Male Runners - Running shorts?

Options
gp79
gp79 Posts: 1,799 Member
This may be a odd question but what are your preferences in running shorts (brand / cut) and why? Please no spandex versions!

Replies

• Newfiedan
    Newfiedan Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    lol the no spandex comment make me choke on my water. Anyhow I get the looser sym shorts from sportmart here in canada, not sure of the brand name but they are cut just above the knee and are a looser fit, super comfy to run in. Adidas shorts have the same feel if you can find the longer cut ones.
  • gp79
    Options
    Haha I figured I'd get someone who loved to wear spandex, but that would leave little to the imagination! I tend to prefer the short cut versions but not the ones that are slit up the sides practically to the waistband. I just don't know which brand / style to go for.
  • MassiveDelta
    MassiveDelta Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    Im interested in the responses as well However I'm sure as I get more into Tri I will be using Spandex more often than not.
  • chuckyp
    chuckyp Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I use some longer cut drawstring gym shorts I got from Sports Authority years ago. I like that they have zipper pockets so I can keep a house key, etc with me while I run without losing it.
  • GURLEY_GIRL3
    GURLEY_GIRL3 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    IDK...IM FEMALE..BUT IF U GET THE SHORTY RUNNING SHORTS FOR THE LOVE OF GOD PUT SOME SPANDEX UNDER IT!!!
  • bosox729
    bosox729 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    You're asking for a tall order, my friend. It's pretty hard to find any "running shorts" that aren't split.

What's your shame level?
    I ask this because, personally, as a service to all humanity, I tend to not actually wear "running shorts". Nike has some nice ones though that aren't too awkward/revealing: Nike Men's 3" Race Day shorts aren't too shabby.

I tend to stick with my Nike or Adidas athletic shorts whether I go for a run, bike, or a walk. They might be a whee bit baggier than running shorts, but I've never ever had a problem with any of them.
  • sweetheart03622
    sweetheart03622 Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    I have to agree with the other lady... seeing a guys super pale yet ultra hair upper thighs is never attractive. Now spandex... that might be fun to run behind =) wanna be my motivation? :laugh:
  • neuscga
    Options
    Run in whatever shorts you want just get the underwear right. I have worn all kinds but UnderArmour orginals with 9" inseam are my favorite and have been for the past 4 months. I wouldn't be caught dead running around in Ranger panties.
  • gp79
    Options
    Lol...03622...you're crazy! I'm frightened at the thought of ultra hairy quads...wow! Ranger panties = freedom. Maybe I'll just go down to the clothing and sales and be done with it.

Bosox the Nike shorts you mentioned are exactly what I was looking for, short, and cut enough on the sides so they don't offer any resistance in your stride. Thanks! Going to go check out the reviews and order a pair if all looks good.
  • FrenchMob
    FrenchMob Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    For just running, cheap, regular shorts from Walmart. You don't need anything fancy for that. When I do triathlon brick workouts, I wear my tri shorts (spandex type) because they have the felt padding for the bike and a brick workout is all about practicing the transition from bike to run with as little time in between as possible.
  • vzepol
    vzepol Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Ha ha, I always wear spandex under my shorts.
  • backinthenines
    backinthenines Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    My OH is a fell runner / road runner & triathlete. For running he wears loose, short running shorts... I think he likes Adidas best, but he's very lean. For tri brick sessions he weard mid-length lycra tri shorts or tri suit (I guess that's what you call 'spandex'?).
  • Newfiedan
    Newfiedan Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    just go with what feels comfortable to you, I guess the shorts I use are more like basketball shorts and boxer breifs ftw lol. I do not like short shorts that are mid thigh or higher on me, on women though thats a different story lol.
  • jenhudgins
    Options
    This guy at the gym i work out wears shorts that are shorter then his fingertips, and they are the swishy kind, and they go up on the sides....*shudder*. It makes me feel creepy cause sometimes he talks to me and my friends.
  • hroush
    hroush Posts: 2,073 Member
    Options
    I always wear basketball shorts (knee length athletic), but I have to be careful as I have had some start to slide a couple times (drawstring not tight enough and too loose elastic), which is not fun for me and probably not for the people around me either.
  • sweetheart03622
    sweetheart03622 Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    This guy at the gym i work out wears shorts that are shorter then his fingertips, and they are the swishy kind, and they go up on the sides....*shudder*. It makes me feel creepy cause sometimes he talks to me and my friends.

Like I said... pale, hairy man quads... ew.

One rule for men summertime running = no shirt. Especially if you have a nice chest :love:
  • HawkeyeGuy
    Options
    You know what, if you're running you're doing better than 90% of the world driving by seeing you anyway. I do wear the split shorts on my long runs, or I'll chafe if I do over 8-10 miles. (Even with lube.) Screw the people who talk about 'shame levels'...let the passerby's giggle their fat a$$es off while you get in shape. Who you getting in shape for in the first place...them or you?
  • runnerdad
    runnerdad Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    My favorite shorts for my long runs are made by Nike - sorry, don't know the name - but they are 6-9 inch inseam and semi-loose fit (for all those modesty issues), but they have a compression spandex) liner, so they don't chafe. Don't even need my bodyglide
  • mistawalka
    mistawalka Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    My favorite shorts for my long runs are made by Nike - sorry, don't know the name - but they are 6-9 inch inseam and semi-loose fit (for all those modesty issues), but they have a compression spandex) liner, so they don't chafe. Don't even need my bodyglide

I got a similar pair to these from Adidas, the lycra inner is great for keeping the boys under control and cuts out chaffing.
  • HawkeyeGuy
    Options
    I guess the best bet is get a few pair and try them out...I've tried the spandex lined shorts, but they still chafe me all up.