Depo Provera Question For The Ladies

Options
2»

Replies

• Allibaba
    Allibaba Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    I am not on depo anymore, but I still have a mirena IUD and I don't get much of a visit but the other symptoms are still there, which is why I asked to have it removed but that is another long story! I also found the depo shot made me gain weight.
  • bearginger
    Options
    Try drinking more water. Depo causes water retention. This all depends on what your hormone levels are. Talk to your Dr. I have to take depo because it stops me from having seizures (hormonal imbalance). I've taken it 11 years now. I've gained quite a bit of weight, but didn't track my calories consistently. I yo-yo'd a lot because I found dieting very frustrating. I don't think I would take depo if I didn't have too. I would have a iud and use condoms if I was single. That's just me. You have to decide what works best for you, it's different for everybody. But if you are worried about your weight, depo is definately not on your side. Good luck!
  • bearginger
    Options
    I am so sorry, that sounds awful! My experience is totally different with depo. I had seizures related to excess estrogen (Catamenial seizures) and after taking seizure meds for a decade with all sorts of horrible side effects while still having seizures, depo completely stopped them. Yes, I have gained a lot of weight, but overall depo has been a huge blessing for me. I realize I am in a small minority, but I think this goes to show that medications effect everyone differently and you have to work with your Dr. to find the right one for you.
  • colortheworld
    colortheworld Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I've been on it for about 4 years, I think. Haven't had a TOM for three, initially did gain weight but that was due to going from a very active job to a desk job, not because of the shot. I weigh less now than when I started the shot.
    I know a few people that gained on it, but from my POV they used the shot and the doctor saying they might gain weight on it as an excuse to eat more than they should have.
    I do gain some water weight about once a month but that always goes away after a week, I'm usually a bit moodier than too.
    Depo isn't right for everyone, but I love it!
  • NRSPAM
    NRSPAM Posts: 961 Member
    Options
    If you haven't been drinking water like you usually did, like you say, then that may be the culprit. Water flushes out the sodium that causes water retention. I did take depo back in the day, I can recall gaining quite a bit of weight on it, but not really sure about the PMS symptoms. I can say that I have had an ablation in the last year, and while I don't have any flow, I definately still get the PMS symptoms. I actually get them twice a month now, so....yeah. Not sure how much this relates to depo, but just wanted to share to let you know that you can have PMS symptoms without the actual flow part.