Something Even Better than Valentine's Day!!

Options
bigcurt61
bigcurt61 Posts: 51 Member
Happy Valentine's Day to all!!

First let me say that I am not boycotting Valentine's Day, I'm only speaking from my perspective. My wife and I aren't big on Valentine's Day because we try to do give gifts/ do dates throughout the year (which can be tough with young kids). As a spouse or boyfriend/girlfriend if you only do stuff for your special person on holidays (i.e. Christmas, B-days, anniversaries, etc) you gotta STEP YOUR GAME UP!! (Get to) know your special person, for example ladies if your guy is into watching sports get him a gift card to Buffalo Wild Wings or Dave and Busters. Guys if your lady is into being pampered get a package to a day spa, a couples massage, or even go pick out an outfit for her! (Check her clothes for her sizes and make sure you get a gift receipt just in case... Make reservation for one of her favorite restaurant so she can where here new outfit and plan the whole evening out). Do it just because you love that person!! Many times the little things (gesture) make a bigger impact than the big things (jewelry). One thing to keep in mind though is that gifts can never take the place of actually telling someone how much you love, appreciate, and admire them.

My Plug for healthy, prosperous, long lasting relationships! :-)

Curt

Replies

• SKismet
    SKismet Posts: 137
    Options
    So true! I have to wonder if that mentality of only doing special things for your significant other on special days is part of why so many people dislike this holiday, even when they have a Valentine!
  • luv2ash
    luv2ash Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    LIKE!!!!!
  • nolachick
    nolachick Posts: 3,278 Member
    Options
    Happy Valentine's Day to all!!

First let me say that I am not boycotting Valentine's Day, I'm only speaking from my perspective. My wife and I aren't big on Valentine's Day because we try to do give gifts/ do dates throughout the year (which can be tough with young kids). As a spouse or boyfriend/girlfriend if you only do stuff for your special person on holidays (i.e. Christmas, B-days, anniversaries, etc) you gotta STEP YOUR GAME UP!! (Get to) know your special person, for example ladies if your guy is into watching sports get him a gift card to Buffalo Wild Wings or Dave and Busters. Guys if your lady is into being pampered get a package to a day spa, a couples massage, or even go pick out an outfit for her! (Check her clothes for her sizes and make sure you get a gift receipt just in case... Make reservation for one of her favorite restaurant so she can where here new outfit and plan the whole evening out). Do it just because you love that person!! Many times the little things (gesture) make a bigger impact than the big things (jewelry). One thing to keep in mind though is that gifts can never take the place of actually telling someone how much you love, appreciate, and admire them.

My Plug for healthy, prosperous, long lasting relationships! :-)

Curt

awww great advice! GUYS - please take note haha
  • WillPillageYourVillageForFood
    Options
    Well said! My husband and I have been married for 26 years and I couldn't care less about mass marketed "holidays". To me it's all the little things he does everyday that makes him so special. :heart:
  • tammyquinnlmt
    tammyquinnlmt Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    My husband and I feel the same way. We may exchange cards, and cook a special meal, but that is about it. The chaos of trying to eat out on Vday is enough to induce mental tics! Its nice to see that other couples feel the same way we do. People always want to know why I don't get upset for not getting something fabulous for vday, and I'm like everyday can be fabulous...why make a holiday to make it so! Great advice!
  • julie737
    julie737 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Well said! My husband and I have been married for 26 years and I couldn't care less about mass marketed "holidays". To me it's all the little things he does everyday that makes him so special. :heart:

My husband and I feel the same way! It's ridiculous! We've been married 15 years and still going strong.
  • Vicky14174
    Vicky14174 Posts: 715 Member
    Options
    Spoken like a real man!!! Your wife is a lucky woman as I'm sure you are a lucky man!!!!
  • thomasvision
    thomasvision Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    That is really true Curt! My wife and I hardly ever go out on V-day since we always make the effort to go out every week (with out the child). But theres nothing wrong for making a nice day out of love day.
  • RoadDog
    RoadDog Posts: 2,946 Member
    Options
    You may be making the assumption that just because someone honors the one they love on Valentine's Day, that it is instead of honoring them the other 364 days.

I love my wife year round.
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    365 days works for me.