BMI

sweetdosia
sweetdosia Posts: 28
edited September 24 in Health and Weight Loss
I just calculated what my BMI SHOULD be at my height. It said 104 -140lbs.
Ok, the 140, I can see. But my sister in law is 100lbs and shorter than me and she looks unhealthy. How accurate is this BMI in determining a healthy body weight?
My long term goal weight is 160lbs (not neccessarily my final goal weight) but I'm very curious to see what I look like at that weight.
Sometimes I look in the mirror and wonder "Is it possible for me to lose 40lbs and still be considered Overweight?"
I told my fiance that I need to lose AT LEAST 30lbs and he didn't believe me. He said "20lbs, tops"

Anyone dealing with this?

Replies

• I kinda agree with you, mine is 107 to 145. I would look gross at 107 and it would not be healthy, but I do believe I need to be in the 130-140 area.
  • Jude969
    Jude969 Posts: 2 Member
    My goal weight is supposed to be between - 8 stone something and 11 stone. I am 16 stone at the minute and know that I look fab at 12 stone - but as you say would still be considered over weight.

Once a very long time ago I did get down to 9 stone and everyone thought that I was anorexic!!! I think as long as you are happy with the way that you look and you can feel confortable in your own skin then that is the weight to be.. keep up the good work

:flowerforyou: Jude
  • ultimategar
    ultimategar Posts: 96 Member
    BMI is an average and doesn't take into account an individual's physical characteristics. For example the majority of professional rugby players would be classed as overweight/obese based on BMI.
  • Vipecap
    Vipecap Posts: 166 Member
    BMI is an average and doesn't take into account an individual's physical characteristics. For example the majority of professional rugby players would be classed as overweight/obese based on BMI.

Pretty much this. It is also an old standard developed by insurance companies for policies. Simply put, just about all NFL players are in the red according to BMI standards but outside of lineman, how many look unhealthy? If you are really worried about it, talk to your doctor or dietician and they can give you a better estimate on what would be a healthy weight for you.
  • gebnpb
    gebnpb Posts: 166
    Before I had kids I was at the low end of my BMI at about 110 pounds and I starved myself to get there. I just don't think its possible to get that low again doing it the healthy way. Maybe that low number is if ur an actress in hollywood!!lol I'll be happy when I can get to the high number of my BMI!!!!:bigsmile:
  • stophers
    stophers Posts: 2 Member
    Being overweight is acceptable in todays society. So when you look at the weight you should be (for the average person) it seems outrageous. My weight range for a healthy BMI was 140 to 174. I hit 174 and felt good. I kept losing and hit 165, which was my final goal and felt really good. My body has stabilized at 160 and I feel great. I would make the top end BMI weight your goal and once you get there see how you look and feel. Then go from there.
  • ukgirly01
    ukgirly01 Posts: 523 Member
    It all depends on the individual. I need to get to 176 to get a bmi of 25 my lowest range is 133lbs- my bones weigh this im sure. I have shoulders like a rugby player, Im really not a small framed girl I'll look very thin and 176 I'll be emaciated at 133. just get to a point where you feel good about yourself.
  • Elle408
    Elle408 Posts: 500 Member
    And from the other side... i'm going to have to go to the lower end of the scale to be happy with my shape. My top half has always been bony and skinny, my ribs have always been defined and i've always had killer collarbones even at my heaviest. I want to be more balanced and at 126, i'm still large on the bottom. I'm healthy, I don't look starved or ill and still have curves yet i'm going to have to be around 120 (bmi of 19.4) to give me a more balanced shape (plus majorly up the exercise!). I'm not starving to get myself there or doing anything drastic and I don't think it's an unrealistic goal.
    Different strokes for different folks as they say!
This discussion has been closed.