Getting pedal toe cages!

shorerider
shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
I'm so excited! I just bought some toe cages and pedals for my bike! Yeah, I know, they're kinda of "old school" but I can't afford a new bike right now, nor can I put out close to $200-$300 for cleat shoes and cleat pedals, so toe cages seemed a good option.

I talked to a guy at the bike shop and he said it would be a good start. At least the toe cages will enable me to use both legs to help pedal, so I should see a little more speed and better efficiency the guy said--even though I'll be putting them on my Hybrid, he said I should see a difference.

The pedals I bought are brand new and came off a road bike and include the pedals.

BTW, tfr612ix4.gif, I'm not sure the guy at the bike shop believed me or not. When I said that I'm riding from 80 to 100 miles or over a week with an average speed of about 12 miles, he just kinda of looked like he couldn't believe this mid-age overweight woman was capable of that. But my hubby backed me up and told the guy how proud he was of me! Gotta love that hubby! 0004ni1.gif

Replies

• shorerider
    I'm so excited! I just bought some toe cages and pedals for my bike! Yeah, I know, they're kinda of "old school" but I can't afford a new bike right now, nor can I put out close to $200-$300 for cleat shoes and cleat pedals, so toe cages seemed a good option.

I talked to a guy at the bike shop and he said it would be a good start. At least the toe cages will enable me to use both legs to help pedal, so I should see a little more speed and better efficiency the guy said--even though I'll be putting them on my Hybrid, he said I should see a difference.

The pedals I bought are brand new and came off a road bike and include the pedals.

BTW, tfr612ix4.gif, I'm not sure the guy at the bike shop believed me or not. When I said that I'm riding from 80 to 100 miles or over a week with an average speed of about 12 miles, he just kinda of looked like he couldn't believe this mid-age overweight woman was capable of that. But my hubby backed me up and told the guy how proud he was of me! Gotta love that hubby! 0004ni1.gif
  • stschulz
    stschulz Posts: 340
    Shorerider you are turning into a real pro!
    Congratulations!!!!

The pedals and clips will make your pedal stroke smoother and more efficient. Might even be all you need. You know, I can see that a clipless pedal or as you call it cleats makes a difference for a real pro. They spend endless hours just perfecting the pedal stroke. But for us "normal" people I am not so sure if the difference is really that big. Plus, right now you can wear pretty much any shoe you want. And walk. Do what you like. Bike shoes are often very uncomfortable and too tight and you can't walk in them and...

I have clipless pedals on my old Diamond Frame bike and it was good. Right now on the new bike I enjoy that I can actually get of the bike and walk somewhere. I may change that later but there is no reason to do it right now.

Ohhh... and have you ever seen a rider on a stop light leaning to one side and slowly falling over 'cause guess what... he/she forgot to clip out:laugh: . Major ouch! And embarassing.

Now don't ride too fast with these new pedals lady, there are speed limits ya know :wink:
  • watch48win
    watch48win Posts: 1,668 Member
    Are you in VA beach area? Just wondering if you are riding the boardwalk area?
  • shorerider

No--I'm a little further east than the Beach, although I grew up in the Great Neck area of VA. I live on the Eastern Shore now.
  • shorerider
    Shorerider you are turning into a real pro!
    Congratulations!!!!

Yeah, my hubby says I'm turning into a "bike geek." :tongue:

I just bought one of those little mirrors to clip onto my glasses so I can see cars coming up behind me. And I bought cycling gloves at the bike shop the other day, too. What a difference they make! My hands no longer go numb at all!
  • watch48win
    watch48win Posts: 1,668 Member

No--I'm a little further east than the Beach, although I grew up in the Great Neck area of VA. I live on the Eastern Shore now.

Even better!
  • ohthatbambi
    ohthatbambi Posts: 1,098 Member
    I am buying some gloves TODAY! My hands were so numb after my ride this morning. My wrists are sore too.
  • shorerider
    I am buying some gloves TODAY! My hands were so numb after my ride this morning. My wrists are sore too.

These are great! Cost me $20 and worth every dime. They've even got a ulnar nerve area padding, which is great for me because I have ulnar nerve problems in my left hand.
  • stschulz
    stschulz Posts: 340
    <---- bought a recumbent

no more numb hands
    no more sore butts
    no more stiff necks

no more pain anything!:smile::smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: