Couple questions about sodium

Options
I go over my sodium limit almost everyday, and and we all know sodium helps retain water. I have an MMA fight on march 5th, and I currently weight around 204-205. So I'm concerned with the amount of sodium I have everyday because I dont want to hold anymore weight that I have to. I'm eating the cleanest, healthiest foods I ever have while training the hardest I ever have in my life, 6 days a week anywhere from 1-3 hours each day. Fellow fighters I have spoke with say that being 10-12 pounds within your weight class the day before weigh-ins is ideal. Anyway, what I want to know is, does sodium really retain an amount of water weight that I should be concerned with? Any input is appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

- Elliott

Replies

• Salpica
    Salpica Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Drink lots and lots of water. That will help flush out most of the extra sodium. I wouldn't be to concerned with being a little over your amount either.

I know a lot of wrestlers (the real kind, not WWE) will drink apple juice on the days coming up before weigh in's as it causes your body to cut a lot of the water out of it's system.

Good luck on the fight and let us know how you do.
  • RedHotRunner
    RedHotRunner Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    I reviewed your diary and have to question your statement of cleanest and healthiest. 77 wheat thins for dinner downed with a couple of sodas doesn't qualify for either.

Never the less, if you're training hard, you probably could use the extra sodium, so I wouldn't worry too much about it.

I'd just try to incorporate more fresh food and less pacakaged foods in your diet and drink boatloads of water.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    Yes, sodium can make you retain a lot of water. If I go over my sodium for two days in a row and I gain 2-3 pounds of water weight. The more you sodium you consume, the more water your body will hold on to. Drink lots of water and eat more fresh fruits and vegetables. Also cut out the soda, it doesn't do your body any favors.
  • Elli0tt
    Options
    Not to making any excuses but I tend to over think things so a lot of people who know me personally are telling me I need to relax because I am still 3 weeks out. So I do tell myself it'll be ok to have snacks I want sometimes. Also whether you question my statement of eating the cleanest and healthiest in my life or not, believe me, this is by far the healthiest I've ever eaten in my life. I used to drink a 2 liter of soda inside 2 hours every night, entire "large" bags of chips, large pizzas in one sitting, and so on. When I open something I finish it, why I'm not obese is a mystery to me.

As far as freshness and unpackaged foods some examples? Like chicken, I eat alot of chicken breasts, what would be a better source than say the bags of frozen chicken breast from walmart?

I reviewed your diary and have to question your statement of cleanest and healthiest. 77 wheat thins for dinner downed with a couple of sodas doesn't qualify for either.

Never the less, if you're training hard, you probably could use the extra sodium, so I wouldn't worry too much about it.

I'd just try to incorporate more fresh food and less pacakaged foods in your diet and drink boatloads of water.
  • Elli0tt
    Options
    Thanks, will do.

Drink lots and lots of water. That will help flush out most of the extra sodium. I wouldn't be to concerned with being a little over your amount either.

I know a lot of wrestlers (the real kind, not WWE) will drink apple juice on the days coming up before weigh in's as it causes your body to cut a lot of the water out of it's system.

Good luck on the fight and let us know how you do.
  • marniehodges
    Options
    Fresh boneless skinless breasts are the best, very low sodium. I buy tons when they're on sale and freeze them. When you buy the frozen ones they still seem to have preservatives and some have "added" flavor that really bumps up the sodium. Try raw almonds instead of the crackers; you still get the "crunch" factor and barely any sodium and they're full of the "good" fat and great protein for those muscles! Always try to eat fresh or frozen veggies instead of canned, way lower sodium And drink tons of water. I used to think that would make me retain more water but it so doesn't, does the opposite. Sounds like you've made huge strides in your eating and I say HOORAY FOR YOU!! :drinker: Great job! And good luck with your fight!
  • Elli0tt
    Options
    LOL Thank u very much, i needed that humor and enthusiasm. You also answered a question about water retention that i've been wondering about for awhile. I always wondered if I consistently drink a lot of water am I just going to have to drop that much more water weight before weighing in? So thank you for that lil bit of very useful info that I didnt even ask for : ) very much appreciated
    Fresh boneless skinless breasts are the best, very low sodium. I buy tons when they're on sale and freeze them. When you buy the frozen ones they still seem to have preservatives and some have "added" flavor that really bumps up the sodium. Try raw almonds instead of the crackers; you still get the "crunch" factor and barely any sodium and they're full of the "good" fat and great protein for those muscles! Always try to eat fresh or frozen veggies instead of canned, way lower sodium And drink tons of water. I used to think that would make me retain more water but it so doesn't, does the opposite. Sounds like you've made huge strides in your eating and I say HOORAY FOR YOU!! :drinker: Great job! And good luck with your fight!
  • soysos
    soysos Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    if your doing that kind of intense training the extra water retention might not be a bad thing. MFP uses a fixed rate for sodium when the amount that you consume should be in proportion to the amount you sweat. that being said the best way to flush excess sodium and water from your system is to sweat more. if you do a hard hour workout without taking a drink you can easily loose two pounds maybe three, you can loose another pound or so by standing on your head for five minutes right before stepping on the scale. just a few tricks I picked up in my glory days.
  • soysos
    Options
    Not to making any excuses but I tend to over think things so a lot of people who know me personally are telling me I need to relax because I am still 3 weeks out. So I do tell myself it'll be ok to have snacks I want sometimes. Also whether you question my statement of eating the cleanest and healthiest in my life or not, believe me, this is by far the healthiest I've ever eaten in my life. I used to drink a 2 liter of soda inside 2 hours every night, entire "large" bags of chips, large pizzas in one sitting, and so on. When I open something I finish it, why I'm not obese is a mystery to me.

As far as freshness and unpackaged foods some examples? Like chicken, I eat alot of chicken breasts, what would be a better source than say the bags of frozen chicken breast from walmart?

we are two of a kind brother.
  • Elli0tt
    Options
    Really? how does the standing on your head thing work? I can walk around on my hands for days so that will be easy for me to attempt which I will do tomorrow. Just to make sure, is it being upside down in general that does it or does my head actually need to support me as well as my hands?

if your doing that kind of intense training the extra water retention might not be a bad thing. MFP uses a fixed rate for sodium when the amount that you consume should be in proportion to the amount you sweat. that being said the best way to flush excess sodium and water from your system is to sweat more. if you do a hard hour workout without taking a drink you can easily loose two pounds maybe three, you can loose another pound or so by standing on your head for five minutes right before stepping on the scale. just a few tricks I picked up in my glory days.
  • soysos
    Options
    its being upside down that matters this raises your center of gravity so the scale perceives you lighter. generally speaking it will throw off the balance scales more than a digital one. on a digital scale its easier just to lean.
  • Elli0tt
    Options
    Ah ok I see, this may be a dumb question lol but which way do I lean? lol
    its being upside down that matters this raises your center of gravity so the scale perceives you lighter. generally speaking it will throw off the balance scales more than a digital one. on a digital scale its easier just to lean.