Any musicians out there?

Options
I'm a Viola Performance major and I'm having some major issues with balancing practicing and working out/running. Whenever I have a free minute, I love to go to the gym or go on a run-but I'm also sacrificing the extra time I could be practicing. When I practice, I feel guilty that I'm not working out!

Anyone else have the same issue? What do you do?

Replies

• partlycloudy
    Options
    Currently I'm in the school musical and have absolutely no time to exercise most of the time. I adore music, but I feel like I should quit the musical and look after myself more.
  • annscottdavis
    annscottdavis Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I totally understand. I'm a classical singer/voice teacher and I just have to remind myself that I am helping myself as a musician but creating a better, healthier home for my instrument and a better example for my students. Good luck with your journey.
  • biztrav3
    Options
    I'm not a musician, but can relate with you with regards to work. I travel for business and find myself in the same dilemma in the hotel rooms preparing for the next day's work and presentations. I oftern feel guilty that I am not working out, which I think will ultimately help my work performance. What I have been doing is scheduling my workouts in the morning when I wake up. This is tough as I am not a morning person, but once up and done I do feel better and have at least accomplished a task for the day. Good luck with the juggling act. You can do it.
  • risarunning
    Options
    Completely agreeing with the above two posts, as a former cello performance major here (just graduated)! It's so easy to get stuck in thinking that you are never practicing enough, but taking just 30 minutes to work out is worth it for the energy boost and health benefits. When I was in school I didn't do anything involving arms, though, since I've had left arm tendonitis for years (like everyone else... hah).

Plus, if you work out early in the day then you can check that off your list and spend the rest of your day squeezing in as much practice time as possible :)