Off the topic..kinda...online dating?

Options
auntkaren
auntkaren Posts: 1,490 Member
I have been seriously thinking of going on a online dating for people just in this area. I've been divorced 11 years now. I have seen where some of you ladies had met your husbands that way. I am way new at this and nervous about it. Tell me good advice and how you went about meeting the right guy for you please? I think it's wonderful about Manda and Sgt...wish them all the happiness in the world. :flowerforyou:

Replies

• auntkaren
    Options
    I have been seriously thinking of going on a online dating for people just in this area. I've been divorced 11 years now. I have seen where some of you ladies had met your husbands that way. I am way new at this and nervous about it. Tell me good advice and how you went about meeting the right guy for you please? I think it's wonderful about Manda and Sgt...wish them all the happiness in the world. :flowerforyou:
  • Gorgeous
    Gorgeous Posts: 248
    Options

To be honest...i dont like the idea of online dating
    i think you should meet someone in real life
    never know what your meeting online...eh goes the same for real life too...
    but im KINDA tradiitonal! *shrug*
    but i dont judge ppl who do it
    i just would NEVER EVER IN A ZILLION years do it!
    my best friend in the whole world married her online bf and they are crazy in love
    but still something id NEVER do...and id never let my kids do it...but then to each his own..

if you do it...i hope you find someone amazing :)
    and if you dont...i hope you find someone amazing too :)
  • aaubrey
    aaubrey Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I disagree with gorgeous. I think you can meet a crappy person in person too. I think it is just another way to facilitate meeting. I have never done it, but I have been lucky to love the same guy since I was 13. But, my mom met her husband, my bestfriend met hers that way too and they are both very happy. But, I would just KNOW what you are looking for and stick with it. And, like with any dating situation if you see a red flag in the beginning you should probably listen to it (like if he seems to get real angry real quick). The other thing my mom told me was to look for guys that dont still have young kids. That is never fun to deal with the every other weekend and the ex...hope that helps some and go for it, you never know what you will find till you try.
  • sgtinvincible
    sgtinvincible Posts: 2,559
    Options
    Aunt Karen, I never, ever, ever, ever, ever,ever,ever,ever,ever,ever,ever (etc) would have thought I could find someone so perfect for me, especially on the internet. Give it a try and see what develops. You never know....*shrug*
  • upnorth
    upnorth Posts: 5
    Options
    auntkaren---go for it!
    4 yrs ago my friend said to me, "what the hell...try it! it will at least make for great stories!"
    now 4 yrs later after my first online relationship i am engaged to that first online match....the most wonderful man....who truly is my soul mate, best friend, and bestest laugh partner i've ever had!
    i would recommend sites such as eharmony or sites with common interests...we met via a faith site (catholicmatch.com)......again GO FOR IT!!!! you only have one life to live...so live it up...you'll never know what can happen....
  • auntkaren
    Options

To be honest...i dont like the idea of online dating
    i think you should meet someone in real life
    never know what your meeting online...eh goes the same for real life too...
    but im KINDA tradiitonal! *shrug*
    but i dont judge ppl who do it
    i just would NEVER EVER IN A ZILLION years do it!
    my best friend in the whole world married her online bf and they are crazy in love

I moved to this little town a week after my divorce, and the pickings are not very good. They are mostly drugs or alcaholics , or down right lazy. Not good at all......Close to this area may be different, I hope,
    but still something id NEVER do...and id never let my kids do it...but then to each his own..

if you do it...i hope you find someone amazing :)
    and if you dont...i hope you find someone amazing too :)
  • auntkaren
    Options
    I disagree with gorgeous. I think you can meet a crappy person in person too. I think it is just another way to facilitate meeting. I have never done it, but I have been lucky to love the same guy since I was 13. But, my mom met her husband, my bestfriend met hers that way too and they are both very happy. But, I would just KNOW what you are looking for and stick with it. And, like with any dating situation if you see a red flag in the beginning you should probably listen to it (like if he seems to get real angry real quick). The other thing my mom told me was to look for guys that dont still have young kids. That is never fun to deal with the every other weekend and the ex...hope that helps some and go for it, you never know what you will find till you try.
    Thanks.....I will definitely keep those things in mind.
  • Healthier_Me
    Healthier_Me Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    I say go for it honey!
    Jeremy & Manda are a perfect example.
  • auntkaren
    Options
    Aunt Karen, I never, ever, ever, ever, ever,ever,ever,ever,ever,ever,ever (etc) would have thought I could find someone so perfect for me, especially on the internet. Give it a try and see what develops. You never know....*shrug*

I am so happy for you and Manda, it has been exciting to watch this all take place for you two. All my prayers and best wishes for yous.:heart:
  • TamTastic
    TamTastic Posts: 19,224 Member
    Options
    I met my husband online, his mom met her husband online and his dad met his wife online. SOOOO! Yanno! hahahaha!

I just tried it out when a friend of mine (who was 42 and a single mother at the time), was doing it and asked me to do it with her. I figured it wouldn't hurt. I mean, I wasn't having it be the be-all-end-all of dating! I would still go out with friends and do my thing and maybe get a few interesting dates out of it....and I did have some fun ones!! LOL!

But yes, I then met my husband. It is kind of a nice progression. You start with emails, then move to phone and by the time you actually meet in person, you feel like you know them.
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    I met my fiance online... it was kind of by accident though, I didn't go on a dating service or anything. We met on a campus website/ message board for our university, and because we went to the same school we actually met in person the very next day. I think it is really easy to meet a creep online, but I also think its really easy to meet a creep in the real world too. If you're interested in looking online I would go for it but don't tune out the rest of the world either. Get out there and meet people wherever you can because you never know what you'll stumble onto :wink: :flowerforyou:
  • artschoolgirl
    artschoolgirl Posts: 598 Member
    Options
    Do it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I would have never met my amazing boyfriend, someone who I have so much in common with, if I didn't. Online dating gave me tons of confidence. After I started doing online dating and getting so much great response from guys, it gave me the confidence to also meet guys in a more traditional way as well. I think it was a great thing for me after losing so much weight.
    Best of luck! :heart:
  • astridfeline
    astridfeline Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    Definitely try it!! As noted above, it's one way of "facilitating" meeting new prospects. And people you meet in the "real" world can be just as jerky and possibly dangerous as those met on the net. I have found that "older" people (I'm 40) just don't socialize like younger people who may be in college or whatever. And my experience is, the pickings are slimmer as time goes by.

So try it!!:wink:
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    Honestly, any chance to meet people, online or off, is fine by me. I love meeting people in general, and online gives me a great place to do that.

Plus, it gives me a place to run hundreds and hundreds of pick up lines on 'disposable' girls to see what works and what doesn't, so I have more confidence with people face to face (I'm not mean, I'm honest!!!! Obviously no one is disposable, but theres a lot less approach anxiety with someone who exists to you solely as some words and a picture).
  • auntkaren
    Options
    Definitely try it!! As noted above, it's one way of "facilitating" meeting new prospects. And people you meet in the "real" world can be just as jerky and possibly dangerous as those met on the net. I have found that "older" people (I'm 40) just don't socialize like younger people who may be in college or whatever. And my experience is, the pickings are slimmer as time goes by.

So try it!!:wink:
    You are so correct, I just am not that old to go to the 18-80s club < I went there once and they are mostly my dad's age. :happy: I have always been the shy, alone type and not out going, and don't want some drunk in a bar. I kind of hate the idea of dating scene, seems like it should just happen.:heart:
  • wanderinglight
    wanderinglight Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    Aunt Karen...I say go for it! If anything, it puts the word out to the universe that you are looking and interested. I went out on a bunch of dates from match.com and ended up meeting more guys in the "real world" in natural settings, and I think it's because I was projecting a "ready to date" kinda vibe.

The dates that I had through online dating were mostly very nice and interesting guys and at the very least I got to get out of my comfort zone and meet some people I would have NEVER met otherwise.

The key is just to HAVE FUN with it! And don't worry too much about what you will look like or seem like to the other person -- it's just two people getting together to chat. No different than striking up a conversation at the grocery store checkout line...

Have fun and report back! I have good feelings about you getting back out there!
  • Katy009
    Katy009 Posts: 579 Member
    Options

Hi Aunt Karen,

DO IT! I met my husband online. Not a dating service or anything.....we just ended up chatting and everything went from there. And I think you can venture outside of your area......there are lots of interesting people out there to meet! Just be sure to keep someone close to you informed of everything that's going on.....just to be on the safe side. :wink: Good luck!

Katy
  • chilli
    chilli Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Go for it ......it can be tremendous fun:happy: I had a whale of a time on a dating site when my husband left me, gave me such an ego boost to know that I WASN'T past it and could still attract the fellas! (Gave it up after a year though...costs etc,:grumble: was a "luxury" couldn't really afford) I wish you all the best whatever happens:flowerforyou:
  • shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
    Options
    All I can contribute is to say that my niece met her husband online, and they've been married now for about 10 years and are happy as ever. They met on some social website.

Also, my friend met his wife online via Yahoo personals. They just got married about 1 month ago.

If it works, it works.

Just be careful--but I think that goes for meeting online or in person.
  • kimber607
    kimber607 Posts: 7,128 Member
    Options
    Hi

I say go for it, life it too short...just take it slowly and be cautious
    GOOD LUCK!

Kim