I am drinking over 64 oz. of water daily why...

Options
I premeasure my water into the stainless steel water bottles wvery night for the next day. They are 26oz each, I will sip them all day and drink easily 3 of them. Why am I soooo thirsty at night? I wake up parched during the night and in the morning can not wait to have some water, I keep a bottle by my bedside and wet my mouth when I am thirsty.

Replies

• laurieycd
    Options
    Do you sleep with your mouth open possibly?
    That happens to me as well. Its more or less normal.
    Its just your body used to having water threw out the day so when you sleep you just want more. :D
  • WomanofWorth
    WomanofWorth Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    You might have been in a steady state of dehydration. Are you tracking sodium levels and if so, are they high? If not, you might want to be tested for diabetes. One of the hallmark symptoms is excessive thirst.
  • teddmen
    Options
    Have you been tested for diabetes? This is one of the symtoms.
  • merrillfoster
    merrillfoster Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    Check your blood sugar--when I got diabetes (not the answer you wanted, I know)--I couldn't get enough. I was ALWAYS thirsty.
  • dmmsquared
    Options
    Have you been tested for diabetes? If you're drinking that much water, you should not be thirsty.
  • Daisygal31
    Daisygal31 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have read that you should drink 1 ounce of water for every 2 pounds that you weigh. This may be more than 64 ounces for many people. If you are exercising also you may need to drink more to replace what you are losing.
  • Still_Sossy
    Still_Sossy Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    According to my husband I do not, that was actually my first thought. Maybe I am drinking it to fast in the day time and it is not being properly retained? (I tend to run to the little girls room, a lot) I dunno.
  • nath2011
    Options
    Hi,
    How salty is your food? That could be a possible answer... another one is possibly diabetes, but then again there could be a lot. lot. lot more answers!
    To be honest, I don't fit into any of the 2 criterias I mentioned above and I also drink a fair bit if I wake up in the night. However I am totally healthy, so don't worry too much! But next time you go to your GP, you could mention it?
  • katcena
    katcena Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I read somewhere that you can over-do it on the water and the symptoms are the same as dehydration. Did you have this problem before you started drinking so much water? And do you eat a lot of foods that contain water throughout the day? Fruits, vegetables, soups, salads, etc. Be sure to take that into account when counting your water for the day.
  • thankyou4thevenom
    thankyou4thevenom Posts: 1,581 Member
    Options
    I would get checked for diabetes.
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    Do you live in the east coast or the midwest or in a cold state and your heater is working all night? or do you live in the desert where the air is very dry? Do you sleep mostly on your back, forcing your mouth to be open while you sleep?

Is the food that you eat very salted? These may be some of the reason for being thirsty at night. But if you are also thirsty during the day and go the bathroom a lot, then I would recommend checking with your doctor. Thirst and frequent urination may be a symptom of early diabetes.
  • Still_Sossy
    Options
    I read somewhere that you can over-do it on the water and the symptoms are the same as dehydration. Did you have this problem before you started drinking so much water? And do you eat a lot of foods that contain water throughout the day? Fruits, vegetables, soups, salads, etc. Be sure to take that into account when counting your water for the day.

I eat crazy amounts of veggies every day. I love them, actually look forward to them!lol. And I just had labs done in December, you know the routine ones but my doc has the philosophy, if they are gonna stick you might as well be worth your while and checks crazy stuff like thyroid, sugar, ana, ect. Not your average battery of tests. So I think I am clear there. I have been exercising a lot and just started with the lots of water routine with in the past few weeks.
  • udallmom101
    udallmom101 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    I am with everyone else here. My mother was diagnosed with Diabetes and that was one of her symptoms. I know you said in here that your husband says you do not have it, but how does he know? I would go to your doctor and get checked. A full work up will not hurt, and it will probably ease your mind a little.
  • ChristieDF
    ChristieDF Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    To be on the safe side I would get checked for diabetes. And sometimes your iron can be out of wack. Blood work, blood work, blood work. Be safe!!
  • Still_Sossy
    Options
    I am with everyone else here. My mother was diagnosed with Diabetes and that was one of her symptoms. I know you said in here that your husband says you do not have it, but how does he know? I would go to your doctor and get checked. A full work up will not hurt, and it will probably ease your mind a little.

No, my husband said I do not sleep with my mouth open.
  • polo571
    polo571 Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    What color is your uring throughout the day?
  • cheshirequeen
    cheshirequeen Posts: 1,324 Member
    Options
    i personally found that i sleep with my mouth open. I think thats why I am always dehydrated. Are you on any medication? My seizure meds make my mouth dry a lot. I have always drank a lot of water though. Salt does definitely not help.
  • cheshirequeen
    cheshirequeen Posts: 1,324 Member
    Options
    also its very dry in my room at nighttime, so that doesnt help. Usually happens during the colder months when this happens.
  • ShellyMacchi
    ShellyMacchi Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    not sure how long you've been drinking that amount of water..
    but i do recall reading that when you increase your water consumed it does take awhile for your body to become used to that fact that it no longer needs worry about being dehydrated anymore.. but once it does it settles down and things like waking up at night to pee, or feeling thirsty all the time, subsides.
    i have no idea how long 'awhile' is though *LOL*

That's given that of course you've been tested for possible diabetes and that possibility is eliminated.
  • AmeMahoney
    Options
    The only time I do not feel thristy is if I drink 5 or 6 liters of water a day. I drink 4-6 every day. I liter is about 32 oz. It comes out to just over a gallon-and-a-half a day. If I only drink 4 liters, I am invariably still thirsty later at night. (God forbid when I drink less than that - it's terrible.) I've been drinking this amount for that last....I don't know, maybe 13 years? And no, I don't have diabetes.

Exercising can make you thirsty, and if you exercise at night this can contribute. Or maybe you're just one of us people who like a lot of water.