Yet another 30 day Shred Question

jaycee76
jaycee76 Posts: 325 Member
edited September 24 in Fitness and Exercise
Hi

I have done this DVD for the last 2 weeks (I am a couple of days in, on level 2) and I have to say I dont find it very heart raising. I have seen the results that people get from it but are they doing other exercise too?

I guess 25 minutes a day seems such a small amount for such big results. I put in alot of effort but my hrm is only saying I am burning around 149 calories.

I am only asking for your personal experience and I am not saying it is not a good work out. I guess I am just scared to rely on it as the only method of working out iygwim!

Thanks

Replies

• Hi ,

I agree, I don't find it to be the best for cardio either. It has been great for toning, however once complete ( I have 8 days left of level 3) I will do a hybrid of 30 day shred and other cardio dvds I have.
  • girl_brett
    girl_brett Posts: 166 Member
    I know every person is different and I think the heavier you are the more calories you burn, but my HRM (I have one with a chest strap) say that I burn 313 calories for level one! Hopefully this helps!
  • ProTFitness
    ProTFitness Posts: 1,379 Member
    Hi

I have done this DVD for the last 2 weeks (I am a couple of days in, on level 2) and I have to say I dont find it very heart raising. I have seen the results that people get from it but are they doing other exercise too?

I guess 25 minutes a day seems such a small amount for such big results. I put in alot of effort but my hrm is only saying I am burning around 149 calories.

I am only asking for your personal experience and I am not saying it is not a good work out. I guess I am just scared to rely on it as the only method of working out iygwim!

Thanks

Double the workout Do level 2, 2 times thru. repeat all but only do 1 warm up and cool down
  • justann
    justann Posts: 276 Member
    While I enjoy doing The Shred I definately do other workouts or run on the same days. It just doesn't seem enough otherwise.
  • If you're looking for cardio, not the best.......but I do love this workout! Not a massive calorie burn, but I have more upper body strength now than any other time in my life. It is fantastic for losing inches and toning, and I can see the beginnings of abs.....again a first for me. LOVE this dvd!
  • jamie78
    jamie78 Posts: 514 Member
    I kinda think the same thing. My heart rate doesnt get very high either. But I dont think it really stays that high when you are doing situps and the low weight training. I personally think level one is harder, and that is what my daughter says too. What I have been doing is both level one and 2 together or doing another workout with it. like Brazilian butt lift or p90x cardio or just going for a fast walk. I have been doing the 30 day shred for about 2 weeks now too and I have gained 2 pounds! BUT I have lost 1 inch off my waist and 3/4 off my hips so I hope that helps.
  • Flacachica
    Flacachica Posts: 328 Member
    It's actually just right for me right now... I'm on level 2. Until I lose more weight and get more fit, I'll try something else, or just do one or all three levels in one work out! Right now I combine it with Yoga or Pilates. I don't have an HRM, but I can tell I'm pretty winded and my heart is beating fast so I'm really working. Again, once I get a little better at it, I'll get an HRM and figure out from there.

You have to do what's best for you.
  • atomdraco
    atomdraco Posts: 1,083 Member
    I have different type of DVDs and prefer using different to avoid my body get used to it, and avoid me getting bored. I also have a treadmill and access to a gym. My DVD workout only used when I didn't have time to go to gym, and didn't want to do a boring run.

From my personal experience with JM's shred, the 1st time I burned over 200+, and 2nd time I was below. It has to do with your age+weight as well, so I don't burn nearly that much since I'm on the lighter side.

I do think a 25 min workout is too little. It'll will slim you down when you work it with your diet as well. But I want to be more fit, so 25 min is not enough to me. In case like this, only 25 min workout, I will pull out another DVD to double up my workout.
  • Props to you, you must be in pretty good shape if Jillians not kicking your butt!!

I am sure it probably depends on your fitness level. I am not in very good shape and have quite a bit of weight to lose and I am drenched in sweat when I am done and my heartrate seems pretty high. I dont have a heartrate monitor and I dont want to stop long enough to take it so I am not sure if I am in my target zone or not. I have been doing the 30DS 5 days a week and have not seen much weight loss but I can tell you I feel much stronger and my indurance has improved quite a bit but I have also been spending some time on my elliptical. I see a lot of people having sucess with P90X and Power90. I think that they are more intense so you may be happier with that type of a workout?
  • i dont just do 30 day shred, i also do some other form of workout, zumba, i have a dancemat game i would spend 1 hour on that, i also do strength training too. and i walk my son to school and back most days. i dont do all this in 1 day, somedays i would but i usually alternate the only thing that i do everyday is 30 day shred.
  • jaycee76
    jaycee76 Posts: 325 Member
    Props to you, you must be in pretty good shape if Jillians not kicking your butt!!

I am sure it probably depends on your fitness level. I am not in very good shape and have quite a bit of weight to lose and I am drenched in sweat when I am done and my heartrate seems pretty high. I dont have a heartrate monitor and I dont want to stop long enough to take it so I am not sure if I am in my target zone or not. I have been doing the 30DS 5 days a week and have not seen much weight loss but I can tell you I feel much stronger and my indurance has improved quite a bit but I have also been spending some time on my elliptical. I see a lot of people having sucess with P90X and Power90. I think that they are more intense so you may be happier with that type of a workout?
    I am not overly fit. I do enjoy the strength of the shred and I am def feeling stronger in my upper body, but I just wondered if those who had seen great results, just did the 30DS and no other exercise. When you are used to doing 60 plus minutes of cardio it makes the shred seem kind of not as good a heart rate raiser - it is maybe just because I am more used to being out of breath after a workout. I am not saying it is not good just wondered if its enough x
This discussion has been closed.