What to throw in a smoothie?

Options
msarro
msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
So, I finally decided to make a smoothie tonight, and it went pretty well. I used 1 cup of low fat vanilla rice milk, about half a tray of ice cubes (they're tiny ice cubes), 1 tbsp of peanut butter, 3/4 cup of frozen mixed berries, 1 cup of water, and 1/4 cup of plain nonfat yogurt.

The problem is, it tasted kind of like wet cardboard with frozen berry flavoring. It made a lot, and it was cold so I enjoyd it either way. However, I've still got a ton of each ingredient left and I'd like to improve the flavor on the next batch. Can anyone make some suggestions on what I could add to make it a bit more flavorful? I've heard vanilla extract.. and I've got apples and oranges in the fridge, and I think 2 kiwis. I'm out of bananas so that's kind of a no-go.

Any suggestions would be great.

Replies

• msarro
    Options
    So, I finally decided to make a smoothie tonight, and it went pretty well. I used 1 cup of low fat vanilla rice milk, about half a tray of ice cubes (they're tiny ice cubes), 1 tbsp of peanut butter, 3/4 cup of frozen mixed berries, 1 cup of water, and 1/4 cup of plain nonfat yogurt.

The problem is, it tasted kind of like wet cardboard with frozen berry flavoring. It made a lot, and it was cold so I enjoyd it either way. However, I've still got a ton of each ingredient left and I'd like to improve the flavor on the next batch. Can anyone make some suggestions on what I could add to make it a bit more flavorful? I've heard vanilla extract.. and I've got apples and oranges in the fridge, and I think 2 kiwis. I'm out of bananas so that's kind of a no-go.

Any suggestions would be great.
  • allie5199
    allie5199 Posts: 240
    Options
    when I make smooties I combine:
    1 dannons light and fit yogurt (6 oz)
    half cup of milk
    1 cup of frozen fruit
    about 3-4 ice cubes

This is about 160 calories and it makes at least 16oz...sooo good!
  • age1389
    age1389 Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    1/2 a cup of dannon light and fit ( vanilla flavored)
    1/2 cup silk soy milk
    1 cup of any fruit ( I use blueberries and strawberries and sometimes peaches, usually frozen)

It's yummers:tongue:

-Adrienne:heart:
  • B4baby3
    B4baby3 Posts: 17
    Options
    You can also try putting frozen juice concentrate in it. It doesn't add many calories but a ton of flavor. I love you use orange juice concentrate with fresh blueberries and strawberries. I also add 4 oz of Fiber One Yogurt, it adds fiber but only 80 caloires and no fat. You don't have to add any sweetner if you use the yogurt.
  • Healthier_Me
    Healthier_Me Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    vanilla soymilk
    frozen fuit ( :heart: raspberries & blackberries b/c of the seeds)
    almonds
    yogurt (whatever kind I have on hand)
    sometimes a bit of honey
    sometimes ice
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    I use yogurt, frozen fruit (any kind works), and fruit juice (usually orange or pineapple, you can spice it up with any flavour you like though. I don't use ice. if I'm using frozen fruit, that's enough texture usually, if I use fresh fruit I use frozen yogurt instead of regular yogurt.
  • spaul82478
    spaul82478 Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    I use about a cup of fresh strawberries
    1/4 cup of skim milk
    1/2 cup of fat free edy's vanilla yogurt ice cream/

YUMMY and my bf loves it

today i added a banana to mine too.... :bigsmile:
  • age1389
    age1389 Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    I use about a cup of fresh strawberries
    1/4 cup of skim milk
    1/2 cup of fat free edy's vanilla yogurt ice cream/

YUMMY and my bf loves it

today i added a banana to mine too.... :bigsmile:

Yummm I will have to try the yogurt ice cream next time:drinker:

-Adrienne:heart:
  • shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
    Options
    All I put in mine is ice, skim milk (1 cup), Splenda, and 1 banana. Tastes just like a banana milkshake! I think about drinking those things during my bike rides--it's what keeps my feet pedaling!

(the only time I can "afford" a banana is after a long ride, otherwise bananas spike my blood sugar.)banana.gif
  • tamrajd
    tamrajd Posts: 86
    Options
    i made this smootie when u firs:smile: t posted it a little while a go. it is soooo yummmy. very refreshing.:smile:
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    my favorite "treat" smoothie (it's high in sugar, so not for everyday)

is: one frozen banana, one cup of chocolate soy milk and a scoop of protein powder (optional).

delish!

I also like:

frozen mango
    plain yogurt
    enough water to "liquefy".
    again, if it's to replace a meal, I throw in the protein powder.
  • msarro
    Options
    Hmm, thanks for the suggestions all! I think I may have just added too much ice/water yesterday to get what I was looking for flavor wise. I'll give it another shot tonight if I can 'afford' the calories. :smile:
  • shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
    Options
    I'd leave out the PB--that just doesn't sound good to me in a smoothie at all!