Clothes must be made bigger now?

Options
k2d4p
k2d4p Posts: 441 Member
There is no other explanation. I went clothes shopping with my husband yesterday. (He picks much better clothes for me than I do.) So, we were looking around and he was picking lots of clothes in 8s and 10s, and mediums and smalls. I tried to tell him that they wouldn't fit, but he told me to try.

Not only did they fit, I had to go smaller.

I got two shirts size 4. A jacket size small (and it was a little big, but I figure jackets are supposed to fit a little big.) I got a skirt size 2. THAT IS NOT A TYPO!!!! SIZE 2! What the heck is going on? The only time I have ever touched a 2 in my life was to move it out of my way to get to the 14s, 16s, or 18s. I am in size small in my Navy uniforms.

So, I figure the only reasonable explanation is that clothes must be made bigger than they were 10 years ago. I really don't buy clothes that often, because it is usually torture. Please help me out. Anyone that has bought clothes in the last couple of years, are they bigger now? Or am I losing my mind. Is it possible that I might enjoy buying clothes now?

Replies

• monkeysmum
    monkeysmum Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    way to go you on losing so much to fit in thoise sizes

UK sizes are slightly differant a US 6 ia a UK 8 but for us our sizes are mix one brand 12 is great fit for me another a 16 doesnt touch so its frustrating

enjoy the shopping and dont worry on the sizes just brag how skinny you are lol
  • ivyjbres
    ivyjbres Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    Vanity sizing. Depending on the brand, they may be a labeled a few sizes smaller than other brands, or a whole lot. And as companies try to out compete each other for customers, they vanity size more and more, so yes, its a fair bet that clothes are made bigger than 10 years ago. How much smaller, I can't really tell you, I don't think there's a schedule for that....

Fun fact, when she was alive, Marilyn Monroe was a size 16, in the 90's, her measurements would have equaled a 12, and now, depending on the brand, someone with her measurements would fit between a 6 and a 10.
  • trudypickles
    Options
    :laugh: I lke the way you write ' when she was alive she was a 16...lol Id hate to know what size she is now ...sorry bad taste:noway:
  • isislc
    isislc Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I was trying to find the news our local newspaper ran about how designers are now starting to change clothing sizes to keep up with society. Size 10s are now 12s, 12s are now 14s. They claim that it's to keep up with obese Americans. I'll keep trying to find the story and post it here if I do.

On a lighter note, I would love to be your size. Congrats on the super shrinkage!
  • Mikiki_x
    Options
    I'm from the UK and I'm normally a size 14-16, needed to buy a new work shirt a few weeks ago and had to buy a size 20!! Its insane!
  • tkphotogirl
    tkphotogirl Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Clothes sizes drive me nuts! Around 20 years ago when I was a student I had a pair of jeans that were labelled up as a UK14, but they fit the same as a current UK 12. I own UK 8s and 10s that fit although according to the tape measure my jeans size should definitely still be a 12. I for one would like to see these stupid size labels abolished and all clothes labelled up with the bust, waist and hip measurements in inches or centimetres that they will ACTUALLY fit, I would love to be able to buy something without trying it on and know that the label isn't going to mislead me about the dimensions!
  • jroulo
    jroulo Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I had a horrible experience last year. I thought I was going to make my dress for my son's wedding from a dress pattern. I picked out the pattern without measuring my waist and it was a disaster. The size 8 pattern, which is my normal clothes size, is supposed to be about a 24 inch waist which I'm 29 on a good day.
  • lesley1981
    lesley1981 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    I really wish it was as easy as walking into a shop, picking up something in my size and knowing it's going to fit! At the minute I'm wearing anything from a UK size 10 to a UK 14! And sometimes the 14 is still tight on me!

I recently got measured for a bridesmaids dress, and my measurements had me placed as a perfect size 12, but when I tried the 12 on I couldn't move in it, but the 14 was perfect... that could have been a slight disaster, and even the most amazing pair of sucky-in-pants would have got the zip up on that dress!
  • Charrisse
    Options
    Well dang. How depressing. I thought I really hit a goal whn I bought a size 8 and they fit gooooood. I havent been an 8 in 12 yrs, before my son was born. I guess Im still technically not! Wah :(
  • chuisle
    chuisle Posts: 1,052 Member
    Options
    It's always really annoying but sizes are not consistent, even within the same store! My advice, don't pay any attention to the sizes. If have to buy a bigger size but it fits then great. If you have to buy a smaller size then be happy about it but don't take it to heart too much either way. The best way to see progress is to see how your old clothes fit you, not necesssarily what size they are!
  • rlysrh
    rlysrh Posts: 244
    Options
    Normally I fit into size 14's very easily but sometimes size 12 if I squeeze in or if the shop's sizes change. But the other day I bought a pair of size 14 jeans that don't even fit, which is ridiculous because I'm 148lbs so there's no way I'd be a size 16. I even own other pairs of jeans from the same shop that are size 14 and fit a little loosely. It seems ridiculous to me that sizes aren't just the same in every shop. I mean does it actually make sense to ANYONE?
  • scagneti
    scagneti Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    Sizing is insane now. I needed new workout shorts so we went to a sports store, I grabbed my usual medium and my husband said that they were way too big for me. I checked to see if it was an XL on a M hanger, but the tag inside said M. He grabbed an XS and held them up and said that was my size. Sure enough, they fit. At 144, I'm not an XS.

I wonder what people who are 100 lbs soaking wet wear for yoga shorts because the XS would fall off of them!
  • ivyjbres
    ivyjbres Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    Sizing is insane now. I needed new workout shorts so we went to a sports store, I grabbed my usual medium and my husband said that they were way too big for me. I checked to see if it was an XL on a M hanger, but the tag inside said M. He grabbed an XS and held them up and said that was my size. Sure enough, they fit. At 144, I'm not an XS.

I wonder what people who are 100 lbs soaking wet wear for yoga shorts because the XS would fall off of them!

Special Order! When I was thin, I had to order half of my clothes online because my sizes weren't carried locally.
  • ropedancer
    Options
    My mother always jokes that she can tell the sizes have changed because she's still a size eight when that's the size she was 20+ ago.

Although it looks to me like you've lost a nice amount of weight to be plunging down the sizes so fast. Enjoy that :)
  • ally1127
    Options
    Congrats on the mega weight loss!!! Way to go. Now about the sizes, I was recently so excited, I needed new jeans and was able to fit into a size 12, so when I got home I pulled out some size 12 jeans I had saved from pre-baby days (about 11 years ago) and tried them on. Couldn't even button them!! I will need to lose about 5 more inches around the waist before I try again.
  • motivated42
    Options
    Congratulations, on your amazing weight loss!:smile:
  • Stefani74
    Stefani74 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    Well in high school I wore size 5 at 110 lbs...could not squeeze myself into a 3!! Now at 144 lbs I am again wearing a size 5... some styles fit good others I can't even fasten!! Sizing is just crazy!
  • sandram82
    sandram82 Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    OK.. So as everyone said.. sizes in clothes has changed some.. but honey you did ALOT of that and you should be super proud that your hard work is paying off. CONGRATS!!!!
  • hroush
    hroush Posts: 2,073 Member
    Options
    Mens are the same way. I have a 36 ish waist but I wear 34's no problem. The shirts are doing the same thing. Stores are going to do what makes the people happy.
  • MommyRobot
    MommyRobot Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I think you're just a skinny minnie now. ENJOY IT!!!! WOOOOO HOOOO!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!