Losses have slowed

Options
Well I started at just under 300 and I am 203 In the last 15 lbs Things have slowed down alot. I have roughly 30lbs that I would still like to get off and my BMI shows Im still Obese 2 lbs from Overweight!

Should my losses have slowed down already. I know they would slow but I figured it would be the last 10-15 lbs not 30-40. This Brutal.

I was losing minimum 3-6 a week up until I hit 225 Now Im lucky to hit 3 lbs and most of the time Im 1-2. Please doont take this the wrong way. Im please im still losing and I know 1-2 lbs is a great and healthy weekly loss. Its just such a change from what I was losinig that its difficult to accept. Men lose weight relatively easily and I was able to just shed weight now it sems to really be work to lose what I am losing. I do think Im building some muscle right now so that could be some of it.

A few months ago I think my body felt like it was starving I re-evaluated my intake and found that with exercise I was only getting 500-1000 cals a day so I adjust a few things. I upped my cals a bit and started losing again but it was slow. Im actually eating 200 cals more than MFP would have me eat.

I'm just surprised its slowed down this far out. Can anyone who has almost reached goal tell about their experience with slowed losses? When did it start how much did it slow.

Any insight would be great.

Happy VD!

Replies

• erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Good job so fat, great progress. What I can tell you is that the close you get to your goal the smaller your caloric deficit should be. And after looking at your diary it appears that you are not eating enough. Try to be within 50 under or over your MFP goal. If you are set up to lose 2 lbs you have to eat all of the calories and your exercise calories as well. Now that you don't have as much body fat this becomes much more important as, if your daily caloric deficit is too large you will end up burning more muscle than fat. Keep up the good work and just try to get a few more cals in each day.

If you have been doing the same workouts for a while you may also want to change up what you are doing for exercise. It is suggested that you change your routine every 4-6 weeks
  • driscollmc
    Options
    I didn't want to lose as much weight as you, but weight loss has slowed a bit and I'm halfway (down 20lbs). Then I decided to go for a run one day, after months of doing ellipticals and bikes. Got on the scale the next day, and I dropped a pound. Long story short, switch up your workout regimen. Find a dance/zumba class to go to, go for a run, or do something you haven't done yet. That should work!!

Also, I just looked at your diary, and you really need to watch your sugar intake, that can really mess you up. You could also be holding a lot of water from going over on sodium.
  • jimmydeanbakker
    Options
    They could have slowed, but that's not a big deal. With each pound of weight that you lose at this point, will probably look dramatic to the people around you. You might wanna play with the numbers, and see if you need to adjust your calorie intake; but with each pound of weight that you lose, it's gonna be more real weight than a bunch of water.
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    Yea that's pretty normal. I had 40 to lose to start with, and it came off about 1.5 at a time until recently- now its .5- 1 lb at a time.

Now that you are really close to a more normal range you really should try to adjust your mind set to 1 lb per week. Eventually it may slow even further (I'm not real sure about the difference between men and women in that area) but 3 lbs a week in the Overweight category is just too much for your body to handle healthily.

I know that's proly not what you wanted to hear, but stick with it! It will come off!
  • Panda86
    Panda86 Posts: 873
    Options
    I had the same thing happen when I got about 5 lbs from my goal. I mostly do workout videos. I switched to a more high-intensity one and started losing a bit faster. I think reevaluating and switching up your eating and switching up workouts helps. Also, I have found that if I am hanging on to a food that is less than good for me (soda, chips, icecream), even in moderation, if I cut it out or really cut it way down, that helps get the scale moving, too. Hope that helps, and good job this far! AND I like your scripture :) That's one of my favorites!
  • FrenchMob
    FrenchMob Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    That's perfectly normal. The fact that you're still losing 1-2/week is very good.
  • amehrkens
    amehrkens Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I agree with the others! I am down 114lbs and still want to lose another 20 or so. I started at 320lbs. I was down to 206 and then I let myself go and I gained about 40 back over 6 months, I got back on track on Jan 1 and I have taken off aboput 30, I notice once I get to about 210 it gets really hard to take the weight off. I have had to change up my workout routine and also my eating habits. I think my body gets immune to what I am doing and therefore does not react, so I have been trying to keep it guessing on what I am going to do next in hopes that I won't stall out this time around.
  • MassiveDelta
    MassiveDelta Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    Ya I know I struggle with sodium but I do pretty decent most of the time. Sodium by far hurts me the worst. Sugar doesn't seem to slow me down as much though. I can eat sugar all day long with seemingly now side effects. Meaning it doesn't seem to change weigh losses. I'm assuming my body is able to handle sugar better then some people.

I'm sure last nights meal entry was in accurate I probably took in more cals than that but it was a difficult meal to enter. I'm hoping to get more accurate readings on my HRM as the spring allows me to be more active outdoor. I'm always scared to eat back my exercise cals especially the ones that MFP suggests. I sometimes find it difficult to believe I exercised a 2 or 3 meals off in an hour of cycling! Even though its probably relatively accurate.

I know I need to be more proactive in planning. I plan on burning 600 calories on in the evening I need to add 200 cals to each meal rather then trying to cram them all in in my evening meal. Which is where I fail!