Hourly rate for babysitter?

Options
2»

Replies

• whouwannab
    whouwannab Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    If you can find somebody for $5 an hour, grab that person (make sure they're responsible though!). My 17-year-old daughter usually gets at least $10 an hour for babysitting. She does really well with that gig.

Yeah, at $10/hr dinner and a movie is gonna be quite expensive. Wont be happening to often!lol
  • BigBoneSista
    BigBoneSista Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    I need to move where all of you are. In south eastern Virginia the going rate is $4 an hour when they come to your home. I charge $120 for my kids a week and thats on the high end. The childcare business here charge $160 to $200 a week and their drop in rate is $8 to $10 an hour.

When my son babysits he charges a flat rate of $20 for 4 hours. They have to provide their own meals, snacks & juices.
  • bigcurt61
    bigcurt61 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I normally pay $10 an hour for two kids and my babsitter has attended the red cross CPR course.
  • ahayter82
    Options
    Wow I need to ask for a raise. I watch a 2 year old about 40 hours a week and only make $3.50 an hour.
  • BigBoneSista
    Options
    Wow I need to ask for a raise. I watch a 2 year old about 40 hours a week and only make $3.50 an hour.

Ok!! If it wasn't so competitive here I could lol. My childcare is really nice so I charge more than the average person here which is $75 per week :noway: I would rather not even work if I had to value my services that cheaply.

This is my website: http://www.lullabieslaughterandlearning.com/
  • CalorieNinja
    CalorieNinja Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    I pay 10-12/hr depending how the kids acted - I feel bad if my children act like little devils lol
  • binaspencer7
    Options
    Wow to me that's alot I pay the sitter 30 bucks a nite plus I pay for her cell phone, we had a extra line and asked her if she wonted it. So she is the happiest teenager with unlimited text and calling and it only costs me 10 bucks amonth.
  • binaspencer7
    Options
    Oh and yes the kitchen is always fully stocked and all the channels and netflix :)
  • ahayter82
    Options

Ok!! If it wasn't so competitive here I could lol. My childcare is really nice so I charge more than the average person here which is $75 per week :noway: I would rather not even work if I had to value my services that cheaply.

Ok honestly that feels like a slight insult. If not intended that way then I'm sorry.

1. She is a family member.
    2. I have a 2 year old of my own so by working even for only 3.50 an hour its allowing me to stay home with my child.
    3. I have her 4 days at 10 hours and 1 day at 6 hours.
    4. I make around $150 a week.
  • LMPRF97
    Options
    I charge 3 hr or what ever the parent wants to pay
  • sandram82
    sandram82 Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    I dont use daycare because I dont trust people lol

Haha .. You sound just like me.. I have no trust leaving my only son with anyone unless its family!!
    But Yeah $10 per hour is the average rate.. especially if you have things for them planned to do or pizza, popcorn and movie.. good baby sitters are hard to find!!
  • BigBoneSista
    Options

Ok honestly that feels like a slight insult. If not intended that way then I'm sorry.

1. She is a family member.
    2. I have a 2 year old of my own so by working even for only 3.50 an hour its allowing me to stay home with my child.
    3. I have her 4 days at 10 hours and 1 day at 6 hours.
    4. I make around $150 a week.

I was agreeing that I needed a raise as well. If you saw my previous post I said I charge $4 an hour. I charge my full-time clients $120 a week and their kids are here with me for nearly 12 hours a day. I need you to do the math before you let your feelings get in the way. I said I couldn't charge $75 a week like some others do (speaking in my area) for the same amount of time and for the way my daycare is. You make more than I do for that child and you have your child for less time. So why are you offended?
  • Laceylala
    Laceylala Posts: 3,094 Member
    Options
    As a parent of a four year old I want to clarify something...in my mind anyways this is how it works...because I see people refering to childcare/daycare versus a night out or a day out.

There is a very big difference between paying a full time daycare provider for regular hours versus a night out or a day my child isn't in full time preschool.
    When she was in daycare, we paid $150 per week and meals were included.

When we have a day that we need extra care or an evening of childcare, we pay about $8-10 per hour. Those are "off times" that are somewhat unexpected and even if we did a walk in at a day care we'd pay WAY WAY more than the regular times at a day care center, . It just costs more.

Is it right that daycare providers make less than a babysitter at night? Hell no! But it is what it is. I hope this isn't offensive, because I am NOT meaning it to be!
  • BigBoneSista
    Options
    As a parent of a four year old I want to clarify something...in my mind anyways this is how it works...because I see people refering to childcare/daycare versus a night out or a day out.

There is a very big difference between paying a full time daycare provider for regular hours versus a night out or a day my child isn't in full time preschool.
    When she was in daycare, we paid $150 per week and meals were included.

When we have a day that we need extra care or an evening of childcare, we pay about $8-10 per hour. Those are "off times" that are somewhat unexpected and even if we did a walk in at a day care we'd pay WAY WAY more than the regular times at a day care center, . It just costs more.

Is it right that daycare providers make less than a babysitter at night? Hell no! But it is what it is. I hope this isn't offensive, because I am NOT meaning it to be!

Thats the way it should be, but in my area its not necessarily so because we are a military area. People are use to having regular night-time daycare hours so they will undercut the hourly amount. If you try to charge most people $8 to $10 for night time care they will move to the next person. Its sad. So I set a night-time rate. I charge $40 from 7 to 11pm. I rarely get any takers because you have people charging $25 on craigslist lol I have a set base so I'm good, but the undercutting is out of control.