Walked the same walk and got different....

SunLove8
SunLove8 Posts: 693 Member
edited September 24 in Fitness and Exercise
.....calories burned. My husband and I both walked our dog for 45 minutes and both entered it for the "Walking dog, 3.0mph", and it said he burned 228 cals and I burned 200 cals. Can anybody tell me why it's giving different cals burned? I didn't think that time we entered was based on our weight or anything, but maybe there is something I don't know after all this time. Thanks!

Replies

• LarryPGH
    LarryPGH Posts: 349 Member
    Yes -- calories burned depend both on your current weight and your gender (men generally have more muscle): both imply that, for a given exercise (assuming he's bigger than you), he'll burn more calories. Seems unfair, but that's the way it works...
  • SunLove8
    Yes -- calories burned depend both on your current weight and your gender (men generally have more muscle): both imply that, for a given exercise (assuming he's bigger than you), he'll burn more calories. Seems unfair, but that's the way it works...

Wow, that is crazy that I've never noticed that until now and I've been here for 70 days, lol. Thanks for letting me know!
  • sugarbeans
    sugarbeans Posts: 676 Member
    Actually it is indeed due to the fact that he weighs more than you. My boyfriend weighs more than I do and if we do the same activity at the same intensity he usually kicks my butt in how many calories were burned. (I actually now make it like a competition and work harder during our workouts so that I can be on par or above his burn.) I'm extremely competitive though. lol
  • Flacachica
    Flacachica Posts: 328 Member
    yes, typically gender and weight affect how many calories burned.
  • BirdsofaFeather
    BirdsofaFeather Posts: 98 Member
    You will also notice after pounds start coming off your calories burned will go down for that very same walk; there's less you walking!
  • SunLove8
    It's so strange to me that I didn't know the MFP calculator determined our weight and gender. I acutally just thought is was a generic configuration. MFP is actually even better than I thought, woot woot! :)

It's kinda funny because my husband started this 3 weeks ago and has almost lost as much as me and I've been on here for 70 days, AND I work out at least 6 days a week compared to his 3 days a week. Lucky men!!!
This discussion has been closed.