Any other breastfeeding moms out there?

Options
I had my 3rd baby 7.5 weeks ago, and would like to lose the last 10lbs. I am exclusively breastfeeding, though, so can't cut my calories like I'm used to when I want to lose weight. I had a c-section so wasn't very active up until about 2 weeks ago, and am finding it hard to get into a groove with a new baby who wants to be held all the time and 2 older kids who need attention, too.

Replies

• Panda86
    Panda86 Posts: 873
    Options
    You can cut a some calories to help you lose weight, but its a very fine balance. If it helps, you there is an entry for breastfeeding in the food database. You will need to know about how much your baby is taking in for each feeding. Hope that helps :) Talk to a doctor or lactation consultant and they will be able to tell you how many calories you can cut while still keeping up your milk supply.
  • alyssa92982
    alyssa92982 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    I hear ya! I am also having a hard time cutting calories because I am also breastfeeding my 7 wk old- I know I could cut even more so but in the back of my mind I know I better not so I don't lose my milk supply:-(
  • Ahzuri
    Ahzuri Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    1800 calories is the bare minim you'd want to cut down to in the first year, lower than that could effect your supply. After that if you continue to breastfeed you can cut down even lower. You burn can anywhere from 500-800 calories a day by breastfeeding so if you maintain your calories I'm sure those 10lbs will come off in no time flat :) Also I feel your pain, my daughter who is 15 months old now was born via c-section it was so hard to get active after her birth.
  • malissaperkins
    Options
    I too am breastfeeding. My son is 6 months old, still nursing every 2-3 hours.....around the clock! Just like when you're prego, you only need 300-500 more calories to maintain your milk supply. I add 400 extra per day and still am losing weight. I have a 3.5 year old too, I barely ever get to exercise, bc the baby won't let me put him down (my fault!!) My supply hasn't dropped at all! Hope this helps :)
  • CrystalS
    CrystalS Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Right there with you. :happy: I would like to lose about 25 pounds.

Congratulations on your new baby. :happy:
  • MaKisMom
    MaKisMom Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    My baby BF's about 8 or 9 times a day, he consumes about 4oz a feeding. I know it's somewhere between 300-500 calories a day. The calculator doesn't take that into account, does it? I do put in the BFing "food", I just wish it was under exercises and not food. I just know that when I was BFing my 2nd daughter and was tracking calories, taking into account the BFing calories, I ended up diminishing my supply after a while, but luckily it was when she was almost a year, so it wasn't as big a deal.