some advanced software (Flash) and am going to start learning a few other things when I am done with that.
  • PanicAtTheBuffet
    Options
    Six years of your life have now gone by. You feel depressed. You are angry and resentful inside.

Like Holton said "It's like a bad marriage." The job pays the bills and meets my lowered expectations, but really sucks the life out of me. I always thought graphic design was all about expression and letting your creative talents fly. Can you thrive in this environment and feel some kind of self-satisfaction?

I think you know what you want to do. Life sure can be some tough decisions.

Wish you the best.
  • sophiajackson99
    Options
    Sounds like a bad marriage to me.

Hahaha... so true!! Reading your post reminded me of a chapter in Geneen Roth's book, Women Food and God. In chapter 4, "Its not about the weight, but it's not not about the weight." a woman writes in to ask Geneen about a very similar situation. She is "going places" in her career, but is stuck for a while in a menial job that makes her depressed, so she takes it out on the fridge when she gets home each night. The chapter is worth a read if you get the chance.

Good luck in finding your ideal job! You deserve good things! :)
  • Mrs_McFadden
    Options
    I agree with everyone here. I think you should bide your time. You sound like you feel very underutilized and underemployed- it's a fairly common situation in the job market these days :\. Just keep you chin up and look for any opportunity to move elsewhere! I understand that other people say you should do everything you can to move up on the position you are in- but it seems to me that your superiors have reaped the rewards of your loyalty for a very long time w/out much in the way of honoring their original deal with you. It's easy to be bitter in that situation- but try not to bother with that- bitterness about that kind of thing only destroys you.
  • Ben2118
    Ben2118 Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    I would stay in the job for now and continue on the course you are doing, but on the side I would look for some "freelance" work and start building a personal portfolio up of your work (not sure if you have one already?).

In the current climate a secure job is some what of a rare thing (in the UK anyway) which doesn't help as it adds to the pressure of staying in a job you don't really like.

It is always easier to find a job when you are already in one so I would work on designing and presenting your work to show potential new employers what you can really do.

On a plus note, you are in a job which is safe and earning a living, so if you start looking for a new job there is no pressure to take the first one that comes along, you can take your pick and look for that job you deserve.

Good Luck,

Ben.