HRM and calories Burned

Options
So for the last couple of weeks I have been thinking about getting a new HRM...one that will tell me my calorie burn (like the Polar F6) Now I have an older Polar that just gives me my average heart rate for the duration of the exercise I am doing...what I would like to know is if my old polar is accurate...I have a website that I go to for the calulation I enter my age/sex/weight/duration of exercise/average HR and an avergae VO2Max ( I use the recommended 38)

So today I did P90X Yoga X, and on all kinds of forums it states that you burn around 400-600 calories, yet from the calculate above I barely reached 200...

I the question I am asking is how can I tell if my old Polar is accurate?

Anyone who has a Polar F6, what kind of calorie burn do you get?

To me 200 Caloies seems very low for 90 minutes of yoga...

Any advice would be great, I am still considering the F6, but if it going to give me the same disappointing read out as my old one I might as well save my money and accept the lower burn....

Thanks in advance :)
~Jenn

Replies

• wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    Here's an article I found on yoga and the average calories it burns when I was looking for more info on it a few weeks ago. http://www.elysiumyoga.com/benefits/calories-burned-in-yoga-2/

According the article, if you're just doing the most basic, typical form of yoga, then your caloric burn is probably pretty close. But as someone that just recently got a Polar FT4 HRM, I vote for buying an HRM that shows you the actual calories burned. My HRM has been great for me so I have much more accurate returns on everything I do.
  • kadye
    kadye Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    When I did P90X it seems like my calories burned for yoga was around 200. I have a Polar F6
  • sjcply
    sjcply Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    I have polar f6 and I always burn 150-200 with yogaX. You will not burn as much doing yoga because it is not high impact....it is more for flexibility and stretching. BUT is an excellent workout!
  • winterjade
    winterjade Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Awesome insight, Thanks everyone!