Hungry? Wait!

Options
msarro
msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
Just something I remembered reading and I keep having to remind myself - remember, when you feel hungry you actually started feeling hungry or thirsty about 15 minutes prior. And yes, I said thirsty, because your body cannot tell the difference between hunger and thirst. It will make you feel the same way.

So, if you've finished off all of your meals for the day and you feel hunger pangs, drink some water and wait for about 15-20 minutes. If you still feel hungry, go ahead and grab a snack.

The reason you want to wait is it takes about 15 minutes for the chemical signals your belly releases when its satisfied to reach your brain. Plus a lot of the time when you feel hungry you're actually thirsty. So, drinking and waiting can keep you from eating food when you're not really hungry. If you ate instead and you were actually thirsty, you may still feel hungry, and you've thrown a bunch of unneccessary calories into your belly. The waiting is important because, well, if are like me, you can pack away a lot of food in 15 minutes :laugh: .

Thats also why a lot of weight loss programs tell you to stop eating immediately when you start to feel even remotely full.

Replies

• msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    Just something I remembered reading and I keep having to remind myself - remember, when you feel hungry you actually started feeling hungry or thirsty about 15 minutes prior. And yes, I said thirsty, because your body cannot tell the difference between hunger and thirst. It will make you feel the same way.

So, if you've finished off all of your meals for the day and you feel hunger pangs, drink some water and wait for about 15-20 minutes. If you still feel hungry, go ahead and grab a snack.

The reason you want to wait is it takes about 15 minutes for the chemical signals your belly releases when its satisfied to reach your brain. Plus a lot of the time when you feel hungry you're actually thirsty. So, drinking and waiting can keep you from eating food when you're not really hungry. If you ate instead and you were actually thirsty, you may still feel hungry, and you've thrown a bunch of unneccessary calories into your belly. The waiting is important because, well, if are like me, you can pack away a lot of food in 15 minutes :laugh: .

Thats also why a lot of weight loss programs tell you to stop eating immediately when you start to feel even remotely full.
  • laurenk182004
    laurenk182004 Posts: 1,882 Member
    Options
    so true! I always have a big glass of water b4 every meal, helps me keep the chowing to a minimum. Good post! :flowerforyou:
    Lauren
  • magichatter06
    magichatter06 Posts: 3,593 Member
    Options
    I have heard something like that before, you feel like you are hungry but it may be that you just need to drink something.

Good stuff! :happy:
  • Nikki79
    Nikki79 Posts: 3
    Options
    Thanks for the info! I've never heard of that but I am always forgetting to drink my "8" until the end of the day so I figured it was always hunger pangs.

If only people told you these things at birth, it would make life so much easier!:wink:
  • casey34472
    casey34472 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    WOW! Thanks for telling me that.