Follow up to crunchy knees question

jaycee76
jaycee76 Posts: 325 Member
edited September 24 in Fitness and Exercise
I posted earlier about having crunchy noises in my knees when working out. I do not get pain with this - normally. But I have done some serious cardio today and now feel like I have pulled muscles behind my knee caps (only way I can explain).

Do you think I would benefit from knee supports when doing hard cardio?

I am going to try a supplement but I wonder if the extra support would help?

Any comments?

Thanks

Replies

• AggieCass09
    AggieCass09 Posts: 1,867 Member
    I take fish oil for my crunchy knees (which I have self-diagnosed as runner's knee). They have helped to lessen the crunching. Mine don't hurt either but it is a gross party trick to have. Let me know if you find anything that actually "cures" it!
  • luv2ash
    luv2ash Posts: 1,903 Member
    I was always told to strengthen my quads and hamstrings in order to keep knee pain down--which is exactly what I have been doing, I have been doing quats and lunges and has really helped, along with the weight loss, of course.

A support certainly wont hurt anything--its worth a try.
  • jaycee76
    jaycee76 Posts: 325 Member
    I was always told to strengthen my quads and hamstrings in order to keep knee pain down--which is exactly what I have been doing, I have been doing quats and lunges and has really helped, along with the weight loss, of course.

A support certainly wont hurt anything--its worth a try.

During some of my aerobic workouts I think I am twisting my knees in the direction I am going and I think its this that is causing the after pain now. I also struggle now with lunges (although I do do them) because I am thinking about my knees!
  • might4
    might4 Posts: 99 Member
    I have crunchy knees as well. I avoid lunges and anything that over does it. They don't normally hurt (but I also use them as a gross party trick!) A physcial therapist heard it (while getting therapy for plantar faciatits) and said that it is a sign of wearing cartilage. She eventually the cartilige would be gone and I would have bone on bone grinding...which will hurt. I figure the quicker I can lose the weight...the more mileage I have on that cartlidge!
  • skinnylizzard
    skinnylizzard Posts: 460 Member
    I have always had problems with my knees. I find it helpful to do seated leg extensions...you know the one that you sit and the pads are in front of your ankles and there is a weight stack. I can't do lunges or squats as I find they agitate my knees.
This discussion has been closed.