Importance of the "proper" running shoe

Options
gp79
gp79 Posts: 1,799 Member
Bottom line up front...If you're running to lose weight, and have never been properly fit for a running shoe, you're cheating yourself out of a better running experience.

I joined the Army in 1998 and as you can imagine, running is part of the sub-culture. Needless to say it's been a part of my life for the better part of 13 years. Since my feet stopped growing sometime in highschool, I've always been a size 13, or so I thought.

Spring 2006, I randomly stopped in to Runners Hi in Aiea, Hawaii looking for a new pair of running shoes. The first pro to going to a specialty store for runners was the staff, who in almost all cases are active runners who have a good fundamental knowledge of the different shoes on the market and how they benefit each individual runner because lets face it, every runner has different needs.

Before being measured, I was asked to take a brief jog on the treadmill at my normal running pace. After a 30 second jog, I was shown and had explained my gait and pronation in slow motion. (It had been recorded) I was then asked to step on a device that determined the types of arches I had as well as where the pressure points were in my feet. Finally I was measured for the proper shoe size and the store rep disappeared for a moment to bring me a pair of shoes based off of my running style / arches and presumably my larger than average body size.

I was brought a pair of Brooks Beast, size 15 EE. I was almost in disbelief when he pulled them out of the box and told me the size. But...but my shoe size is only 13? Simply put...

"You don't know what you don't know"

Over the next week I did a series of 2 to 5 mile runs and what an amazing difference I'd experienced. Since then, I only visit these running specialty stores to buy my running shoes. Each time I go through the same process and allow them to recommend a shoe. Over the years I've come to know what to expect and enjoy the entire process. My running is more efficient, I get a better workout and my feet, ankles, and knees will be thanking me every time I hit the pavement.

If you've never been properly fit for a running shoe, give it a try.

Replies

• rockabyesarojane
    Options
    yup! same thing for me!
    i was wearing my regular street shoe size to do my running and my feet kept going numb. then i got fitted and i was up a whole shoe size and it's SO MUCH BETTER!
  • AggieCass09
    AggieCass09 Posts: 1,867 Member
    Options
    Amen. This is my #1 tip for new runner (or any runners who haven't for that matter). The importance of properly fitting running shoes cannot be underestimated!

I <3 my Mizuno Wave Creation 12's (i have 3 pairs that I rotate through...yep I'm the person who has more running shoes (9) than high heels (3) )
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    I should have a pair of size 16 Mizuno Wave Rider 13's in the mail sometime this week. Can't wait. Some of my ankle soreness I know is from my Asics breaking down.
  • gp79
    Options
    Aggie, Do you find having multiple pairs of running shoes to be a huge benefit? I'm usually running no more than 10 miles per week. I understand they need time to decompress but my runs aren't usually anything over 4 miles.
  • backinthenines
    backinthenines Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    I was brought a pair of Brooks Beast, size 15 EE.

Good God you must pronate massively!!!
  • imagineaballoon
    Options
    What about the beginning runner who either has no specialty running stores in their area and/or is on a pretty strict budget? This is the situation I find myself in, and to be honest, even though I am 100% sure you didn't mean for it to be, I find posts like this really discouraging -- like I'm failing at this before I even really get started. I used to think running meant putting on your shoes and just going, but the more I read, the more I feel like a complete impostor. :(
  • imagineaballoon
    Options
    I feel like it might look like I'm whining there. I'm not. I'm also not calling you out on what is a very helpful post. I just mean, is it every enough to just want to run, and to do it in at least a halfway decent shoe? My budget for shoes this week was around $50 -- I had to get new ones because my old ones have very poor support and are more for wearing around than running -- so I did some research and ended up purchasing a pair of Asics that were on sale for $48. They had five stars on zappos.com and 68 reviews, of which I read every one. Many people mentioned casual running (which is what I would classify myself as doing since I'm on the C25K program) as being very comfortable in these shoes and that they provide great support.

If I meet my weight goal in July, I am saving up for a new pair of properly fitted, price-be-damned running shoes. Until then, this is what I have to work with. :)
  • AggieCass09
    Options
    Aggie, Do you find having multiple pairs of running shoes to be a huge benefit? I'm usually running no more than 10 miles per week. I understand they need time to decompress but my runs aren't usually anything over 4 miles.

I run 20-30 miles a week and usually do a 9-13 mile long run each week so for these runs I do rotate my shoes and it definitely extends the life of them. I'm not sure what "the" mileage is for you to start rotating but if you shoes start to feel less squishy and haven't reached the expire mileage (400-500 miles) than rotating may be a good solution. I think I just have a shoe obsession :-)
  • AggieCass09
    Options
    I feel like it might look like I'm whining there. I'm not. I'm also not calling you out on what is a very helpful post. I just mean, is it every enough to just want to run, and to do it in at least a halfway decent shoe? My budget for shoes this week was around $50 -- I had to get new ones because my old ones have very poor support and are more for wearing around than running -- so I did some research and ended up purchasing a pair of Asics that were on sale for $48. They had five stars on zappos.com and 68 reviews, of which I read every one. Many people mentioned casual running (which is what I would classify myself as doing since I'm on the C25K program) as being very comfortable in these shoes and that they provide great support.

If I meet my weight goal in July, I am saving up for a new pair of properly fitted, price-be-damned running shoes. Until then, this is what I have to work with. :)

For someone who is just starting getting fitted is a must to avoid injury (these shin splints may new runners speak of on here). Getting fitted doesn't mean it has to be expensive...tell the store you have a $50 budget, they'll work with you. I would NEVER buy shoes online with out first trying them on in store so make sure that your first run in them is absolutely PAINLESS. Don't be discouraged or feel like an "impostor" everyone starts at some point. It IS about just getting out to run but you must avoid injury above all! Good luck!
  • gp79
    Options
    imagine, I don't think that to be a good runner you HAVE to go to a specialty running store, and I do not account my weight loss to having a properly fit pair of running shoes. The weight loss itself is a rather simple math equation but the difficulty comes within applying the equation to your life. Look at the shoes like a spandex body suit, it would be nice to run in a spandex body suit if you had no inhibitions about your body. That little extra freedom of movement, little better aerodynamics etc might contribute to your running experience in the same ways shoes could but it's not going to prevent you from getting a good run in.

Save your pennies and plan for a future purchase. The Beast shoes I'd bought were $115 (way more than I wanted to spend) but the last pair I bought 6 months ago were $80 (much more in my price range) but I hate to sacrifice quality over a few bucks. I'm the type that would rather wait an extra few weeks to get what I really want.

Just think positive and keep on keepin' on!
  • imagineaballoon
    Options
    Thanks, both of you! I hope I didn't come across in a nasty way, it's just something I've been feeling and probably has more to do with my own issues than the words you have actually typed. :)

I google-fu'd and managed to find a real, live running store about 45 minutes away. As soon as I can get out there, I will, and be properly fitted for a running shoe. I guess if all else fails, the ones I ordered online can be my everyday pair of shoes (assuming they're comfortable, and if they're not, I'll send them right back) once I save up enough for a really good pair.

Thanks again for your encouragement and expertise! Sometimes I just feel like such a noob at this running thing and it makes me feel like quitting -- but I'm not.
  • Beth720
    Beth720 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    Thanks, both of you! I hope I didn't come across in a nasty way, it's just something I've been feeling and probably has more to do with my own issues than the words you have actually typed. :)

I google-fu'd and managed to find a real, live running store about 45 minutes away. As soon as I can get out there, I will, and be properly fitted for a running shoe. I guess if all else fails, the ones I ordered online can be my everyday pair of shoes (assuming they're comfortable, and if they're not, I'll send them right back) once I save up enough for a really good pair.

Thanks again for your encouragement and expertise! Sometimes I just feel like such a noob at this running thing and it makes me feel like quitting -- but I'm not.

Yeah, I understand. What I did when I was getting new shoes was I figured an average price - I was able to find a good selection for around $100 - and then took half from one paycheck and half from another (the second one giving myself a little more in the account just in case I went over $100). I had to wait a little longer, but it was worth it.

Now I'm setting my "running savings" which means I take some from each paycheck and put it in that account, regardless of if I'm saving for anything in particular. That way I know it's there if I need something. It can also be used for "running travel" when I'm flying somewhere for a half or full marathon. :D
  • backinthenines
    Options

You can easily get properly fitted running shoes on your budget, they simply might be last years model that's all.
  • backinthenines
    Options
    The Beast shoes I'd bought were $115 (way more than I wanted to spend) but the last pair I bought 6 months ago were $80 (much more in my price range) but I hate to sacrifice quality over a few bucks.

If your mechanical needs justified that much motion control then you were well advised to invest the money. Beasts have their name for a reason. I don't believe there is a more stable shoe on the market, usually only advised for heavy runners with excessive pronation. Anyone requiring that much support should really be feeling safe that they run in the best shoe possible for them.
    90066 Posts: 24
    Options
    Learn about barefoot running. Google it. What they say about it being superior to running in padded running shoes has been true in my experience. It is a different style of running but if you're willing to learn it it makes life so much better.
  • shardown
    shardown Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    So true! I got my feet measured and the works at The Athlete's Foot. I always thought I was a size 9 but turns out I am a 10 (huge feet :( story of my life) and they recommended a pair of Asics cross trainers because I work out at the gym and play badminton. My shin splits went away and my feet stopped feeling sore after gym sessions. Once I'm done with my C25K, I plan on getting a good pair of running shoes from them as well to use outdoors.

Never underestimate a pair of good shoes. My shoes and my Polar HRM are my favourite investments :)