heartrate monitor and calorie counter (worth it)

xavierjohn05
xavierjohn05 Posts: 14 Member
edited September 24 in Fitness and Exercise
Hi,
I'm starting to work out and get back in shape and I was thinking about getting a heartrate monitor/calorie counter. I've been hearing all about 'fitness' and 'fat burning' zones and was wondering if it was just a ploy for fitness people to buy stuff or if it was actually real. I've been either a wrestler or wrestling coach for nearly 20 years and I have the old school mentality whereas when you work out you go till you can't go anymore, then go for an extra 10 minutes. I never heard of checking my heart rate or anything, coaches always looked at you and told you that you weren't going to die so go harder (I'll admit, that way always worked).

Anyway, as I'm older and lazier now if this heart rate thing would actually work and so I wouldn't have to kill myself to get back in shape (if its all a bunch of BS I'm not against working out, I just want to see if there is an easier way). So, for you people who have heartrate monitors, which ones are good? bad? I'm not looking to spend a fortune and want one with a strap on my chest, but don't know much about them, so I figured I'd see if you guys knew.

Thanks,
JOHN

Replies

• DianaPowerUp
    DianaPowerUp Posts: 518 Member
    Yes, yes, and yes!!!! I got one for Xmas, and now I have a much more accurate idea of my true burn, and where my HR is, so I know if I need to work harder or not. The calories that MFP says that I'd burn from certain activities is WAY higher than I burn in reality. Same thing with the equip. in the gym. So if you're always overestimating your burn, you'll eat a lot more than you really need to. Get one - they're so worth it. Make sure it's compatible with the equipment in your gym, tho.
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Polar series seem to be the popular ones here. Make sure to get one with chest strap. It has really helped me.
  • seasonalvoodoo
    seasonalvoodoo Posts: 380 Member
    I really like my Sportline Duo 1060. It has been really helpful because MFP overestimates calories burned!
  • StacLegg
    StacLegg Posts: 346 Member
    Santa brought me a Polar and I L:heart: VE it!! I have no idea how I worked out without it!!! I love knowing my exact time, what my heart rate is, how many calories I burn, if my heart rate is in the zone or if I'm slacking.... :noway:
    I definately recommend everyone to get one!!! :drinker:
  • Impala007
    Impala007 Posts: 293 Member
    Well I just strapped on my Polar ft7 that came today and I too am curious to see how it compares to what I have been estimating and also getting off the t-mill. Right now my resting HR is between 45-48.
  • currlygirrl
    currlygirrl Posts: 82 Member
    I have a New Balance women's one and I love it!!! My calorie estimates were all way off in both directions. Plus I play roller derby and I'm trying to increase my endurance level so no I can monitor my heart rate and ramp it up when it gets too low or dial back if it gets to high.
  • shardown
    shardown Posts: 258 Member
    I love my polar FT4 :)
  • I also have a Polar FT7 and I love it. I feel like I'm more accurately counting my calories burned. If you're thinking about getting one I'd do definitely do some research. I'm not sure about other HRMs but on the Polars some of the batteries can't be replaced without taking to an authorized dealer or sending it back to Polar.
This discussion has been closed.