binges

Options
has anyone else reached their goal weight & then started having random binges?

or have you been on this site for several months.. found it to be easy in the beginning, then started missing the "comfort food" & found yourself eating it more than you know you should?

how did you overcome it? or are you still battling it?

Replies

• swenard
    swenard Posts: 101
    Options
    It's funny that you ask this question, as I have been missing some foods yesterday and today and feeling hungrier the ever! I've especially been missing the rice and pasta I would have eaten so much more often.

I'm curious to know which is the best way to handle it.
  • merrillfoster
    merrillfoster Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    I'm definitely still battling it. I'm trying to control it by allowing myself to indulge on occasion and trying not to get carried away. I can't imagine a life entirely devoid of, say, mac and cheese, and I don't think I want to (however, i want to want to, lol). I think you can deprive yourself for awhile but eventually it catches up. You're better off allowing yourself a little bit to curb the craving then getting back on track after.
  • dmoses
    dmoses Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    yep, having that very same problem. i've been at my goal weight since about october. i used to be able to take one small bite of something sinful and be done. now, one bite doesn't cut it. if it's there, i'm going to eat it all. i'm not sure when this happened, but i wish i could stop it!
  • Katcatters
    Katcatters Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I'm watching this, because I havent reached my goal yet, but half way ther and, now and again have the same thing.
    My "guide" through this has suggested taking a pen and paper and start writing down, when you feel like binging, what has happened recently, who was there, what you were thinking, just everything, it doesnt need to make sense to anyone or be correct grammer, just get it all down. Once its all down you can begin to recognise what emotion or event has made you feel like over eating - it takes practice, and each time isnt always the same reasons, but its helped me... I know it sounds a barmy - but its worked for me and anything is worth a try!
    I'll be watching this post to see what others can advise, 'anything that helps!
  • Amandac6772
    Amandac6772 Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options
    I haven't really cut out any food. I still have a biscuit occassionally and I always have a spoonful of macaroni when I fix it for my son. The thing is I just build those things into my calories for the day.
  • AmeMahoney
    Options
    All food can be part of a healthy lifestyle. If you want something, plan to have a small portion of it. If it's something like mac and cheese (or whatever), and you think you can't stop at just one portion, have someone else around who will help eat it or THROW IT AWAY. That's right, pull out your portion, and dump the rest in the garbage can. Throw something gross on top of it (cat littler is a great option) and tie up the trash and take it out so you won't smell it after you're done. I've had to do this in my life. Seriously. No starving children in Africa died because I threw away most of a $1 box of mac & cheese. When you get comfortable with being able to throw food away, you will worry less about binges and such because you will know that you don't HAVE to eat it all, and you can keep your portions under control.

I also share food with others instead of throwing it away when possible. With money being tight, most people see throwing food away as blasphemous. I see it as saving on future medical costs I would incur had I eaten it. :)
  • mssugarca
    Options
    Oh man yes I was really close to goal once, I lost 50lbs doing weight watcher. It is very similar to this site but you pay for it, anyway it was super easy at the beginning. it felt like all my weight was just melting away. Each week i weighed in I was loosing weight. It took me about a year and lost 50lbs. Then I dunno what happened. I started to feel exactly how you posted, I got complacent. I stopped tracking, I stopped excersing and I just kept thinking I could do it on my own or I would justify what I was eating knowing that I could lose it if I put the weight back on. It's been two years now almost all my weight it back and I lost my motivation and the weight is just not coming off as easier. I actually quit weight watchers after I found this site because I felt excited once again.

Honey hold on think about where you were when you decided you wanted to lose the weight and fake it until you make it cause it really really sucks putting all your weight back on after the hard work you put in trying to get it off.....keep at it
  • sjcply
    sjcply Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    been there done that! I reached my goal in July 2010......after I lost the weight I started adding more carbs back to my diet and that started it all over again. The more carbs I eat the more I want! :sad: I have days that I do really well, and days that are just horrible!

SO, I am starting over fresh from the start like I did when I first got on MFP......I am ordering shakeology and going to start a new workout, to try to get back in the healty mindset that I was in with p90x!

Maintenance is much harder than losing!, I just have to remind myself that this is not a "Diet" but a lifestyle change. It is okay to have small portions of the foods I want, but I cant let it go beyond that, (thats the hard part)!

Winter is super hard for me, because I hate cold weather.....I swear I was a bear in my former life because I hybernate in the winter!
  • carolinegeorgia
    Options
    I'm struggling with this, can't do the have 1 biscuit, have to have loads so still have to not have them, I find maintaining harder then losing the weight :(
  • dmoses
    dmoses Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    I'm glad you have said this - maintaining is so much harder than losing! I can't figure it out!
  • lauraehaywood
    Options
    Sometimes I have those cravings too, for the comfort food, and I choose to have a normal or smaller portion of the craving, and then I work out extra that day, so I feel like I earned that small taste. But eventually, I think I decide that the small portion is not worth the hard work later and I just phase the bad food out and find a healthy option that remind me of the bad food. For example, having a sugar-free Jell-O dark chocolate pudding cup when I'm craving the Valentine's Day Candy! It's working so far for me. I hope you are able to find what works for you too. Good work so far.
  • einc80
    Options
    :( some days i have absolute no control at all! i dont know how to help this problem. i could start off the day doing wonderful but then at some point i break down and just go crazy....
  • amstein18
    Options
    Thank you sooo much to everyone who responded. I've recently been having trouble with food & hearing all of your input comforts me & gives me hope! Good luck to all of you!!
  • cclala
    cclala Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Thank you sooo much to everyone who responded. I've recently been having trouble with food & hearing all of your input comforts me & gives me hope! Good luck to all of you!!

I am going through this right now. I just started maintaining last week, and ended up "celebrating" by eating everything that wasn't nailed down. It's like my brain thought WOOHOO, WE'RE DONE HERE! And my appetite flared up to accommodate.

The thing that got me back on track today was that even after 4 days of pigging out and slacking on exercise my body changed. My arms aren't as firm, my stomach pooches out, and my energy level is not the same. My self confidence has taken a small hit.

Pay attention to the little changes, and try to remember why you're doing this and the difference it makes in your psyche and self esteem. Also, don't check out on MFP, logging in daily is crucial, even if just to say hi.

Keep me posted, I know how you feel-
  • serendipity_2050
    Options
    Im nowhere near my goal weight and I have random binges lol!! :laugh:
  • appleshells
    Options
    Huge binge on Saturday at work. I was stressed out, work was slower than normal, I haven't slept well in weeks. All things that lead to my binges.

I have been very good and will allow myself to have everything in moderation and still come under my calories. But I ate like a beast saturday. I am embarassed to admit that. But old habits die so very hard.
  • Elle408
    Elle408 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    I find that if I pre-plan to have a little treat (and I mean little!) in my diary then I spend all day looking forward to it and it holds off the binging thoughts! Then at the end of the day I get really comfy on the sofa with a hot fruit tea and my little treat (1 peanut butter cup/1 square dark chocolate etc.) and savour it!

Case in point: today, I had no treat planned. I didn't have enough calories for it and figured i'd be fine for one night. Come 8pm and I'm climbing the walls worrying about how i'm going to cope until breakfast and it's valentines day and I might as well just have a blow out and raid the chocolate cupboard.... then common sense prevailed and I put a small brownie bite in my plan (67cals and amazing) and a zen-like calm came over me. So yeah, i'm 60 calories over my limit but I certainly don't feel like binging, and it saved me from possibly gorging myself and blowing my limit by hundreds!
  • a2canadian
    Options
    the notion of a "diet" is a horrific misconception. If you want to keep in shape, you have to "change your diet" not "go on a diet." Keep vigilant, avoid eating food that is bad for you but savour everything you eat... conscious eating
  • a2canadian
    Options
    the notion of a "diet" is a horrific misconception. If you want to keep in shape, you have to "change your diet" not "go on a diet." Keep vigilant, avoid eating food that is bad for you but savour everything you eat... conscious eating
  • deedvo
    deedvo Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    bump