I know this has been asked a billion times, but.....

Options
Right now I'm eating 1200 calories a day and haven't been eating back my exercise calories...It's been working really well for me, but after reading the boards I'm a little concerned about the evil starvation mode! I weigh over 200lbs and I'm 5'2 1/2 (hey! that 1/2 totally counts!) I really believe that what I'm doing right now should be fine for my body, right now. I understand that once I get closer to a healthy weight and BMI I will have to up my calories and start eating back exercise calories...I can wrap my head around that.

Am I sabotaging my weight loss by what I'm doing now though? Even though the weight is coming off? eeek! HELP.

thanks ;)

Replies

• dihardcheer86
    Options
    If it's working, keep at it, but when you plateau then I might consider :)
  • MissAnjy
    MissAnjy Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    You're slowing your metabolism and sooner rather than later, your weightloss will come to a screeching halt because of it !!!
    You need to make your NET calories 1200 (or as close as possible to) in order to have enough fuel to run your body correctly.
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    Read these threads - the 1st is a great general summary of the exercise calorie issue, in layman's terms. The second is one user's story of how you may seem fine now, but you can be hurt long-term by not eating enough.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/173853-an-objective-look-at-eating-exercise-calories

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/174065-starvation-mode-is-real-and-ugly
  • Cmccracken1
    Cmccracken1 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    my doctor advised me to lower my calories for 3 weeks but on the 4th week take in more daily it'll keep you bmr from settleing... so i call every fourth week my cheat week and try to eat all my exercise calories that week. i love that week... sigh....
  • diddlee
    diddlee Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'd recommend adding back a good portion of the calories you burn. By keeping the calorie deficit at goal you achieve a consistent weight loss. Too few calories and you may be burning lean tissue to fuel your workouts. Besides, once you are at goal weight, it will be easy to add back in the calories you've been saving until you find a balance point that can be maintained.
  • JPayne53
    JPayne53 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I don't think you are sabotaging your weight loss as of right now... but remember the more weight you have to lose the faster and easier it comes off, no matter if it's a matter of exercise increase or calorie decrease, so eventually you will hit that plateau where something will need to change. My advice is to start using the old calories in vs. calories out method now.. (keep up with your counter whether it goes up or down depending on your activity level) that way when time comes for your plateau it's much easier to break. I think that may be the only thing you are compromising right now.. the ability to change when needed, if you get used to eating less food now.. when it's time to increase your calorie intake you could go 1 of 2 ways.. Overboard and eating any and everything in turn you will then gain whatever weight was lost.. or 2 you stick to the fewest calories possible thinking that's what will help and bam! your body is now in starvation mode, storing every fat cell you have for energy! Ugh.. it's hard but I know you can do it! Jessie Personal Trainer & Nutritionist, Powerblock Gym, Roswell, NM NFPT#21287
  • MommyRobot
    MommyRobot Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I have read those links mentioned, quite a few times actually. I spoke with my trainer tonight and I trust his intelligence, not to mention his long term results. He told me to continue what I was doing until I hit a plateau and gradually add calories back in until I see results.

Thanks everyone for your input!!
  • AGG115
    AGG115 Posts: 62
    Options
    I don't buy into starvation mode as much as others do. I say you do what works for you. This article might help: http://caloriecount.about.com/truth-starvation-mode-ft28742
  • MommyRobot
    MommyRobot Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I don't buy into starvation mode as much as others do. I say you do what works for you. This article might help: http://caloriecount.about.com/truth-starvation-mode-ft28742

Thank you for that article. :) That makes sense to me. On days that I workout with my trainer and take a class or do some exercise on my own, I burn upwards of 1200 calories....There is no WAY I'd be able to eat that all back in the evening and have it be healthy. Sure, I could stop at burger king for a whopper and fries, but that seems pretty counter productive.
  • kwardklinck
    kwardklinck Posts: 1,601
    Options
    It's up to you. Everyone's body is different. If you're not losing more than 2 pounds a week, I'd say keep doing what you're doing. When you hit the dreaded plateau, up your exercise and up your calories.