RUNNERS and DOGS...

✿KẙMb529✿
✿KẙMb529✿ Posts: 152
edited September 24 in Fitness and Exercise
It seem like everytime I go out to run a DIFFERENT dog approaches or chases me and it drives me nuts!!! Don't get me wrong, I love dogs, I'm just leery of dogs I'm not familiar with. One day I was running with my dog and another dog that was not on a leash attacked him!! Luckily, she stopped when I yelled at her. Shortly after that, her owner called her back. Then today I was running alone and this little dog charged me. His owner was with him but he was like "stop! just don't move and he won't bite you." I'm like really? why isn't he on a leash if he's that aggressive?, but I didn't say those things. I was just perfectly polite. So I have a few questions. Do you have issues like this in your neighborhood or similar stories? What would you do if you were in my situation?? Surely there's a leash law that isn't being enforced. And lastly, what do you do if you feel threatened by a dog? Is staying stll the best option?

Replies

• spacecase76
    spacecase76 Posts: 673 Member
    I live in the boonies, no leash laws outside of city limits. When I get up the nerve to run where people can see me, it will be at the park on the track...specifically for this reason. People are stupid about their dogs. My dog wouldn't bite a flea, she is very patient with my 3 year old daughter, but, I wouldn't put it past her to bite or chase someone running, or someone trying to hurt her, and therefore she is kept in the house.

I was a meter reader for the electric company for years. I am not afraid of dogs, most dogs like me, but while running is not the time I want to meet one! I do own mace, but, I don't want to be chased by dogs to begin with :frown:
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    I'd let your local animal control know there's a problem with dogs off leash in that area, especially if it's a park where kids play.

Standing still is the best thing. Dogs like to chase things - in fact, one suggestion if your dog is loose is to run the OTHER way and have him chase you, rather than run after him - and a dog with a high prey drive might attack a moving target.

I hate when people don't obey leash laws. :mad:
  • backinthenines
    backinthenines Posts: 1,083 Member
    I totally understand.

We have the same problems here in the UK and UK running forums are FULL of threads of runners who have been jumped at by dogs, bitten, chased, irresposible owners who are extremely rude and think their pets have more rights than another pedestrian.

Like you I love dogs, but am cautious of dogs I don't know. The argument "don't move and he won't bite" is ridiculous quite frankly!!!! It's not your responsibility to make sure the dog doesn't bite!! You should be able to do anything you bloody well like and the dog shouldn't bite and if it's that aggressive it should be muzzled and on a lead.

I was involved in a bike accident once when a dog owner had his dog run around on a cycle path out of control. I got pretty hurt. He tried to blame me initially... I had my mobile in my pocket and called the police... his attitude was soon different. He was cautioned!

I love dogs but some owner's attitude stinks!!! :explode:
  • Kirstie_C26
    Kirstie_C26 Posts: 490 Member
    spooky i should read this 2nite...when i was walking home after my zumba class 2nite i was walking quite briskly down a residential street when all of a sudden a huge black dog jumped at the gate i was walking past :O it scared the s*** outta me!! im glad that, a) the gates were closed, and, b) that there were no cars coming down the road at the time or id of been hit!
  • ArchyJill
    ArchyJill Posts: 548 Member
    Standing still is the best thing. Dogs like to chase things - in fact, one suggestion if your dog is loose is to run the OTHER way and have him chase you, rather than run after him - and a dog with a high prey drive might attack a moving target.

Spot on advice!

Another thing that's usually worked for me is to yell at the dog like he is my own (my own are head-strong, I get lots of practice)..."Get down!" "No!" "Sit!" etc. If nothing else it confuses them, gets other people to notice you, and 9 times out of 10 the dog will either listen or run off.
  • dawny78
    dawny78 Posts: 132 Member
    I own 2 dogs and run with both of them so does my hubby , I also know dogs very well worked with them for years . It's the same situation as dog off lead invading another dogs space in turn will more than likely get told off .
    In this situation i would if running with my dog and get approached then either 3second rule sniff go gone and if this docent happen like sometimes the other dogs more interested than wanted I'd make a Gr noise and shoo it away lucky i have well behaved dogs that listen to me and If I'm out walking mine and see runners then out mine on lead after all the OWNERS meant to be in control . Some people really shouldn't own dogs if they can not be responsible for them.
  • acknan
    acknan Posts: 261 Member
    I was walking my dog at our local state park and an unleashed German Sheppard came up to my 45 lbs dog and me. When I said something to the old woman who owned the dog about the leash law, she said that my dog's back hair was up and was aggressive. My dog was on a leash and she said that leashed dogs were the real problem because good, competent owner didn't need leashes and a leash was a sign of an un-confident and incompetant owner. In my opinion, if a dog is within half a mile of a public road, it is negligent to not ensure the dog's safety and the safety of others with a leash or if it is your home a fence of some sort. It's just unfair to make your pet someone else's problem. Be it preference, safety, allergies, whatever, it's not right. Good luck! I'd call animal control if you don't feel that you can talk the owner. let them know it has been a recurring issue!
  • dawny78
    dawny78 Posts: 132 Member
    Dogs Heckles can go up for a number of reason but aggressive no don't think so excited worried scared excited in play , her dog was a threat to yours and approached your dog in a bad manner !!
  • kingkimi1213
    kingkimi1213 Posts: 132 Member
    Funny, there is this one dog in my neighborhood that growls at me everytime I run by sometime he will follow me half way down the street, but yet will not attack me. This is when Im by myself of course. Now I have two dogs, one is a pit mix and she is female and not very big and I have another dog who is a male and he is an pitbull that weighs about 75 lbs. Whenever I take them with me, this dog that follows me does not. All of a sudden this dog is completley different and just barks and just watches my dogs sometimes plays with them. Another dog does the same. I dont know what it is about certain dogs. I 'bother' them so much when Im by myself but when Im with my dogs its okay... Hmmm...
    As for my dogs, they love people. My female dog actually can run with us without a leash and is crazy friendly. My male dog is friendly as well but I only really just walk him because he is lazy. Unless Im by myself at a park or at a dog park I always keep my dogs on leash. Im confident that they would never hurt anyone, but I dont think its fair for other people to see us approaching them and wonder if my dog might go crazy on them. They dont know my dogs. So I can understand why seeing a leash dog is better. I agree 100% that people should do better on leashing their dogs, friendly or not.
    What I actually do because my route is the same, I always see the same outside dogs. ALWAYS. I ask their owners if I can give them a treat when I walk by and that usually helps them realize that Im not doing anything wrong.
  • bbygrl5
    bbygrl5 Posts: 964 Member
    I hate to admit to this, but I was out with my dog the other day and the owner of this boxer mix lost control of the leash and the dog came charging my little 25 lbs dog and started biting him behind his head, on the neck. I screamed at the dog and was aggressive toward him, but he still wouldn't let go. The owner just stood their, petrified, and wouldn't come get her dog, so I hate to say it, but I had to kick the dog in the face. :ohwell:

I love animals and am strongly against animal cruelty of any form, but when she did nothing and my dog was being attacked, I went into "parent" mode and protected my dog at all costs. I was pretty heated, needless to say, so I said a bunch of really not nice things to the owner for just standing there, lol, but I'm sure she'll get over it and hopefully learn that her dog is her responsibility, even when unexpected things happen, like the leash getting away from her.

She did feel very bad about it. Anyway, I know I didn't really answer your question, lol, but I just felt I could add my frustration to yours. I pride myself on being a very responsible dog owner. I always have my dog on a leash and I always pick up after him and never let him near other passersby because he is territorial.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    I've been approached, while walking my Pekingese, by stray dogs that made me nervous. I've worked with animals, so I'm not afraid of dogs, but I know what they're capable of. I try to make myself look bigger, and use a deep voice to tell them, "NO!" and "GO HOME." So far, it's worked every time.

*knock on wood*

I also pick up my Pekingese, because he THINKS he's big and tough and can take on any dog, including the neighborhood Akita, St. Bernard and Alaskan Malamute. :noway: In theory, that's the wrong thing to do, because the stray dog could attack ME, but I'd rather me be the one to get bit. I can survive a bit better than my little guy, and a dog biting a person would be a bigger deal from a legal standpoint than one biting another dog.
  • kelsully
    kelsully Posts: 1,008 Member
    I do not like dogs. I have been afraid of them since was a toddler. I had irrational phobic fear until I had kids. When I coached cross country I was running with the kids and a little kick me size dog got out of its fenced in yard and started nipping at us...my best defense was to throw an athlete in front of me (hanging head in shame now) the girl picked the dog up and put it back in the yard...I had to stop the irrational fear thing when some neighborhood dog got out and was running the neighborhood and I had to fight the urge with everything in my being not to stand behind my then 4 year old daughter. I picked her up and kicked her bike over at the dog...her sisters were sitting on the stoop watching like I was crazy...I have calmed down a lot since then.

Anyway...I will freeze like a statue. I carried mace around with me for a while as there seemed to be alot of dogs out for a period of time....sorry...I don't love your dog. I respect your love for your dog and would never hurt an animal without cause but I am not getting eaten alive (yes that is my fear as most large dogs are bigger than me if they jump up) so I will throw a knee if I have to and then probably cry....but on the bright side...the heart racing that occurs when dogs approach at all, even dogs I know, probably means I am burning cals right???
  • marber
    marber Posts: 118 Member
    I have 2 dogs both Shih Tzu's they have been trained to stand for runners. I did this for a number of reasons. My dogs are friendly but can be too friendly and they could easily trip runners up causing injury to the runner and possibly them.

One of them is so good at standing she does it without being told now this is handy if I don't hear the runner coming.

It did not take long to train them and trust me Shih Tzu's would never win awards in obedience.
  • mikeyml
    mikeyml Posts: 568 Member
    I've been around dogs my entire life and I currently own two large Labradors. My dogs have never chased a runner or a biker but that's because I've trained them to stay with me until I give the release command. My neighborhood is a lot like yours in that there are a lot of dogs - some well behaved and some not. The majority of dog owners near me walk their dogs off leash when they are away from people but you will always encounter a random runner or person. The people that let their dogs chase someone quite frankly have no control over their dog - they are not the one in charge. I'd get into the discussion of people who just shouldn't own dogs but that is probably for another thread. I wanted to give you some insight about what to do when encountering a strange dog.

Dogs read your body movements and behavior to determine if you are a threat or a friend. The worst things you could do when meeting a random dog are: standing still, running away, making eye contact, or putting your hand out to pet the dog. If you seem nervous at all the dog will mistake you for a threat. Be cool and confident. Collect yourself even if you are feeling really uncomfortable. If the dog sees that you are confident and calm then it will not attack you. Now of course there are dogs that are entirely out of control but that is a different scenario.

Unlike humans, dogs operate on a scale of hierarchy. They constantly want to know who is in charge of any given situation and they will challenge you if you appear weak. If you freeze or run away then you are essentially telling them that they are in charge and then they have control of the situation. Likewise if you make eye contact and the dog determines that you are scared then it will know you're not in control. If you're jogging along and a dog approaches you then do not make any eye contact. If the dog starts to chase you then slow down and firmly tell it NO! If you continue running at this point the dog will know it's faster than you and that will trigger its hunter instincts. If the dog continues to follow you after you've slowed down then stop, turn around very confidently and say NO! Bad! Go Home! The dog will probably look at you, maybe sniff, and then go on its way. If it doesn't respond to your commands or growls at you then turn back around and walk away slowly. If the dog does growl at this point then you're dealing with a very aggressive animal and you need to call 911.
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Before I say this I want to preface with the fact that I am not a dog-hater by any means. So I advocate this only if you truly feel you are in danger.

My sister lives in the country and there is a very large, vicious dog that lives just down the road from her. Normally he's in the backyard where he lives, contained by a fence, but he has been known to chase and try to attack people if he's outside the fence when they go by. He hasn't been successful in causing any major injuries, but she worries that if she walks by he might attack her. She's taken to carrying a tube of pepper spray if she has to walk in that direction, because she fears injury from this dog. If you are truly afraid, pepper spray is an option, but I would hope that you wouldn't use it unless the dog was actually trying to attack. Chasing for fun is one thing, but if the teeth are bared and he's in attack mode, it might not be a horrible idea to have something to protect yourself. Some dogs don't respond to commands by people other than their owners. I would hate to see anyone use pepper spray on a dog unless it was the absolute last resort, so if you feel you might be trigger-happy with it, it's best not to carry it.
  • dawnemjh
    dawnemjh Posts: 1,465 Member
    I have a dog and often run with her (on a leash). where I live there is a leash law, so I dont often face this problem. WIth that being said, your safety is of the utmost importance here. Much more so than a dog. I would try a local petstore like petco or petsmart and see if they sell some sort of spray or whistle that you can use to make the dog go away without hurting it, and if that didnt work I would go for pepperspray or something like that. No dog is more important than your own safety if you are not on their property!!
  • NeuroticVirgo
    NeuroticVirgo Posts: 3,671 Member

Exactly what I've heard, is stand still. I mean to an extent you have to trust your gut. Some dogs may look aggressive (because they are chasing you) but are actually just a nice house dog that got out, and a little shout like "go home" or "no" would make them stop or leave you alone.

I have problems like this all over my neighborhood. People don't even seem to bother keeping their dogs in their yards! They just let them out to roam the street. We have animal control, but they don't really do anything about it. I think its because we live in a rual area, so they have "bigger" things to worry about like calls about skunks or mountain lions. But when I'm trying to take my dogs for a walk is a nightmare going by all the other dogs who want to jump, sniff, bark, growl at each other and my dogs. It makes me not even want to go anymore.

If its an occurrence with the same dog (that is always out vs a 1 - 2 time thing ) I would warn the owner that next time your calling the local animal control or humane society. It might make you feel bad, but its better than you getting hurt or the dog getting hurt. (One of the dogs around here was just recently run over, and it was someone I had reported a few times who just let their dog run around all the time).
  • brittanyscherich
    brittanyscherich Posts: 355 Member
    once, i went to the local park (2 minute walk away) just to take a short stroll with my puppy. This unleashed dog charged him, and my puppy is so playful in innocent. Mine wanted to play and the dog's owner was calling him frantically. this is not a dog park, it's within city limits. there are leash laws! so this big dog preceeded to attack my then- 5 month old puppy! my puppy was then around 50lbs, i can barely lift 15lbs. But with super human strength, i lifted my dog and the evil dog was jumping on me and stuff. Eventually, the owner got control of her dog. And my puppy still wanted to play with him! lol It was soooo scary, though!
  • I'm so happy to hear I'm not the only one to have negative experiences with dogs. I think I will get some pepper spray and pray I would never have to use it. I'm just hoping it will make me feel safer and not so vulnerable. Also, I found some information on my area about leash laws..It says, "Dogs must be kept under the control of their owner at all times, whether by leash, fence, or other humane means." If I continue encountering the same dog, I will have to call and report it. I often run with my son in a jogging stroller and would really hate to be chased while I'm out with him (which actually happened where we were living before here):frown: . Thanks for all the advice and the posts that reminded me that I'm not alone! :happy:
  • Girl you did the right thing! That's your dog. Think of it this way... if you owned a large dog and were attacked by the same dog, I'm sure you'd expect your dog to come to your defense right?
This discussion has been closed.