cardio exercises without using my treadmill?

miss_thang1619
miss_thang1619 Posts: 13
edited September 24 in Fitness and Exercise
What kind of cardio exercises can I do at home that don't require any equipment? I like to just blast the tunes and move. I'd like to get a jump rope..I suppose jumping jacks...what else? I also have 4 flights of 8 steps that I can use for variety....;/

thanks and feel free to add me if you like :)

Sunny

Replies

• kittytrix
    kittytrix Posts: 557 Member
    Jump rope, jumping jacks, burpees, mountain climbers, shadow boxing.

These are all great cardio exercises that help burn calories!
  • velix
    velix Posts: 437 Member
    when I can't get to the gym, I use the last step (in the basement) to do "aerobic stepping" - you can get a good pace going. I do 10 minute steady pace, 5 minutes of 30 sec intervals of as fast as I can go without tripping, then 5 minutes rest - steady pace and then another 5 minutes intervals, finishing up with 10 minutes of steady pace. I sweat as much as I do on the elliptical at the gym, and today, will be testing the actual calories burned with my newly acquired hrm. (will edit for cals burned when I am done).
  • I just us my bottom step and use it as an aerobic step. I usually do this on days I cant get to the gym
  • Everything you suggested are great options...you may also want to try some workout DVDs. They are very helpful as well.
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    There is the old fashion running or walking outside.
  • hey sunny

you could always try leslie sansone, walk at home. i have 11 of her dvd's and LOVE THEM. you need a space in front of your tv and you're good to go!!!:wink:
  • Thank you so much for all the ideas! :)

I am in a small town and the library here only has yoga dvds, I want something that pumps me up and gets my heart rate up. I am going to see if the library in the next town will send some over to mine. Our library cards apparently work at a lot of libraries out of town.

As for the old fashioned walking outside, I do that with my puppy, I think I will try to bump it up to jogging with my puppy, I think that will benefit both of us :)

Thanks again!!
  • Not sure where you are, but with our cable we have a ton of "on demand" channels and one of them is work outs on demand. There's probably like 100 different work outs and tons are cardio and dancing. Its great to mix it up. Search through your cable and see if you have a channel like that. Also, stepping is great and you can get a step from walmart for like 20 bucks. my favorite step routine i've found so far, and i hate to say, cuz I don't like her personally, is kim kardasian's step. Also, look online with your library. Where I live, we can order online from any library in the county and they will deliver DVDs to your home for free! Pretty cool. hope that helps.
  • MissingMinnesota
    MissingMinnesota Posts: 7,486 Member
    My trainer had me do what she calls the 7 deadly sins the other day. Two of the 7 you might not be able to do with out the pull up equipment but this is the routine

it's 7 sets of 7 reps of 7 exercise done as fast as you can, but keeping good form.
    1) pull ups
    2) push ups
    3) box jumps (you could jump up on a stair)
    4) squats (we did them with weights but you don't have to)
    5) burpees
    6)kettle bell swings (if you don't have kettlebell or weight use something like a jug of water)
    7)hanging knee tucks

The only two that really require any type of equipment are the pull ups and hanging tucks. You could subsitute any type of crunches for the hanging tucks and get an exercise band and do shoulder presses instead of the pull ups.
  • kittytrix
    kittytrix Posts: 557 Member
    My trainer had me do what she calls the 7 deadly sins the other day. Two of the 7 you might not be able to do with out the pull up equipment but this is the routine

it's 7 sets of 7 reps of 7 exercise done as fast as you can, but keeping good form.
    1) pull ups
    2) push ups
    3) box jumps (you could jump up on a stair)
    4) squats (we did them with weights but you don't have to)
    5) burpees
    6)kettle bell swings (if you don't have kettlebell or weight use something like a jug of water)
    7)hanging knee tucks

The only two that really require any type of equipment are the pull ups and hanging tucks. You could subsitute any type of crunches for the hanging tucks and get an exercise band and do shoulder presses instead of the pull ups.

These sound awesome! I will have to try these when I get better.
  • missie21
    missie21 Posts: 103 Member
    hey sunny

you could always try leslie sansone, walk at home. i have 11 of her dvd's and LOVE THEM. you need a space in front of your tv and you're good to go!!!:wink:
    [/quote

i agree ... I have one of here DVD's and I love it.....]
This discussion has been closed.