? For Those With FT4

ebgbjo
ebgbjo Posts: 821 Member
edited September 24 in Fitness and Exercise
How do I set my burning zone? When I added in my height and weight, the range automatically came up as 120-160. I have been killing myself using Insanity and my average hrt is 167-185 and because I have been averaging that high, I have been only in the zone of 120-160 for about 9mins and I wonder if my calories burned is accurate. For instance, I just finished Insanity Cardio Power and Resistance and says I burned 376 calories and was only "in the zone" for 9:29mins

Replies

• amyoliver85
    amyoliver85 Posts: 353 Member
    Go to the Polar web site. You can download the full user manual and look at FAQ on your FT4.

I just ordered the FT4 through my boot camp and am still waiting for it. But it should be pretty accurate. I have never seen anyone have a problem with it and nearly everyone in my boot camp has one.

web site: www.polarusa.com

Oh, btw, there is also a forum on the site where you can see what other users have had to say and also potentially get assistance there.
  • ebgbjo
    I just wish I would have researched this watch more. I have come up with several people having the same complaint as me about calories burned being off. Also, why a full manual is not included with the watch is beyond me. No one from Polar answers any questions on their own website forum.

Even the manual says that they take 220-minus your age to set max heart rate, which mine is way off as mine should be 188 then, but on my watch they have it set to 160. It is only 3 days old and ****s Sporting Goods where I bought it said because of the nature of product, they do not accept returns on heart rate monitors.
  • UpToAnyCool
    UpToAnyCool Posts: 1,673
    Exercise > Settings > HR Limits:

from there you can pick
    -Ownzone (follow instruction manuals to figure out baseline - I haven't done this myself)
    -Automatic > Hard/Medium/Light
    -Manual

I'm not a trainer or fitness coach, but as far as the watch is concerned, the 'burn' range is not necessarily the same as optimal range for cardio training, depending on what your goals are. In other words, working closer to your Max. Heart Rate does not seem to fall in the pre-programmed 'burn' range on the watch.
  • frostiegurl
    frostiegurl Posts: 708 Member
    You can change the settings manually. The full manual is available on the polar website as well. If you think the the default setting isn't right for you then change it to the setting that is right for your particular heart rate and zone. It's really not all that difficult.
  • ebgbjo
    No reason to get snippy frostie. Not everyone is familiar with HRM- if you can't offer advice without the snarkiness, then don't offer it at all, at least on my threads.

Thank you loopy- that is exactly what I was looking for.
    Thanks as well Amy
  • frostiegurl
    frostiegurl Posts: 708 Member
    I wasn't being snarky at all. Sorry you thought that. I was simply offering the information that I discovered when I set mine up yesterday.

* this is why I find it so difficult to offer any information or advice in an online environment. People assume a certain tone is being used automatically.
  • ebgbjo
    I apologize frostie, but it was your last sentence of " It's really not all that difficult." that made it seem you were being a bit rude, at least to me. I apologize if you did not mean it that way
This discussion has been closed.