Information please. . . .

Options
I hate to sound so stupid, but what is an HRM? And, what is a "shred." Also, it seems like the calories burned for the exercise I am doing is too high. Any thoughts?

Replies

• hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    HRM is Heart Rate Monitor. A lot of people use them to get an accurate count of calories burned. They are wonderful as long as they come with a chest strap.

My guess on 'shred' is Jillian Michaels' DVD 30-Day Shred. The calories burned here are kind of high I think but I'm not sure
  • jammyone
    Options
    HRM - Heart rate monitor

I really wouldn't bother with them at all - they're pointless. Unless there is a specific reason to have one, you're much better off spending the money and time on getting good food into you.

- Jammy
  • kappyblu
    kappyblu Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    I disagree with the others about the HRM. I use one, but it doesn't need a chest strap. I just have to let it take my heart rate every few minutes (takes 5 seconds and don't have to stop moving) and I don't have to bother with a strap wrapped around me. If you are concerned about the actually calories you are burning, you might want to look into getting one. You don't have to spend a ton of money either. Mine is a New Balance. $45 on Amazon.com. I think they sell them at Target, too.
  • luv2ash
    luv2ash Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    I, too, disagree, I think a HRM is incredibly valuable. I use mine every day for my workouts and it has taught me not to rely on these numbers here on MFP as they are very overinflated. Mine also has a chest strap, which I do feel is more accurate (in my opinion). I was worried about wearing it, but I seriously don't feel it, its not uncomfortable, and blends right in with your sports bra feeling. It also told me instantly that I don't have to work as hard as I thought I had to to stay in my zone--no sense passing out for nothing.
  • jammyone
    Options
    I'm sorry but I just think HRM are a waste of time and money, unless you have heart problems and need it for well being, I see no point. If you're eating healthy and you're fairly active you will gain health and you will grow leaner.
  • HMKan
    HMKan Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    I also disagree about the HRM. I find that if I'm going to count every calorie I eat, I want credit for every exercise calorie I burn. I can do that with a HRM. I haven't looked into those that don't come with a chest strap, but I bought one that does and I can't feel it. I've even forgotten to take it off because I forgot it was there.

Shred is in fact Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred. It's a workout DVD (about $9 at Target) which promises to lose UP TO 20 lbs in 30 days. it's really intense and a good workout, and it's only 20 minutes long, which is wonderful.

Neither are absolutely necessary to losing weight. A casual "dieter" will lose as long as you burn more than you eat. But if you want to get down into the nitty gritty of losing weight, then I'd definitely invest in a good HRM (my experience says Timex isn't good for calorie counting and Polar is great, but there are cheaper options which I'm sure are very good). Shred isn't necessary, but it's a nice challenge if you want to take it.
  • MericoX
    MericoX Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry but I just think HRM are a waste of time and money, unless you have heart problems and need it for well being, I see no point. If you're eating healthy and you're fairly active you will gain health and you will grow leaner.

If you want to know how many calories you are burning, you'll need one. It's also useful for those people that eat back their exercise calories.
  • shaunshaikh
    shaunshaikh Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    If you want an accurate estimate of how many calories you burn during a workout, a HRM with the chest strap is the best way to go. If you go by MFP's numbers, there are big chances for discreptancies. Your individual calorie burn depends on your size, fitness level, etc. A HRM would be able to work that all out, as well as your level of "effort' during a workout. A person who's in great shape and has great running economy is going to burn a way different number running 2 miles than a person who is out of shape, heavier, and doesn't have good running economy.

I mean, you could take the stance that numbers don't matter and just eat healthy and listen to your body, but if that was your stance then why are you on this website? The whole poitn of this website is understanding the numbers part of your body and being accountable for the numbers. It's understanding that your Pasta meal with creamy sauce and shrimp at TGIF was really 1,400 calories and full of fat and also understanding that doing Yoga for 30 minutes might only mean burning 80 calories.
  • JeriBlair
    JeriBlair Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    OK. That makes sense to me. Will you be my friend? I like to understand this stuff and it seems you do. Or know where to find out.
  • jammyone
    Options
    If you want an accurate estimate of how many calories you burn during a workout, a HRM with the chest strap is the best way to go. If you go by MFP's numbers, there are big chances for discreptancies. Your individual calorie burn depends on your size, fitness level, etc. A HRM would be able to work that all out, as well as your level of "effort' during a workout. A person who's in great shape and has great running economy is going to burn a way different number running 2 miles than a person who is out of shape, heavier, and doesn't have good running economy.

I mean, you could take the stance that numbers don't matter and just eat healthy and listen to your body, but if that was your stance then why are you on this website? The whole poitn of this website is understanding the numbers part of your body and being accountable for the numbers. It's understanding that your Pasta meal with creamy sauce and shrimp at TGIF was really 1,400 calories and full of fat and also understanding that doing Yoga for 30 minutes might only mean burning 80 calories.

It's all about estimates, you don't need a HRM to do that. It's the same with food, it's just estimates. I think if you spend too much time worrying about a few calories burned or not burned, you're not going to focus on the job in hand which is to get fitter and fitter. Whenever I see someone on a run who has a HRM strapped to them, they don't look like they're working at all - just someone who is trying to find a easy way out. I know someone who will spend lots of money each week on supplements and exercise equipment and then not even bother to use the stuff. I guess what I'm saying is, stop messing around with equipment, get out there and make some blood and sweat.
  • mideon_696
    mideon_696 Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    Each to thier own guys. Each to thier own... :wink:
    I use one. I like it. If im slacking, it tells me, and i push harder (on cardio ****). If i doing some long slow fasted cardio, then i want my HR in the 105-120 range the whole time...so it tells me if i go under/over, and i adjust pace accordingly... :wink:

Waste of time? Hardly. Mine doubles as fully functional training watch as well...great for my interval stuff...allows me to measure and record each individual interval...I like my numbers, what can i say. Some dont care...Again..each to thier own.
    I got mine with my VISA points...i never let the card acrew interest, so i got it for Free, hehehehe.