In a bit of a pickle

Options
I was a very bad girl today. I am going to run 6 miles and am pushing for 7 tonight. I have roughly 60 calories left. I know it is terrible to not eat after a workout but I am limited on calories due to my own fault.

Replies

• Naomi91
    Naomi91 Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    60 calories left after your workout? I would say to just get in at least some carbs after, such as some brown rice or crackers. Dont want to risk any sort of muscle break down

so one day of just a tiny bit over wont be too bad :] especially since you will get a little metabolism boost after that sort of run :]
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    Your run should earn you somewhere around 600+ calories though.... so you can afford to eat, no?
  • PlanetVelma
    PlanetVelma Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    Just remember tomorrow's another day. :) I'm sure you can afford to eat a healthy and substantial meal after your workout. :)
  • skinnyme125
    skinnyme125 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    I agree if you have 60 before running then you should be fine. Just log your exercise and it will tell you that you get a lot more calories to eat. Then you eat and you are fine.
  • jen0619
    jen0619 Posts: 414
    Options
    Oh yeah in clarification for everyone. I do have 60 calories left AFTER my run. My runs are usually around 600 calories.
  • Naomi91
    Options
    hats what i figured jen, i would still say just to get at least a little bit of carbs after :]
  • jen0619
    Options
    I am sure I can find a cracker or something miniscule to consume. Thanks :)
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    60 calories left after your workout? I would say to just get in at least some carbs after, such as some brown rice or crackers. Dont want to risk any sort of muscle break down

so one day of just a tiny bit over wont be too bad :] especially since you will get a little metabolism boost after that sort of run :]

We need protein after working out to prevent muscle breakdown, not carbs.

To the original poster: I would go ahead and eat your meal and tomorrow is a new day!! One day is not going to blow your plan.
  • jen0619
    Options

To the original poster: I would go ahead and eat your meal and tomorrow is a new day!! One day is not going to blow your plan.

I have just not had a very good week. Also, I got a cold that hit me fri and is lingering. I didn't workout friday or sunday. So I have had 3 days off this week. I am afraid of going over anymore. I am thinking maybe a slice or two of sandwich meat rolled up with a half a slice of cheese in each?
  • taso42_DELETED
    Options

Need both actually.
  • Naomi91
    Options

No, for a good run you need carbs. want a 2:1 ratio with carbs and protein. Usually complex carb choices have a bit of protein as well so its no worry. After running you need to refill your glycogen stores in your muscles, which comes from carbs not protein.
  • Grokette
    Options

No, for a good run you need carbs. want a 2:1 ratio with carbs and protein. Usually complex carb choices have a bit of protein as well so its no worry. After running you need to refill your glycogen stores in your muscles, which comes from carbs not protein.

I used to be a runner and I still subscribe to Runners magazines and runners websites..............I guess these websites dedicated to running don't have a clue as to what they are talking about????

Post-Run Recovery Starts with Protein

http://runningtimes.com/Article.aspx?ArticleID=17803
  • taso42_DELETED
    Options
    Sorry, can't resist...

I used to be a runner and I still subscribe to Runners magazines and runners websites..............I guess these websites dedicated to running don't have a clue as to what they are talking about????

LMAO. Great link. Here are some highlights

* The key is taking the right amount at the right time, and not skimping on fluids and carbohydrates in the process.

* Dietitians are careful to note that hydration is still king, followed closely by replenishing carbohydrates, with most studies suggesting a 3:1 or 4:1 carbohydrate-to-protein ratio.

* Protein repairs exercise-induced muscle damage, reduces the response from the stress hormone cortisol and even helps speed glycogen replacement, the goal of taking in carbohydrates

But hey, you're the certified expert
  • jen0619
    Options
    I will just have a yummy glass of milk.
  • taso42_DELETED
    Options

Sounds about perfect :)
  • jen0619
    Options

Sounds about perfect :)

• Grokette
    Options
    Sorry, can't resist...

* The key is taking the right amount at the right time, and not skimping on fluids and carbohydrates in the process.

* Dietitians are careful to note that hydration is still king, followed closely by replenishing carbohydrates, with most studies suggesting a 3:1 or 4:1 carbohydrate-to-protein ratio.

* Protein repairs exercise-induced muscle damage, reduces the response from the stress hormone cortisol and even helps speed glycogen replacement, the goal of taking in carbohydrates

The key is that protein is still more important than carbohydrates. Carbs are not as important as everyone makes them out to be.

I know people that do very low carb eating plans and have done so for years and years and are marathon runners.

This is what I practice. I have been fasting after workouts.............

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/post-workout-fasting/
  • Naomi91
    Options
    Sorry, can't resist...

The key is that protein is still more important than carbohydrates. Carbs are not as important as everyone makes them out to be.

I know people that do very low carb eating plans and have done so for years and years and are marathon runners.

I also know many people that do low carb diets and have lost a good amount of muscle mass.
    And I am also a runner and studying dietetics at my university and specializing in athletics.

I am also a division one athlete with a trainer. Are you telling me he has no idea what he is talking about?
    carbs are not something to avoid and are very important in glycogen stores and the recovery proccess

I honestly think you need some more schooling. So maybe you will stop giving out bogus information
  • Grokette
    Options
    Sorry, can't resist...

I also know many people that do low carb diets and have lost a good amount of muscle mass.
    And I am also a runner and studying dietetics at my university and specializing in athletics.

I am also a division one athlete with a trainer. Are you telling me he has no idea what he is talking about?
    carbs are not something to avoid and are very important in glycogen stores and the recovery proccess

I honestly think you need some more schooling. So maybe you will stop giving out bogus information

I am not giving out bogus information.

I also know better than to recommend nutritionally void foods such as crackers after a run.