VEGETARIANS and PROTEIN

Options
Hi fellow veggies! I had a hard time getting enough protein when I first made the switch, but I've gotten a lot better. Once I was successful meeting the protein requirements MFP gave me, I increased my protein intake by 5%. I recently increased it again to 10% because I'm really wanting to tone up. I'm finding it very hard to get 96 grams of protein a day (25% of my daily requirements). I was wondering if any of you other vegetarians who have figured out how to maintain a decent protein intake could let me take a peak at your diary:flowerforyou: THANKS!! Oh, and you are also welcome to check out my diary. Just know that we are coming out of Valentine's Day weekend and my sweet intake is a little high!:blushing: :embarassed:

Replies

• RaeannePemberton
    RaeannePemberton Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    this might sound gross and i'm still researching more info about it.. but i added liquid egg whites to my smoothie this morning. don't know if you are vegan... but they are pasteurized and consumable raw, so no worries there. but it's a nice lean, low cal protein source and i didn't even notice it. i was NOT hungry til lunch so that was awesome.

i used to do a lot of greek yogurt, and cottage cheese until i had to go dairy free as i developed a reaction over time... otherwise, legumes and beans.... tofu, tempeh, miso... soynuts.
  • ✿KẙMb529✿
    Options
    this might sound gross and i'm still researching more info about it.. but i added liquid egg whites to my smoothie this morning. don't know if you are vegan... but they are pasteurized and consumable raw, so no worries there. but it's a nice lean, low cal protein source and i didn't even notice it. i was NOT hungry til lunch so that was awesome.

i used to do a lot of greek yogurt, and cottage cheese until i had to go dairy free as i developed a reaction over time... otherwise, legumes and beans.... tofu, tempeh, miso... soynuts.

Thanks for the reply! The egg idea makes me feel a little queasy...:noway: I only occasionally eat eggs..I eat the other things, but always seem to fall short!! So frustrating!
  • kevanos
    kevanos Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I don`t know if you are against dairy products or not since you are vegetarian, but you could add whey protein to your smoothie for an easy 20g of protein.

Whey protein is derived from milk, great stuff imo
  • swimmermama
    swimmermama Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    I do eat fish, so I don't know how much my diary will help. I usually have over 90 grams of protein a day, though. I've noticed that a fair share of it adds up in things that I wouldn't have expected to have any protein. I make blueberry pancakes with about 8 grams, for example. Also, if eggs gross you out, maybe try eating scrambled eggs in low-cal tortillas with tons of veggies so you taste them less. Just an idea!
  • wriglucy
    wriglucy Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    If you aren't worried about sodium, there's always cottage cheese. I can't eat a lot of it because it's high in sodium, but it also has a lot of protein. I usually fall way short on protein too.
  • hippiechel
    hippiechel Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    edamame might also help and is a good snack. sprinkle sea salt or low-sodium soy sauce unless you're watching sodium intake. i'm also having trouble getting enough protein in. sometimes i turn to processed fake meats but i think i want to try and cut that out of my diet as well. maybe some kind of tofu scramble in the morning, or add tofu to whatever you're making, since it usually just takes on the flavor of the sauces/spices you're using. i love me some string cheese as well (i try to eat vegan whenever i can though.. they need to invent vegan string cheese).

there are also some vegetables that are higher in protein such as spinach, peas, and broccoli. also sweet potatoes and lots of legumes. honestly i am not a fan of beans but i should try to incorporate them into my diet as well.
  • KokomoJoe
    Options
    Even when I was almost "vegan" I still ate fish but in limited quantities. Beans, hemp, Quinoa are great sources of protein. I really don't have dairy now although I am eating eggs currently. The amount of meat I eat is pretty limited and will transition back into vegetarianism again. Working through it slowly.
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    I`d try a vegan protein powder.
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options

Yes...and a great one is Vega. It's wonderful. No artificial anything and no soy. www.myvega.com
    I've been using it for years the chocolate in shakes and the berry all by itself in water.

*edit- I am assuming you're eating legumes, lentils, beans, grains, and soy products.
  • leavinglasvegas
    Options
    I'm all about HEMP! It has all the essential amino acids and lots of fiber. I tend to be low on protien too. I use Trader Joes Hemp Protien Powder in my morning smoothie with a tbsp of PB and a banana. It comes out to 20g of protien and 17g fiber. Seriously jumpstarts my day! I also snack on nuts and put seeds on my salads.

Nutritional yeast is a nice additive too. I mix it into refried beans, sauces, even stews. It can add a cheesy-lke flavor and packs 9 grams of protien plus loads of vitamins including the b's.
  • kevanos
    kevanos Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    someone mentioned quinoa. Good source of protein and I love that stuff. I just recently discovered it, its easy to cook, has a nice flavor, fills you up nicely, its great.

Quinoa with a can of hot pepper sardines. Delicious.
  • sanura
    sanura Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    lots of great answers, I have Interactive Nutrition - Absolute Rice Protein powder. I don't use it everyday, but it's great when I need a more protein. I'm almost completely vegan (the only struggle is dairy on the occaisional pizza night) my diary is open, but not perfect.
  • sanura
    sanura Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    lots of great answers, I have Interactive Nutrition - Absolute Rice Protein powder. I don't use it everyday, but it's great when I need a more protein. I'm almost completely vegan (the only struggle is dairy on the occaisional pizza night) my diary is open, but not perfect.
  • ✿KẙMb529✿
    Options
    edamame might also help and is a good snack. sprinkle sea salt or low-sodium soy sauce unless you're watching sodium intake. i'm also having trouble getting enough protein in. sometimes i turn to processed fake meats but i think i want to try and cut that out of my diet as well. maybe some kind of tofu scramble in the morning, or add tofu to whatever you're making, since it usually just takes on the flavor of the sauces/spices you're using. i love me some string cheese as well (i try to eat vegan whenever i can though.. they need to invent vegan string cheese).

there are also some vegetables that are higher in protein such as spinach, peas, and broccoli. also sweet potatoes and lots of legumes. honestly i am not a fan of beans but i should try to incorporate them into my diet as well.

Edamame!!:grumble: I had somehow forgotten how much I love edamame...I need to go to the grocery store...=)
  • ✿KẙMb529✿
    Options

Yes...and a great one is Vega. It's wonderful. No artificial anything and no soy. www.myvega.com
    I've been using it for years the chocolate in shakes and the berry all by itself in water.

*edit- I am assuming you're eating legumes, lentils, beans, grains, and soy products.

Yes I do. Thanks for the protein powder info!!
  • ✿KẙMb529✿
    Options
    someone mentioned quinoa. Good source of protein and I love that stuff. I just recently discovered it, its easy to cook, has a nice flavor, fills you up nicely, its great.

Quinoa with a can of hot pepper sardines. Delicious.

:embarassed: ??? What is Quinoa and where do I find it in a grocery store?? And thanks for the advice!
  • ✿KẙMb529✿
    Options
    I'm all about HEMP! It has all the essential amino acids and lots of fiber. I tend to be low on protien too. I use Trader Joes Hemp Protien Powder in my morning smoothie with a tbsp of PB and a banana. It comes out to 20g of protien and 17g fiber. Seriously jumpstarts my day! I also snack on nuts and put seeds on my salads.

Nutritional yeast is a nice additive too. I mix it into refried beans, sauces, even stews. It can add a cheesy-lke flavor and packs 9 grams of protien plus loads of vitamins including the b's.

Thanks! Where can I find nutritional yeast in the grocery store?
  • mandavann
    mandavann Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I think Quinoa is a must have staple for a veggie diet. It can be found by the cous cous and grains section in health food sections. I like the brand Ancient Harvest which is pre-washed which is really important to do if you don't get the kind that is pre-washed since it will be bitter.

This is my favorite recipe and it's so good with guacamole!

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Quinoa-with-Black-Beans-and-Cilantro-243392
  • Eskimopie
    Eskimopie Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    bump
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options

Thanks! Where can I find nutritional yeast in the grocery store?

Usually you can find it in the organics section or with the vegetarian foods. I've been a veg my entire life and it's just now starting to be stocked in 'normal' stores. I used to have to go to specialty nutrition stores to buy it.
    If you can't find it check out the Braggs site. They have great stuff also try Bobs Red Mill...it's where I get all my grains.