Feet hurt when doing certain exercises...

Options
I was just looking to see if anyone had the same problem as me. When I do certain exercises that involve me jumping up and down like for instance jumping jacks, the kickbox shuffle, "jump rope" or anything of that manner my feet start to hurt like i've been walking all day. I'm wondering if its my sneakers. I do need to buy new ones and they are old but generally they feel really comfortable and seem to fit right so i dont know! I'm also wondering if it's just my weight causing this (im currently 245). i dont think i have flat feet or anything.. but its the strangest feeling in my feet like they are being squeezed too tight or something! i could take the pain in my shins or calfs but idk why its happening in my feet! it really does interrupt my workout because its gets to be painful. would anyone have a clue about what the cause of this is?

Replies

• chiliflea
    chiliflea Posts: 695 Member
    Options
    I sometimes get that too so I'm interested in any replies that may have any solutions!
  • luv2ash
    luv2ash Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    do make sure you have decent cross trainer shoes on, and are tied well. Also, make sure you stretch, even your feet before and after a workout. This may improve with weight loss, but if not do consider mentioning it to your physician.
  • janalayn
    janalayn Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    I would check with my doctor to make sure it isn't a medical problem. Otherwise try different shoes and see if the problem persists.
  • muffintop15
    Options
    Does the pain only show up when exercising? If so, sounds like it could be the shoes. Maybe not enough arch support?

For example, I have plantar fasciitis in my feet, more in the heel area. I ache all the time and even moreso when I exercise. I take Hyaluronic Acid, a natural supplement that seems to help the pain.
  • miznel80
    miznel80 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    It will definately improve with weight loss and muscle gain. My feet and legs used to hurt a lot during some exercises but I've built up some muscle and it helps. Now mostly, I just feel the soreness of my muscles.
  • poisongirl6485
    poisongirl6485 Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    If the shoes do not have proper arch support and you over-pronate, then that could be causing it due to the other muscles trying to compensate for the off-balance of the foot. I have this happen when I jog.
  • Kelleyrh5
    Kelleyrh5 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Well from my experience with my feet problems I found out that I have whats called "Morton's Neuromas". Which is a not that starts to form in the nerves of your feet, precisely between the 2 small toes. This has become extremely difficult to exercise on my feet so my routines have been cut back big time.

What are your symptoms? Mine started with the numbing of the last 2 toes of my feet and then progressed with my feet hurting so bad that the pain would go up into my ankles. I now have to have foot surgery, which sucks but i wll be able to get back into the exercising within 4-6 weeks. Right now i can only do like 30 minutes of spinning and 15 minutes of treadmills.. all other classes are out of the question until then.

Check with your doc, and in the mean time use a frozen water bottle on your feet after you exercise to help with the pain and i always take ibuprophen afterwards too.

Good luck!
  • Missy_Monroe
    Missy_Monroe Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I have the same experience. Just yesterday I went for a 30 min (somewhat brisk) walk in the park and then spent an additionl 30-40 mintues leisurely walking through different markets in town and I was fine. later in the day i tried my aerobics dance workout (on the wii) and within in just 10 minutes my feet were hurting (bad enough that I had to stop for the day)... in the SAME way you described.
    I don't know what it is for sure, but for me personally i believe it may just be a combination of my weight and being out of shape. Thats just from my own experience in the past, i have noticed that the pain goes away with time and as exercising becomes more regular. I think it's like any other muscle in your body... if you're not used to using those muscles in that particular way, you have to build up resistance and strength. I pondered if it could be the shoes, but they don't seem to hurt me during 'less intense' exercises.
  • lornarixon
    lornarixon Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I sometimes get terrible pain in my feet when exercising...even walking, let alone high impact exercises. I have flat foot and overpronation, and being over weight makes the pain worse. Is the pain consistently in the same place? The arches, or the heal perhaps? I suggest getting cushioned trainers with for example, arch support. I have found them a life saver, along with othoses, which I had specially made by a podiatrist.
    Perhaps start with good supportive trainers. Depending on the amount of exercise you are doing...I have heard that runners need to replace their trainers every 4-6 months, and failure to do so can cause injury.
    If this does not help. I would suggest seeing a podiatrist.
    good luck with getting that sorted
  • riley711
    riley711 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I sometimes get terrible pain in my feet when exercising...even walking, let alone high impact exercises. I have flat foot and overpronation, and being over weight makes the pain worse. Is the pain consistently in the same place? The arches, or the heal perhaps? I suggest getting cushioned trainers with for example, arch support. I have found them a life saver, along with othoses, which I had specially made by a podiatrist.
    Perhaps start with good supportive trainers. Depending on the amount of exercise you are doing...I have heard that runners need to replace their trainers every 4-6 months, and failure to do so can cause injury.
    If this does not help. I would suggest seeing a podiatrist.
    good luck with getting that sorted

I get the terrible pain in my feet too. Never had to buy sneakers regularly before...they used to last so long due to lack of wear. But even though the ones I'm currently wearing still have life left in them, thy're at least 6 months old. So, I guess my next retail therapy session will have to include new sneakers!!! My the way, my podiatrist did prescribe an orthotic to insert into my shoes. And you can also go to a "good" shoe store that has a machine to map your feet and recommend an orthotic to match your feet. Those work well too.
  • shellyb88
    Options
    I get the same exact problem you describe, especially with jumping or doing yoga barefoot. Running, elipitical, and most weights isn't a problem but aerobics can make me want to cry. I play competitive womens volleyball, in my 40's, and I'm overweight. I buy new shoes from the good "running" stores every 6 months and I have inserts from the good "running shoe" stores. It helps quite a bit but stretching and advil is the only release I get. They hurt for about the first 15 minutes of playing volleyball or aerobics but then it quits. I think it's just part of getting older. My opinion, stretching the bottom of your foot, heel and calves before, during. and after exercise and really good shoes replaced every 6 months and some advil. I wear mizunos. The muscles in the bottom of your foot shrink as you get older or with weight gain can weaken them. Also drink more water, caffeine can cause muscles to be dehydrated causing injury also. Tight calves can cause pain in your foot or achillis. I have 40 pounds till goal weight so I'm hoping it improves with more weight loss. Good luck!
    All of my volleyball team ,who is now in their 40s and 50's( we've been playing together since college and some are avid marathon runners/cylcists) :smile: have either shoulder or feet aches. Somedays it just sucks being over 21!
  • Denjo060
    Denjo060 Posts: 1,008
    Options
    For most of my life I did jobs where I stood and did a lot of aerobic type workouts i went to the Dr he said I have osteoarthritis in my feet and my arches are falling so My feet hurt doing all of these things including Zumba my favorite exercise

I forgot to add I have heel spurs too :cry:
  • meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options
    Get some high inpact shoes nike has some great ones i have bad feet as well
  • Balanvita
    Balanvita Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Consider going to an Orthopedist. I had the same problem and decreased my exercise because I worried that I had ligament damage. I finally went to the DR & discovered that I had arthritis (early - I was 40 when It started becoming painful). I'm much heavier than I should be and it has taken a toll on my joints. Sometimes It just hurts, but I can live with that knowing that I'm not further damaging my body and that losing weight is the best thing I can do to eventually reduce the pain. I make sure to take care of my joints and do everything I can to reduce inflammation, but I know I don't have to (and shouldn't) stop exercising. Good Luck!
  • fvshubsch
    fvshubsch Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem, only with certain exercises, not all of them. I walk, run, do heavy lifting, no problems. However, when I do jump rope or jumping jacks only, my feet ache like crazy for a few minutes until the muscles relax. I always figured it had something to do with not doing that motion enough to build up the muscles, but honestly after reviewing some videos for the first time that someone took while I was doing them, I thought it must be my form.

For some odd reason, I found out when I do the jumping jacks, I completely splay the bottom half of my leg out and basically land with my feet turned completely in, toes pointed at each other. This explains the pressure and strain on the muscles, since this is not a normal movement. Now, this probably isn't the case with you, but it's a good reminder to ALWAYS check your form. I've been extremely active all my life, but only recently started working with a trainer. Since I have, it has opened my eyes to numerous movements I never once considered I had a problem with, only now to figure out I've been doing so many things the wrong way (wrong positions, alignment, landing at angles I wasn't aware of, etc.). Now that I'm aware of position and correct form, it's amazing what a difference it has made in my results!

Anyway, best thing to do is to check form, give it a couple weeks and see if it gets better or worse (but don't overdo it), then if that fails, consult a doctor. It should be pretty easy to figure it out with some xrays if its arthritis or a skeletal or structural problem that needs to be addressed. Hope it works out for you!

• rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    I was having really severe foot problems when I started but they have lessened with time and weight loss. I went to a good store with a scanner/mapping machine for their recommendations but I don't think the salesperson knew what he was doing - the shoes he put me in hurt and slipped just walking around, much less exercising, and he seemed to be recommending the exact same thing before and after using the scanning machine, not based on anything personal. I ended up buying cheaper shoes and a gel insert, which helped. I also do impact movements like jumping jacks on a foam floor mat, which really made a difference.