Questions for runners

40rocks
40rocks Posts: 21
edited September 24 in Fitness and Exercise
I have just started running (well, jogging's more like it). I am working on the C25K program, and it seems like a great program. I have only completed week 1, but I have noticed a few aches and pains. My knees hurt a bit, but it's nothing that keeps me from getting back after it. However, I am also noticing shin splints, especially on my left leg. When I'm running, I feel like I could keep going for a longer duration, but my shin gets sore. Questions:

1. Am I doing something wrong in terms of my form?
2. Are there things I should keep in mind when jogging to reduce the chances of continued pain?
3. How many days should I "rest" in between sessions? Maybe I'm doing too much too soon.
4. Is this a "newbie" condition that will pass with time and the development of endurance and strength. I realize I have not used these muscles in this way for a LONG time.

Any input would be helpful. I know we're all different, but sometimes the voice of experience is worth a million dollars. :-)

Replies

• bhb301
    bhb301 Posts: 338 Member
    I have done this program. I had horrible shin splits, after I got fitted for the correct running shoes, they went away.Also they recommend one day on and one day off. Do this bc I didn't and it hurts.Good Luck
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Some of it is normal; just your body getting used to things. But the #1 thing you really ought to do is visit a running store and get fitted for running shoes. They are trained to analyze your gait and recommend the best shoes for you. It really makes a world of difference.
  • RMinVA
    RMinVA Posts: 1,085 Member
    In a word...shoes!! Get fitted at a running store and spend the $$ on good shoes. Your joints will thank you!
  • The right shoes really do make all the difference! It is worth the time and money to get the right shoe for you. I experienced the same problem when I started running. Luckily I had someone who quickly told me it was all about the right shoes. Good luck! A great run is the greatest feeling!
  • Shin splints is a generic term for a whole range of lower leg ailments, but they can generally be avoided with some sensible guidelines. They are generally not serious to begin with, but pushing through the pain is risky and can lead to stress fractures and other long term injuries.

1. Run of softer surfaces whenever possible. Hard surfaces exacerbate the bone stress.
    2. Be very gradual with the increases in running distance/time. Give your body time to adapt to the stresses.
    3. Incorporate some walking into the running to reduce the stress. When you can complete a training session without pain, THEN try to run more and walk less.
    4. Make sure you have properly fitting running shoes.
    5. Try to avoid downhill running - walk down, run up... A good way to start any running program.
    6. Most of all - don't push through the pain. "No pain no gain" is a nonsense slogan. Be patient and allow your body enough time to adapt to the loads. Remember, you get fitter by being consistent, and you can't be consistent if you are injured! I've been an elite athlete and I still coach world class athletes - my advise to them is exactly the same as my advice above to you :smile:
  • Sometimes running on a hard surface can cause shin splints. I suggest, if you run outside, try running in the grass as much as you can. It can reduce the pressure of hitting the pavement. Also trying running, slowly, on your tip toes. Not for a long period of time but it does help reduce the pain. Also make sure you stretch out all areas of your calves. That may also help.

As for your knees, try not to run downhill. That is very hard on a persons knees. Other than that, it just may take some getting used to.

You were given great advice about shoes! Definitely find a good fitting pair. It will cost money, but it's worth it! Asics is a wonderful brand, as well as Brookes. You are also supposed to change shoes for every hundred miles you run in them. I don't do that, but I swap out for a new pair at least once a year. Running will, obviously, wear the shoe out and will be a greater cause of injury if worn too long.

As for resting, I don't know the proper idea. I do one day on, one day off. On my off days I typically walk around the mall near my house. Keeps the muscles active, but doesn't use them at as much of an intensity as running.

If you couldn't tell, I'm a runner! I'm training for my second half marathon. It's an absolute rush. :) happy training to you and please feel free to add me as a friend! I always enjoy hearing from fellow runners!
  • emmaleigh47
    emmaleigh47 Posts: 1,670 Member
    I have just started running (well, jogging's more like it). I am working on the C25K program, and it seems like a great program. I have only completed week 1, but I have noticed a few aches and pains. My knees hurt a bit, but it's nothing that keeps me from getting back after it. However, I am also noticing shin splints, especially on my left leg. When I'm running, I feel like I could keep going for a longer duration, but my shin gets sore. Questions:

1. Am I doing something wrong in terms of my form?
    2. Are there things I should keep in mind when jogging to reduce the chances of continued pain?
    3. How many days should I "rest" in between sessions? Maybe I'm doing too much too soon.
    4. Is this a "newbie" condition that will pass with time and the development of endurance and strength. I realize I have not used these muscles in this way for a LONG time.

Any input would be helpful. I know we're all different, but sometimes the voice of experience is worth a million dollars. :-)

Agree with all of the above posts, but to answer your questions speficially. (I will try to keep my biased opinions of c25K out of it though - breifly my problem with C25K is if you only do 20mins of intervals, do you not increase your carduiovascular endurance, so I think the interval duration should be a bit longer).

1. Are you doing something wrong? No although if you are having shin splints you are likely a heel striker. Try to land on your midfoot if possible.Getting your gait and shoes assessed would be a good first step!
    3. Always rest one day between runs - do not run more than 3 days per week when you first start out and do not increase your mileage by more than 10% every two weeks or so.
    4. If the pain gets better when you run, dont worry about it. Its just newbie aches and pains... if the pain gets worse when you run you need to stop, rest or cross train...

I know alot of people say you shoudl never have pain when you run ... but Im pretty sure they lie. I always have some pain when I run, but it gets better after mile 2 or so ...so I just keep going! :)
  • Thanks so much!! It looks like I'm making a trip to the shoe store. I also really appreciate the tips regarding stretching and resting. I think I need to just ease into it too. I'm so excited about running that I want to just run already!!!!!

:happy:
This discussion has been closed.