Weight Loss for pregnancy

Options
Like many people with PCOS, the main reason I am trying so hard to lose weight is for pregnancy.

Today I went to ob/gyn and was discussing my weight and struggle to lose it. He said that my weight loss is good (18kg in 2 years???) whereas I feel like it is incredibly slow. however, whereas I find it really hard to lose weight, I don't seem to put it back on.

He told me that weight loss is simple (yeah right) and it's the old calories in and calories out thing and that's it. If you eat only a few calories more than you need then you gain. So my new obsession with trying to find the right food plans for me may be a waste of time, I just need to watch the calorie iintake and I really need to exercise more. I'm sooooo lazy right now.

The worst thing he told me is that I'm getting near the cut off age for his clinic to treat (35) and fertility is just going to get worse and harder :(

Replies

• redleader98
    redleader98 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Go to a book store and find Jillian Michaels book "Master your Metabolism" and she talks a little about it.
  • Caperfae
    Caperfae Posts: 433
    Options
    I have PCOS and it's true that losing weight will help tremendously.
    To get pregnant with my daughter 5 years ago I needed Provera, Clomid and Metformin and felt like a pharmacy and a failure for needing so many pills to make my body do what it SHOULD do on its own.
    I have lost 30+ lbs over the last year and now I'm pregnant .. no meds at all.

If you want it bad enough ... exercise and get the weight off.
    Good luck!
  • phinners
    phinners Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    Have you been prescibed Metformin?

I've had PCOS for 12 yrs and was infertile until I started on that.

We now have a beautiful 3 month old son.

(I self prescribed it btw, I bought it online).
  • lilwednesday
    Options
    yes, I've been on Metformin for years.

Hoping to lose enough weight to sdtart IVF again this year. Have to get BMI to 32.
  • meghanner
    meghanner Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I'm a Registered Midwife and do quite a few pre-conception consultations for women with PCOS trying to conceive. Many times when you have PCOS you have a related insulin/blood glucose level issues. I usually recommend a diet that balances blood sugar levels by limiting carbohydrates, eliminating or reducing grains and dairy products, reducing fruit (I know it sounds nuts) increasing protein levels and increasing healthy fats. Many women have turned to Paleo/Primal diets and have had great success. The diet/exercise suggestions that accompany the Primal diet (Primal Blueprint) are a really healthy way to live and find a healthy balance. If you can get your body ovulating on it's own without the use of drugs the healthier your pregnancy will be.

Finally, when you do become pregnant there are some new guidelines about weight gain in pregnancy put out by the ACOG. They recommend not losing weight but depending on how over your 'ideal' weigh you are, not putting on weight. Continue with your healthy diet and exercise program and know that pregnancy only requires an additional 300 calories/day...however when breastfeeding you need an additional 500!
    Best wishes for a healthy body and baby.