Where do you buy your chia seeds?

Options
I have looked at my local Wal-Mart and do not see them there. I also looked at an Amish store and couldn't find them there either. I don't have any other choices in my local area. So, am wondering where is the place to buy them online? I saw many places online, but would like to know if anyone already buys from a certain place that is good.
Thanks!

Replies

• Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    I get mine from Amazon.
  • PanicAtTheBuffet
    Options
    I could not find them locally either.

nutsonline.com
  • Enigmatica
    Enigmatica Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    I get mine from Whole Foods bulk section.
  • forestdancers
    forestdancers Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Unless you live in a really small town you might want to ask at your local health food store. Even if they don't have them most places will order them in. And it should save you shipping costs.
  • danniwhit
    danniwhit Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I get mine from NutsOnline.com, where I also buy my matcha green tea, and some other yummy things. I like that site a lot!
  • Caper88
    Caper88 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    What is the point of them?
  • PanicAtTheBuffet
    Options
    What is the point of them?

This is from the nutsonline website.

7 Good Reasons to Start Eating Chia Seeds

1. Help weight loss. Chia seeds are popular for weight loss. They reduce food cravings by preventing some of the food that you eat from getting absorbed into your system. This blockage of calorie absorption makes them a great diet helper.
    2. Feel fuller faster: They can also help your diet by making you feel full. This is because they absorb 10 times their weight in water, forming a bulky gel.
    3. Hydration for athletes: They are also great for athletes because the "chia gel" can hydrate the body.
    4. Reduce your blood pressure: There's evidence to suggest they can reduce blood pressure.
    5. Omega-3: They are the richest plant source of Omega-3 (the vital fats that protect against inflammation—such as arthritis—and heart disease). In fact, they contain more Omega-3 than salmon!
    6. Benefits for diabetes: Because chia seeds slow down how fast our bodies convert carbohydrates into simple sugars, studies indicate they can control blood sugar. This leads scientists to believe chia seeds may have great benefits for diabetics.
    7. They are easier to digest than flax seeds, and don't need to be ground up.
  • seckler
    seckler Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Thanks!
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,239 Member
    Options
    bulkfoods.com
  • piccolarj
    piccolarj Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    Vitacost.com
  • Flacachica
    Flacachica Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Are these the same seeds you spread on a Chia pet? Cha-cha-cha-Chia! LOL
  • hlh01002
    Options
    If you do a quick "pubmed" search you'll find that chia seeds are just the next big diet fad. There is no scientific evidence that they promote weight loss. This is just one scientific journal article but there are many more like it:

Nutr Res. 2009 Jun;29(6):414-8.
    Chia seed does not promote weight loss or alter disease risk factors in overweight adults.

Nieman DC, Cayea EJ, Austin MD, Henson DA, McAnulty SR, Jin F.

Department of Health, Leisure, and Exercise Science Appalachian State University, Boone, NC 28608, USA. niemandc@appstate.edu
    Abstract

The objective of this study was to assess the effectiveness of chia seed (Salvia hispanica L) in promoting weight loss and altering disease risk factors in overweight adults. The hypothesis was that the high dietary fiber and alpha-linolenic (ALA) contents of chia seed would induce a small but significant decrease in body weight and fat and improve disease risk factors. Subjects were randomized to chia seed (CS) and placebo (P) groups, and under single-blinded procedures, ingested 25 g CS or P supplements mixed in 0.25 L water twice daily before the first and last meal for 12 weeks. Ninety nondiseased, overweight/obese men and women between the ages of 20 and 70 years were recruited into the study, with 76 subjects (n = 39 CS, n = 37 P) completing all phases of the study. Pre- and poststudy measures included body mass and composition (dual energy x-ray absorptiometry), inflammation markers from fasting blood samples (C-reactive protein, interleukin 6, monocyte chemoattractant protein 1, and tumor necrosis factor alpha), oxidative stress markers (trolox equivalent antioxidant capacity and plasma nitrite), blood pressure, and a serum lipid profile. Plasma ALA increased 24.4% compared to a 2.8% decrease in CS and P, respectively (interaction effect, P = .012). No group differences were measured for changes in plasma eicosapentaenoic acid and docosahexaenoic acid (interaction effects, P = .420 and .980, respectively). Pre-to-post measures of body composition, inflammation, oxidative stress, blood pressure, and lipoproteins did not differ between CS and P for both sexes. In conclusion, ingestion of 50 g/d CS vs P for 12 weeks by overweight/obese men and women had no influence on body mass or composition, or various disease risk factor measures.
  • Aetarac
    Aetarac Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Oh wow thanks for info gonna have to check them out. Just seen these profiled on TV health show.... never heard of them prior other then Chia pets.... made sense why they are called that now. Impressed by benefits they offer though have to say reservations after reading "This is because they absorb 10 times their weight in water, forming a bulky gel. " lol. for some reason that bulky gel part just hits me wrong.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,239 Member
    Options
    If you do a quick "pubmed" search you'll find that chia seeds are just the next big diet fad. There is no scientific evidence that they promote weight loss. This is just one scientific journal article but there are many more like it:

Nutr Res. 2009 Jun;29(6):414-8.
    Chia seed does not promote weight loss or alter disease risk factors in overweight adults.

Nieman DC, Cayea EJ, Austin MD, Henson DA, McAnulty SR, Jin F.

Department of Health, Leisure, and Exercise Science Appalachian State University, Boone, NC 28608, USA. niemandc@appstate.edu
    Abstract

The objective of this study was to assess the effectiveness of chia seed (Salvia hispanica L) in promoting weight loss and altering disease risk factors in overweight adults. The hypothesis was that the high dietary fiber and alpha-linolenic (ALA) contents of chia seed would induce a small but significant decrease in body weight and fat and improve disease risk factors. Subjects were randomized to chia seed (CS) and placebo (P) groups, and under single-blinded procedures, ingested 25 g CS or P supplements mixed in 0.25 L water twice daily before the first and last meal for 12 weeks. Ninety nondiseased, overweight/obese men and women between the ages of 20 and 70 years were recruited into the study, with 76 subjects (n = 39 CS, n = 37 P) completing all phases of the study. Pre- and poststudy measures included body mass and composition (dual energy x-ray absorptiometry), inflammation markers from fasting blood samples (C-reactive protein, interleukin 6, monocyte chemoattractant protein 1, and tumor necrosis factor alpha), oxidative stress markers (trolox equivalent antioxidant capacity and plasma nitrite), blood pressure, and a serum lipid profile. Plasma ALA increased 24.4% compared to a 2.8% decrease in CS and P, respectively (interaction effect, P = .012). No group differences were measured for changes in plasma eicosapentaenoic acid and docosahexaenoic acid (interaction effects, P = .420 and .980, respectively). Pre-to-post measures of body composition, inflammation, oxidative stress, blood pressure, and lipoproteins did not differ between CS and P for both sexes. In conclusion, ingestion of 50 g/d CS vs P for 12 weeks by overweight/obese men and women had no influence on body mass or composition, or various disease risk factor measures.

I have no idea about the weight loss claims, but to discard them because they "don't help weight loss" or "they are the latest fad" would be to ignore a very healthy high fiber food. They have lots of Omega 3s, more than flax seed IIRC, lots of fiber, and various things like that. Also, unlike flax seeds, you don't have to grind them first for your body to digest them. All that translates into a healthy natural way to increase your Omega 3s that does not require eating fish.

I find they really help keep me feeling full. While they may not directly help me lose weight, that extra fiber certainly does help. Of course you could eat beans for the fiber, and they would help as well. I find chia seeds convenient and they serving size I use provides about 6 grams of fiber. For most North Americans that is more than half the fiber they eat in a day (something I find hard to believe) and it contributes to the 40 plus grams of fiber I eat every day in an easy to consume manner.

All the other claims are hype, but for an easy source of fiber and Omega 3s, they are my choice over flax seeds.
  • nickscutie
    nickscutie Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I think they sell them at nuttyguys.com