Slacking on the weekends

Options
I usually don't count my calories as much on the weekends. I'm just wondering, has anyone else done this and still saw weight loss?

Replies

• netter43
    netter43 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I am guilty as charged!!! - BUT......I was slacking on the weekends (not counting my calories) and not necessarily having a huge gain, but having to work extra hard to loose the one pound + due to not drinking my water or necessarily working out as hard....this last weekend I did count my calories (still working on the weekend water intake) and did get in a couple of good workouts - tired of having to work twice as hard just to make the week's weigh-in a success so I want to see where I'm at come Friday without making up for the weekend slack....I know that is not an answer to your question, but weekends have been tough for me since I've been on MFP - it all equals what works best for you!! - Best of luck!!
  • jewelzz
    jewelzz Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    ya me to,but i still seem to be doing ok:bigsmile:
  • kelsid89
    Options
    I have lost 70 lbs and have ALWAYS cheated on the weekends! Youll be fine!! But just dont eat to eat. Eat when you're hungry.
  • noltes2
    noltes2 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I have been slacking on the weekends.... the scale has still moved down but I believe if I buckled down 7 days a week it would go down much faster!
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    I have lost 70 lbs and have ALWAYS cheated on the weekends! Youll be fine!! But just dont eat to eat. Eat when you're hungry.

Bad advice.
  • Barb1969
    Options
    I wouldn't say I slack on weekends, but they are less regimented than say a week day with work and all. But like one poster wrote, dont get into a habit with it. It might spill into the weekdays and then where will you be. On my days off I don't post as much because using my blackberry is tedious at best, but I still stick to the calories as best as I can. I'm waiting and hoping that soon this will be easier to record and be more user friendly with the blackberry. (I don't have internet connection at home yet.)
  • rose1617
    rose1617 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    Me and yes I've still seen a loss.
    My advice would be to "cheat" by eating what you want, but still try to stay in your calorie limit.
    For example, during the week I eat mostly clean. Very few simple carbs if any at all, lots of fruits and veggies, lots of lean meat, etc.
    During the weekend, I'll go out to eat and have a bowl of pasta or tacos, but I try to keep within my calorie limits and eat as close to clean as I can while still eating what I want.
    It works just fine. If you aren't planning on eating clean and healthy 7 days a week 24 hours a day for the rest of your life, it's difficult to expect to be able to do it now and then switch back later on. When you switch back, you'll still have problems with portions and self-control. Better to learn those habits now and make them last than try to learn them later on.
  • clewliss
    clewliss Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    Yes! If there is a specific craving I have through the week, I wait until the weekend to enjoy it, but only for a meal. I don't go crazy for the whole weekend. I haven't deprived myself of anything and I have continually lost 1.5 lbs each week. If it works for you then do it, if not then don't!
  • sdgirl22
    sdgirl22 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    It really depends on how much you're eating on those cheat days... back to the calories in vs. calories out formula.

For example: You want to cut 3500 a week. If you cut 500 calories Monday through Friday, you're at 2500. Then on Saturday you relax and eat your baseline calories, so you've cut 0. Still at 2500 calories, instead of 3000. Then on Sunday you over eat, or go over your baseline to maintain your weight, by 500. For that week, you've only cut 2000, instead of 3500. That means, by the numbers, you would have lost .57lb instead of 1lb. If you do this every week for two months, you've lost 4.5lbs instead of what you aspired to lose, 8lbs.

I agree with concept of cheat days, but if you don't factor it into your weekly total, it can slow down your weight loss and hurt your motivation :(

(btw, I'm verbose on this subject because cutting out my cheat weekends was how I got over the plateau that I was irritating stuck at for two months).
  • SWgal
    SWgal Posts: 62
    Options
    Thanks for this. It was helpful to see the "numbers"!
  • Fertilegrounds5
    Options
    I don't think it is ok to do it on purpose. This supposed to be a full commitment. "Live on Purpose withOUT Excuses". Just my opinion. Well stated SDgirl!
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    I have a really hard time on weekends...I'm try my best to squeek a work out in because I know I don't eat well...Most of my problem is I love to sleep in on weekends, so I've already missed two meals. By then I'm starving and I'll eat what ever I can find instead of appropriate calories and such. I also have bad case of the munchies. I usually wait until the weekend to munch which is much better than munching the whole week, but I love chips...LOVE THEM! I'm really learning portion control and appropriate food to eat when on the run....it's definitely a process, and I fall off the wagon, but I'm trying.