Does everything count?

NMandaMarie
NMandaMarie Posts: 234 Member
edited September 24 in Fitness and Exercise
Do you count all the little exercises, like grocery shopping? I feel they fall more in the "average daily activity"...

I have been tracking some of the out of the norm ones, like walking to the bank on lunch or walking to a local restaurant for dinner. I figured I can ount those because I've consciously made the choice to get off my butt and not take the car...

Anyway, thoughts??

Thanks!
Manda

Replies

• debruhf
    debruhf Posts: 196 Member
    Nope, I don't. I feel as if they didn't help me lose weight BEFORE, then they won't help me any NOW. I only count things that raises my heart rate for an extended amount of time.....like walking, aerobics, biking....etc. But you need to do what you're comfortable with.....for me it feels like I'm cheating and only hurting myself.
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    I have my level set as "sedentary," and I count it if it gets my heart rate up and/or I'm on my feet for an extended period of time. I don't count grocery shopping because I don't take long doing it and half the time I'm just standing around, not moving. But I do count vacuuming when I do the whole house, and I do count things like sweeping the sidewalks and front porch, and I count walking *to* the store, if I walk there.

If you have your level set above sedentary, I wouldn't count those things.
  • hewhoiscd
    hewhoiscd Posts: 1,029 Member
    I don't count anything that is a normal part of my daily life.
  • pyro13g
    pyro13g Posts: 1,127 Member
    Most people can use sedentary or light activity. Tracking every little thing will drive you nuts and result in poor results.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    I'm a stay at home mom and my activity level is set to lightly active. I figure that all the little things I do, laundry, dishes, getting up for diaper changes a million times a day, shopping, etc. are all covered by my normal daily activity.
  • Christie81
    Christie81 Posts: 88 Member
    I don't count house work or anything like that. I would count your walking and any exercise that you actually do.
  • NMandaMarie
    NMandaMarie Posts: 234 Member
    Nope, I don't. I feel as if they didn't help me lose weight BEFORE, then they won't help me any NOW. I only count things that raises my heart rate for an extended amount of time.....like walking, aerobics, biking....etc. But you need to do what you're comfortable with.....for me it feels like I'm cheating and only hurting myself.

"Cheating" - exactly, I came to the same conclusion. I'm with you; it clearly didn't help me then, so it doesn't increase my success now. :ohwell:

I just see every once and a while someone use shopping, cleaning or sex as an exercise and think "unless you're doing more now than you were before, not to count it."

Thanks!!
    Manda
  • Olona
    Olona Posts: 70
    I wish they did!!! But no they count as your daily activity those are what help you burn your average daily calories.
  • kelsully
    kelsully Posts: 1,008 Member
    There was a posterwho once said she did not log any activity she did while she was fat....so since she vacuumed fat she does not log vacuuming now.....however if she had a cleaning person do thatat one point because it was toomuch for. Her but she does it now then she might log it....so the idea of logging a walk to the bank, if you would have driven in the past makes sense. If you always walked then I would not log it now.
  • mommacool
    mommacool Posts: 138 Member
    I have been counting some things, especially if it is above and beyond what I used to do. I do have mine set as sedentary, so if I spend 30 minutes walking to and from somewhere, that I would not have done before, yes, I count it. There are all different choices of speed for walking, so you can choose your speed. If I spend an hour shoveling deep snow, and worked up a sweat, yes I count it. If i shovel the steps and walk... no. If I do an afternoon of heavy cleaning, yes, but day to day short chores, no. If you start to do more activity all the time, then up your activity level and do not count them as much.
  • veglandia
    veglandia Posts: 4 Member
    Count me in the "If I did it before I don't count it now" group. I only count the calories for exercises that I do for exercising sake - like hiking and bike riding. Everything else I don't count. It seems to be working - I'm losing about a pound a week.
This discussion has been closed.