Heart Rate Monitor

Options
SO I really want an HRM but I don't have alot of money to spend. Walmart has one for about $30. Is it a waste of money? I do P90X and I take a Zumba class once a week. I would just like to have a general idea of how many calories I am burning.

Replies

• neelia
    neelia Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    I, too, and purchasing the Walmart HRM. The reviews say it is fairly accurate. =)
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    Just like everything, you get what you pay for. A decent HRM will cost between $50-75.
  • nukehiker
    Options
    i just bought a HRM from walmart yesterday i think it was around 38 $. I did 30 minutes on the elliptical this morning and my HRM recorded that i burned 440 cals. by comparison for the same amount it says i burned about 350 cals. which is on par with what the differnce would be from what i read.
  • CassieH818
    CassieH818 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    There should be alot of threads on here about HRM's..I would try to find a few. From the ones I've read the cheaper ones arent as accurate and they interfere with other HRM's within a certain vicinity.

I just bought the Polar FT4 and it's on its way to me but I have heard great things about Polar. Take a look around & you may be able to find a nice one cheap...ebay maybe :)
  • sweetsexy43
    sweetsexy43 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I just purchased an HRM and i paid $59 @ sports authority..its the DUO brand..counts calories
  • kinsellae
    kinsellae Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I bought the $27 hr monitor from walmart - sportsline s7. I'm not sure that it's accurate. I seem to record high numbers doing p90x....higher than most others I have seen. On average on the more cardio dvds I'm burning about 700 calories an hr. I'm thinking about returning it....
  • mrmarius
    mrmarius Posts: 1,802 Member
    Options
    I have the cheap one from walmart seems pretty accurate for me and I do p90x
  • VJ150
    VJ150 Posts: 453
    Options
    I too bought the sportline hrm from walmart for less than $30. In the beginning, I was excited about the number of calories burned. I started noticing inconsistencies with the calorie counting. Some days I would burn a large number of calories walking for an hour and on other days it would say I burned 10. I also realized that the watch will count calories burned even if it is not on my wrist. One day I didn't realize it was on and it had calculated a large number of calories burn - but it was laying on the dining room table!!

I'm looking for another HRM. I have heard great things about Polar.