cereal: bad or good?

Options
So, I really really love cereal. I eat it every morning and many days I have it when I get home from work as a snack. Since I've started counting calories I'm realizing what a huge chunk I dedicate to cereal, (especially b/c I tend to go over the suggested serving sizes jut a little)

so what does everyone think ? should i change my breakfast habits or is cereal a good diet food?

Replies

• Jillmartin10
    Jillmartin10 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    So, I really really love cereal. I eat it every morning and many days I have it when I get home from work as a snack. Since I've started counting calories I'm realizing what a huge chunk I dedicate to cereal, (especially b/c I tend to go over the suggested serving sizes jut a little)

so what does everyone think ? should i change my breakfast habits or is cereal a good diet food?
  • LML79
    LML79 Posts: 697
    Options
    oh gosh I hope so because I live off cereal!
  • SUPREMENOTORIOUS
    Options
    CEREAL CAN BE GOOD. JUST MAKE SURE YOU ARE USING SKIM MILK OR 1% MILK .
    DONT EAT THE CHILDREN'S CEREALS LIKE FROSTED FLAKES, CAPTAIN CRUNCH, FRUITY PEBBLES AND ALL THAT SUGARY STUFF.
    SPECIAL K, CORN FLAKES, HONEY BUNCHES OF OATS, CHERRIOS ARE GOOD.
    I WOULD LIMIT THE CEREAL FOR ONCE A DAY.
    OR YOU CAN LOWER THE AMOUNT OF CEREAL THAT YOU EAT FOR BREAKFAST AND EAT A FRUIT OR A CUP OF YOGURT.
    I DONT THINK ANYONE FOLLOWS THE 3/4 CUP SERVING. ITS NOT VERY FILLING.
  • richardwelch
    Options
    unfortunately, sugar is usually the 2nd or 3rd ingredient in MOST cereals, even the good ones. just make sure you are monitoring your portions so that you can account for the calories and carbs.
  • elliott062907
    elliott062907 Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options
    I have to ad my 2 cents.

I love cereal.

Sweet or bland.

I use soy milk and when I do not feel like eating, I eat a bowl or two.

Not really hungry but just need a little somethin to tied me over.......
  • chelsey787
    chelsey787 Posts: 261
    Options
    i will definitely vouch for cereal herE!! i am a huge fan of cereal - my favorites are frosted mini wheats and all bran yogurt bites... yummy! i also love granola when i have enough calories!
  • chelsey787
    chelsey787 Posts: 261
    Options
    i will definitely vouch for cereal herE!! i am a huge fan of cereal - my favorites are frosted mini wheats and all bran yogurt bites... yummy! i also love granola when i have enough calories!
  • Katy009
    Katy009 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    I love cereal, too. I do, however, stick to only about 20 grams p/ serving. If I have that small amount with milk (100 ml only) , I also have toast or fruit with it.

Sometimes, instead of with milk, I add 10 or 20 grams of cereal to yogurt. It's filling and helps you stick to the portion size better.
  • insearchofskinny
    Options
    I love cereal too! Not so much for breakfast but as an evening snack. I'm on a low carb diet so I don't eat it at all anymore. I never had self control with a box of cereal around. A little over serving size... not! For me, it became one bowl after another.

In moderation, many cereals are very healthy.. whole grains and oats for example. Any of the bran cereals especially.

If it's accounted for daily... I think you should enjoy it anytime of day... serving size... remember to add those additional calories and stay within your plan. Good Luck!