Tiredness

Options
I have experienced a lot of tiredness on this first week of my diet. Is this normal? Im thinking its just the shock of a lot less cals that my body is adjusting? xxx

Replies

• tarjake
    tarjake Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    are you cutting out carbs? i was doing that too much at first and was experiencing the same tiredness, then it went away. i want to know if thats it, or is there a different reason.
  • morganadk2_deleted
    morganadk2_deleted Posts: 1,696 Member
    Options
    How many calories are you eating? maybe make your diary public so we can see what you are eating. :flowerforyou:
  • Kate_UK
    Kate_UK Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options
    The first week or so its a bit of a shock to your system, suddenly going from eatting what ever you want to restricting sugar and carbs. Are you exercising? Exerise will give you more energy and give it another week or so and you'll be feeling on top of the world
  • xxx_Pink_Princess_xxx
    Options
    Hey guys, not cutting down on carbs coz was told its not the best thing to do and I struggle with it!

Im only meant to be eating 1200 but im still going over that usually about 1500- finding it really hard not to! Im still getting used to the cals thing! I know this seems rediculas buit im embarrased to share my diary! :S This is me really trying so I hate to think how many cals I was eating on a daily basis b4 now!! I alwyas seen to manage to keep under my fat limit though which im finding encouraging!

Hehe - yeah I have started exercise but not too much as of yet! That is gonna start prop this week!

I will keep u guys updated as to how I get on this week.

Thanks for all your replys they are greatly appreciated! xxxx
  • sauza
    sauza Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I hope you find this encouraging, back in 1994 I had some weight to lose and aside from exercise ALL that I did was to restrict fat calories and I lost apprx 30 pounds. I didn't restrict any other calories at that time. I'm sure I would have lost the weight faster if I had, but I did lose it at the rate that mfp has now calculated as a healthy rate for me, so....
  • KokomoJoe
    Options
    Before I always could get by on 4 to 6 hours of sleep. Since I am eating healthy if I get less than 6 I am a mess. I am going to bed earlier now than ever before to ensure I get enough sleep. I am working on 5 hours today and KNOW I'll be in bed before 8 pm tonight. How much are you sleeping?
  • jammyone
    Options
    Hi Jeananne86

What kind of diet did you previously have?
    What kind of diet are on now?
    How long have you been on it?
  • xxx_Pink_Princess_xxx
    Options
    KokomoJoe - Love the name btw!

Well on sat night I went to bed at 1am and didnt get up till 12:30pm yesterday - almost 12 hours - then by 12 last night I was knackered again!! _ im not sure about during the week as I hadnt noticed it then - just that I was tired every morning! :(

jammyone - my diet before was see food and eat it!! I havnt been on one for a good while!

Now Im just doing cals as its easiest to work on here and its seems to be working - only been a week - Im usually over my 1200 cals limit but I have lost this week. So I am going to stick to it as see if it works :) x
  • jammyone
    Options
    That's great you've decided to better yourself :-)

Calorie counting is a good way to make sure you're always at a calorie deficit, but remember - it's about when and what you eat, not how much you eat.

If you're eating less now and you're feeling tired, that would suggest to me that your body is going in to starvation mode - which isn't very good for weight loss at all. I'd recommend eating a bigger breakfast and eat less sugar if it's possible. Also, don't chuck healthy fats our of your diet - if necessary, invest in some Omega 3 oil capsules as they will help your body from going into starvation.

Sources:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Starvation_mode
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Omega-3_fatty_acid

EDIT - Feel free to let me know what you're eating and when you're eating and I would be happy advise you on where you can improve :-)
  • xxx_Pink_Princess_xxx
    Options
    jammyone - this is my main prob - Im not very good at brekki!! I cant stomach it - its now 11:59am here and I am eating my first thing of the day!! which is a whole bag of sugar snap peas!!! Cool I will chack out the sites and the capsules!! Thanks sooo much for the help! xx
  • kwardklinck
    kwardklinck Posts: 1,601
    Options
    Soon you'll start to feel better. Just stick with it. Make sure you're eating a balanced diet and that you're not going to far with the exercise. Do you take vitamins?
  • xxx_Pink_Princess_xxx
    Options
    No Im not taking any viamins - do you suggest that I do? x
  • gingajoy
    Options
    don't forget that starting out on a diet and calorie counting can actually be quite mentally exhausting. We're forcing ourselves to go from not paying attention at all to paying attention *all the time*! Don't know about anyone else, but I find that tiring too:-) So give it time.

A hells yes to breakfast. Eat it!
    My other secret weapon is almonds. Not loads, but just enough to give me energy through the day.
  • jammyone
    Options
    Jeananne86,

Breakfast is the most important meal of the day, it sets your metabolism going. After 8 hours of sleep, you're body has had nothing to feed on and therefore your body is burning calories at it's absolute minimum. If you're struggling to eat first thing, try chugging down a great big glass of water on first thing before waking, then giving it an hour and see how you feel.

As gingajoy has said, Calorie counting can be extremely exhausting which is why I don't really recommend it. I always recommend eating healthily. If you cut out all sugar and stick to fat or at least slow release carbs (Rice, pasta etc), replace all grains with vegetables then it would be impossible for you not to lose weight and gain a sense of good health.

I always take a multivitamin, not so that I can be lazy about eating healthy or so that I can skip on greens but rather it serves as an insurance policy. It's always best to get your nutrients organically :-)