HRM question.

Options
I was reading through some of the old posts about this because I am really thinking about buying an F6 and I was just wondering/confused about if you could get a HR reading just wearing the monitor on your wrist or do you have to wear the chest strap? :huh:

Thanks!

Replies

• food_junkie
    food_junkie Posts: 434
    Options
    I was reading through some of the old posts about this because I am really thinking about buying an F6 and I was just wondering/confused about if you could get a HR reading just wearing the monitor on your wrist or do you have to wear the chest strap? :huh:

Thanks!
  • thalli1
    thalli1 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    There are some monitors that don't have the chest strap, but you have to stop and push buttons to get a reading. People on here have talked about that being a pain, so when I bought mine, I got the kind that has the strap. I don't always have to wear the strap though, I can just tuck the monitor part of it into my bra and it stays there, depending on which sports bra I'm wearing. I hope this helps. :flowerforyou:
  • douganl
    douganl Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    They say the one with the strap is more accurate. I love my hrm!!!
  • food_junkie
    Options
    Hmmm..so you won't get a wireless reading if you don't push the buttons? :huh: So does that mean you have to keep pushing in order for it to keep track of the number of calories you burned?
  • food_junkie
    Options
    I just read an article that made it sound like the polar hrms come with a chest strap? I guess you wear the strap and it transmit signals to your watch? This whole time I was thinking that you somehow had to attach the watch to the strap and wear it to get a reading..I am so clueless..hahaha
  • ohthatbambi
    ohthatbambi Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options
    I have the f6. The chest strap goes right below where your bra hits and I don't even notice it is there. It sends a constant signal to my watch. Last night at boot camp watch kept beeping (it does that as your hr goes up and down) and someone asked me what that noise was. I told that my hrm and it we kept working out so hard, it sounded as if I might explode!!:laugh: I really like the F6. It does everything I need it to do. It is nice to be able to look down at my watch while cycling and know exactly what my hr is so I can push a little harder if I need to rev it up!!
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    I just read an article that made it sound like the polar hrms come with a chest strap? I guess you wear the strap and it transmit signals to your watch? This whole time I was thinking that you somehow had to attach the watch to the strap and wear it to get a reading..I am so clueless..hahaha

The watch "talks" to the strap. It also "talks" to most cardio machines in the gym (like the elliptical). I am endlessly fascinated by mine, and LOVE it. I find myself doing things (like unexpectedly running to catch the bus) and wishing I had it on. I am, alas, a dork.:tongue:
  • pmkelly409
    pmkelly409 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    I have the F4 and when I purchased it the chest strap was included in the package. I would not purchase any HRM without the chest strap, did it both ways and the chest strap is the only way to go!

once the watch is sync'd (or the option is turned on I should say) to the chest strap you never have to do anything again, it just automatically reads your HR as soon as you attach the tranmitter.

I think Viv mentioned this above but I LOVE that it talks to the machines at the gym - usually screws with the person next to me - sometimes I don't tell them its me! :devil:

also, It keep track of your total calories burned for the week which I really like - total dork but I like to see if the whole 3500 calories = 1 lb of fat thing is true!

If you are looking at the F4, let me know, I would like to change to a HRM that is more geared for runners. It is only two months old I will be listing on ebay unless someone wants to buy it...
  • AJCM
    AJCM Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    I have the F4 and when I purchased it the chest strap was included in the package. I would not purchase any HRM without the chest strap, did it both ways and the chest strap is the only way to go!

once the watch is sync'd (or the option is turned on I should say) to the chest strap you never have to do anything again, it just automatically reads your HR as soon as you attach the tranmitter.

I think Viv mentioned this above but I LOVE that it talks to the machines at the gym - usually screws with the person next to me - sometimes I don't tell them its me! :devil:

also, It keep track of your total calories burned for the week which I really like - total dork but I like to see if the whole 3500 calories = 1 lb of fat thing is true!

If you are looking at the F4, let me know, I would like to change to a HRM that is more geared for runners. It is only two months old I will be listing on ebay unless someone wants to buy it...

Hi Kelly... I did notice that when I went to order the F4 online that at the bottom it said, "Compatible with x chest strap"... so do I have to order that seperately, or does it already come with one??? It's so confusing, and the site does not list what exactly comes with it!

Thanks for any help!
    Amanda
    :flowerforyou:
  • pmkelly409
    Options

Hi Kelly... I did notice that when I went to order the F4 online that at the bottom it said, "Compatible with x chest strap"... so do I have to order that seperately, or does it already come with one??? It's so confusing, and the site does not list what exactly comes with it!

Thanks for any help!
    Amanda

How much is it listed for? Assume it does not come included if it doesn't list is specifically, worst case is you buy the chest strap separate and return it. If it is about $90 then the strap is included, if it is about $40-45 then it is not included...
  • food_junkie
    Options
    Thanks for all the help!!!!!
    I will be buying mine tonight on ebay!
    I am excited.
  • AJCM
    Options
    Uhhh.... the monitor is around $80 Canadian, which is making me think that it is not included!
    Thanks for the help!

Anynguyen06 - which one are you buying?
    :smile:
  • pmkelly409
    Options
    Uhhh.... the monitor is around $80 Canadian, which is making me think that it is not included!
    Thanks for the help!

I will sell you mine! Tell me the best price you are finding on ebay and I will sell it to you with no shipping....
  • food_junkie
    Options
    Thanks for the help!

I am buying a pink polar F6! :smile:
  • pmkelly409
    Options
    Thanks for the help!

I am buying a pink polar F6! :smile:

Pink! Aren't you cute!! :flowerforyou:
    Enjoy!!
  • AJCM
    Options
    Thanks for the help!

I will sell you mine! Tell me the best price you are finding on ebay and I will sell it to you with no shipping....

What do you have to sell??? The monitor or just the strap?
  • ohthatbambi
    ohthatbambi Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options

The watch "talks" to the strap. It also "talks" to most cardio machines in the gym (like the elliptical). I am endlessly fascinated by mine, and LOVE it. I find myself doing things (like unexpectedly running to catch the bus) and wishing I had it on. I am, alas, a dork.:tongue:

I have those dork moments myself. One night I am going to sleep in it, just to see what it says in the morning. Now that is what you call a dork!!!!:tongue:
  • food_junkie
    Options
    So after much bickering with the boyfriend about whether or not I'll actually use a HRM...I ordered one online this morning :laugh: . I don't care what he says hahaha..I think this being potentially addicting could actually be a positive thing!

I mean c'mon..its a brand new pink polar F6 and I got it for 60$! and thats with shipping. :smile:

Yay.
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    Congrats! Welcome to the world of fitness geeks! :laugh:
  • PrincessLaundry
    PrincessLaundry Posts: 2,758 Member
    Options
    I have nothing useful to add...but wanted to say, cute ticker photo anhnguyen06!